What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got back yesterday evening from my out of town visit with my older brother & wife. They're driving from "his" home in TX to "her" home in Maine, and I met them in Jacksonville, FL, after an all-day drive from here in south Florida. We hadn't been listening to news & stuff like that, being busy catching up - hadn't seen them since their wedding in '08. They were sort of scouting the Jax area to see if they want to relocate there -- are planning to sell the "his" and "hers" homes and begin again. He's 75 and she's a bit younger. Got guts, I'll say that for them. They crossed Jacksonville off their possibles list after we spent way too much time in yesterday afternoon's rush hour -- absolutely gridlocked. No fun at all, even if we did chatter on in the car.

Welcome back Lizzie, hope you had a wonderful time :)

Have just had breakfast and now relaxing with a hot coffee :)

It looks like a lovely day out there, heading for 22c today!

Hope everyone is enjoying their evening :)

It's all your clean living that brings you little pieces of serendipity like this. But try not to go whole hog -- didn't Chief Longwind recently offer a substitution in his excellent pancake recipe, with whole wheat flour or something? And of course blueberries are so good for you!

Just make sure there are others to eat the pancakes too. I made a small batch the other day and just had one. I didn't eat any syrup on it, but instead rolled up a sausage link in it and ate it that way. So good!

I have to go back to the doctor next week and climb up onto his scale again!

I'll see how that goes and then I may make a short stack of the real thing, with butter and syrup!

In for a penny in for a pound! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I've been glued to CNN since 5:30.
This is more exciting that the OJ chase... for those who remember.
But stuff is going down now, and that's why there are all day new channels.

I have a girlfriend in Atlanta. Her friends know that her and I are friends. They keep asking her if she has called me. What has she been telling you? Is she in the middle of it?

I am sure to the rest of the country and world think that there is some excitement in all of this. Trust me folks, it is not. Thousands of people lost a days pay today. Twenty city blocks were evacutated and searched. Medical appointments at hospitals were all cancelled. Folks were ordered at gunpoint to leave their home immediately. They didn't even have time to put their shoes on. If you didn't answer you door fast enough, they knocked it down. I counted the men going into one home. Twenty SWAT officers were rushing up the stairs. One couple grabbed their baby, a blanket and a shoulder bag, then ran out of their house. Fortunately today was a beautiful spring day. Temps were in the low 70's. :angel:

I've been glued to CNN since 5:30.
This is more exciting that the OJ chase... for those who remember.
But stuff is going down now, and that's why there are all day new channels.

Oh yes, I do remember. We can't drag our eyes away either.

So hope this is it.

I have a girlfriend in Atlanta. Her friends know that her and I are friends. They keep asking her if she has called me. What has she been telling you? Is she in the middle of it?

I am sure to the rest of the country and world think that there is some excitement in all of this. Trust me folks, it is not. Thousands of people lost a days pay today. Twenty city blocks were evacutated and searched. Medical appointments at hospitals were all cancelled. Folks were ordered at gunpoint to leave their home immediately. They didn't even have time to put their shoes on. If you didn't answer you door fast enough, they knocked it down. I counted the men going into one home. Twenty SWAT officers were rushing up the stairs. One couple grabbed their baby, a blanket and a shoulder bag, then ran out of their house. Fortunately today was a beautiful spring day. Temps were in the low 70's. :angel:

I have not been in touch with anyone from Atlanta.
And I would certainly not call what Boston is (was) experiencing "excitement". News is news in my opinion.
I'm pretty sure a lot of people were interested in what was going on though, enough to start a separate thread on a cooking forum... :angel:

If the price of catcing the guy, which they did, is having LEO's search your house, I'm in. I'm not saying I would enjoy it, but it's better than the alternative.

I'm very glad the place was locked down enough to catch the guy. For a while there I was afraid he had slipped through.

It's a relief this is apparently over. Residents of the area have now gathered in the streets cheering the police as they drive by. It's like an impromptu street party.

It's a relief this is apparently over. Residents of the area have now gathered in the streets cheering the police as they drive by. It's like an impromptu street party.

I think all of America is cheering right along with them.
There's been two recent times I can think of where the authorities were baffled for weeks and never did get to question the person they were after. This was some good work. :)

Thinking that now they will try to legislate Pressure Cookers...

I've had that same thought. Law abiding citizens will now be criminals for buying and selling pressure cookers. Watch out....maybe background checks before purchasing them will do the trick.

Last edited:
I make just a cup of batter for myself. And like you I eat only one. I am not a big fan of syrup. So I put butter and a small sprinke of sugar on it. One is all I can handle.

I use the Restaurant Style Krusteze Buttermilk pancake mix. Sometimes you have to be sensible about cooking from scratch when you are cooking from just one. :angel:

I have that cooking for one problem too. I buy pancakes already made and frozen. They're smallish and toast up easily, no thawing required. A couple or three brown & serve sausages in the microwave and breakfast is ready in a jiffy.

I'm not a big fan of syrup either, I just butter the pancakes. and use a very small amount of maple syrup on the sausages.

Last edited:
As a by-product, it would seem that we Americans now have (if we didn't already have starting back at 9/11) had a taste of what people in Syria, Libya, Afghanistan, Iraq, Israel, Palestine, not-that-long-ago Northern Ireland, Pakistan -- soooo many people ---- deal with every day in just trying to live.

I was wishing the other day that the nuclear genie could get stuffed back into the bottle; wish that, too, about gun powder/bomb-making parts/TNT. Sorry, .40, Pac, and others. Not gonna happen anyway, so let me dream on.

Back to the cave, everyone! Before those arrows can get us! Here comes Oop with his club.

It didn't take long to realize I had overlooked so many other places. These just didn't come to mind immediately...England, France, Spain, Indonesia, Japan, India...not a complete list by any means. Where in the world could one go to escape violence and the fear of attack? Maybe to Tom Hanks' island with a basketball for a friend.

It didn't take long to realize I had overlooked so many other places. These just didn't come to mind immediately...England, France, Spain, Indonesia, Japan, India...not a complete list by any means. Where in the world could one go to escape violence and the fear of attack? Maybe to Tom Hanks' island with a basketball for a friend.
My first thought was "Scandinavia", then I remembered the car bombing and shootings in Norway in 2011.

Back
Top Bottom