What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Show us a pic of your garden. How big is big?
I started a garden once. I made it too big. I could not keep up with the weeds. Plus I only tilled it to break ground. I guess you are supposed to kill off the existing vegetation before tilling it under.

not necessarily. you just have to keep a light tilling gowing as they re-emerge until they stop when the summer's heat kicks in.

and there's better alternatives to weed tilling or manual picking:

Weed Dragon® 400,000 BTU Backpack Torch Kit | A.M. Leonard, Inc.

a flamethrower for weeds. how cool is that? i've wanted one for years, but i just can't justify it for my tiny garden and a little kid around.

not necessarily. you just have to keep a light tilling gowing as they re-emerge until they stop when the summer's heat kicks in.

a flamethrower for weeds. how cool is that? i've wanted one for years, but i just can't justify it for my tiny garden and a little kid around.

Some farmers told me that is what they did, kill everything off so it can't reseed when it's tilled under. I guess it depends on the size of your garden whether you can keep tilling weeds under until they get choked out.

I have one of those torches. I bought it for two purposes; to burn weeds and to melt ice. Surprisingly, it doesn't work all that well on ice. Once you get a layer of water on top it pretty much won't keep melting what is underneath. And it does burn weeds, but any small pebbles close by heat up and explode. Enough to hit you.
That's my review anyway. Mine has been sitting for a few years. I've read they make good charcoal/fire starters though.

Some farmers told me that is what they did, kill everything off so it can't reseed when it's tilled under. I guess it depends on the size of your garden whether you can keep tilling weeds under until they get choked out.

One of the instructors in the Master Gardener program suggested putting a sheet of dark plastic over the planting beds for about a month to kill weeds before tilling. I do know about men and their toys, though ;)

Yes, that works, too, GG. Whatever you can do to kill the existing foliage.
The garden I planted was about 25Y x 50Y. It was going good, too, until I just couldn't keep up with the weeds using my hoe. Way more work than I wanted, lol.

Yes, that works, too, GG. Whatever you can do to kill the existing foliage.
The garden I planted was about 25Y x 50Y. It was going good, too, until I just couldn't keep up with the weeds using my hoe. Way more work than I wanted, lol.
Sounds like you should get: Gardening Without Work: For the Aging, the Busy & the Indolent: Ruth Stout, Robert Plamondon: 9780981928463: Amazon.com: Books or one of Ruth Stout's other books.

Someone here recommended it and I'm going to give her system a try this year, in my tiny garden. It involves mulching instead of weeding.

I'm roasting chickpeas

http://wolfepit.blogspot.ca/2013/03/spicy-roasted-chick-peas.html

I made a batch of these on Easter (ate them all). Now I'm roasting a batch using my friend's curry powder (about 2T) instead of the combination Wolfe used. I added some hot pepper flakes, smoked garlic powder, lemon zest. About 3.5 cups of chickpeas fit on my cookie sheet. I ate the rest with some chopped spinach.

I saw one of those yesterday and had no idea what it was supposed to be used for. It was waaaaay overkill for yesterdays' use which was to heat a tip to disbud a baby goat. I am sure a bunsen burner would have been adequate. I also suspect the owner/operator of the torch wasn't using it correctly, the roar made it impossible to hear anything. But it was a cool device.

Anyway, I am off to clean an acequia, a water ditch.

Last edited:
I have a huge new garden. 3 pots of herbs on my balcony :rolleyes:
Damn I wish we could move already!!
We plant about 3 acres...so we have a HUGE garden. It is all for us, the 4 dogs, and chickens--and some that we give away. I have an herb garden that is 4 ft x 8 ft. I'd have to take multiple pictures to show everything. But, we usually put in about 300 tomato plants, 50 pepper plants (hot and sweet), 400 ft of sweet corn, 200 feet of potatoes, 400 feet of beans, 100 ft of peas, I don't know how many feet of squash and pumpkin, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, cabbage and about 10 zucchini plants and several rows of kale, swiss chard, celery, carrots, beets, parsnips, rutabaga, eggplant, bok choy and other things. Oh, and lots of onions. The only thing we don't really have a lot of are blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries.

Last edited:
I'm roasting chickpeas

The Wolfe Pit: Spicy Roasted Chick Peas

I made a batch of these on Easter (ate them all). Now I'm roasting a batch using my friend's curry powder (about 2T) instead of the combination Wolfe used. I added some hot pepper flakes, smoked garlic powder, lemon zest. About 3.5 cups of chickpeas fit on my cookie sheet. I ate the rest with some chopped spinach.
OMG--these are yummy. I don't know that I'll be able to resist eating them all before my road trip (these are for snacking on while driving). OMG. I think the magic is in my friend's curry powder...but these are REALLY good (and will most likely turn my fingers yellow--but Cheetos turn one's fingers orange).

I'm about to do the scanning of one of my client's paperwork. I hope the flatbed scanner on the desktop computer re-installed properly. I don't want to have to use the little, portable NeatScan for this stuff.

We have small plots in a fenced area here that any resident can plant in. They look like unmarked graves. Great idea. Small enough that you can reach the plants from either side. Unfortunately, management didn't give any thought to a place to put the large tools. Rakes, hoe, fork, etc. Every year they prominse to put up a shed for us. But that will never happen. They do have a spigot and hose we can use.

They have discovered that the carpeting put in all the apartments (now more than 15 years) holds onto to the dust and dirt. No matter how much they are cleaned. Yet they are very reluctant to replace the carpeting with out a doctors note. So for now gardening is out of the question. :angel:

I find that 25,000 to 50,000/day IU of Vitamin A works really well for sore throat. Don't take them for more than 10 days - 2 weeks, really. I think it works because Vitamin A has to do with skin and mucous membranes.
Intersting. Thanks for the tip. I should get some. Not moving much today. I am still in my pj's & it's mid afternoon. My sister told me to up my vitamin D3, so I took about 5,000 iu of that this morning. Still no voice this morning, slept with a towel saturated in vicks last night (mom's home remedy) & have been gargling with salt water. If still no relief monday I will be calling the doctor again.

I'm trying to figure out how to use my new doohickey that lets me swipe credit cards to my smartphone. The manual is in PDF and annoying to read on screen, so I printed it. It's light grey writing. :wacko: What a PITA.

Intersting. Thanks for the tip. I should get some. Not moving much today. I am still in my pj's & it's mid afternoon. My sister told me to up my vitamin D3, so I took about 5,000 iu of that this morning. Still no voice this morning, slept with a towel saturated in vicks last night (mom's home remedy) & have been gargling with salt water. If still no relief monday I will be calling the doctor again.

May I suggest that since you have a serious medical illness, you might want to consult your doctor before changing any meds - and OTC drugs and supplements are meds that can affect the way Rx drugs work. I imagine you're having lots of blood work done, so ask for a blood chemistry to see if you're deficient in any vitamins or minerals. Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited:
Sound advice GG. Folks mean well. But what works for them, can create problems for others. Something as simple such as a multi vitamin. It contains Vitamin K. Which helps blood clot. It is often given to a mother just prior to giving birth. Not something you would want a heart or stroke patient to take. :angel:

Good morning!

It is a lovely Sunday morning here...we put our clocks back one hour last night, as daylight savings has finished, so it was nice to get an extra hours sleep :)

Today we are heading out to a few garden centres...we are going to buy a couple of trees/plants for the garden, why not make it even fuller :LOL:

Going to buy a garden clock too as we like to know the time when we are outside as we tend to get carried away with the gardening

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom