What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
burning is a big activity around here:furious:....helped a neighbor burn tumbleweeds this morning, this is the fourth burning I have participated in, at some point I will remember the marshmallows:yum:
Is that last year's tumbleweeds? I remember burning tumble weeds. Those things give off a lot of sparks.

Is that last year's tumbleweeds? I remember burning tumble weeds. Those things give off a lot of sparks.

Yes, last years tumbleweeds, and older. These don't give off any sparks, but they do burn hot and fast. It is very difficult to keep a fire going they burn so fast. You don't get a moments rest, you have to constantly be feeding the fire. I had to relight my fire three times today, mainly because I was trying the move the fire along the ditch and kept snuffing it out.

Always was a pyromaniac. Used to burn the family trash in the back alley and somehow always forgot to remove the pressurized cans of tooth paste; that would result in an explosion every time:angel:

A couple of my neighbor's certainly have some pyro in them.
Here's one pic I have handy. This lady makes ne nervous, so I always snap a pic when I see a fire like this. I find it amazing she hasn't caught the whole area on fire.

Attachments

• crazy jane and fire.jpg
    crazy jane and fire.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 154
holy crap! is that lady's fire at the very edge of that copse of trees, as it looks to be? what is she burning there? i hope that is not your property line there, pac. good that you're taking pics, it might be actionable....

holy crap! is that lady's fire at the very edge of that copse of trees, as it looks to be? what is she burning there? i hope that is not your property line there, pac. good that you're taking pics, it might be actionable....

She's probably 8' from the nearest tree, but there's brush, leaves and overhanging branches that I can't believe haven't tindered yet.

Here's one pic I have handy. This lady makes ne nervous, so I always snap a pic when I see a fire like this. I find it amazing she hasn't caught the whole area on fire.

:ohmy: OMG Now that is just plain crazy to be that close to those trees .. she needs to be ticketed or something because she obviously doesn't have common sense !

Not many people have common sense around me. It must be the water :LOL:
The guy across the street had such a big fire going a few years ago that it took out four rows of grapes from the heat :LOL: He was burning a bunch of furniture a couple days ago. And this weekend is free large garbage drop off at the township building, which is like half a mile away... Which reminds me, I have a lawn mower and a TV to get rid of.
And the cop next door doesn't use a backstop when he shoots, so if I'm out back I hear the bullets ricocheting into the trees :ohmy:

Just waking up for the day. High hopes of being more motivated today.

Take it easy and go slow.

I just got back from Winthrop. I participated in the Computer Presentation for the patients. When they were showing YouTube and what you could find on it, they were playing some C&W music. I started to square dance with one of the presenters. I should have known better. My heart started racing and my BP dropped. Nest time I will do a waltz. :angel:

Take it easy and go slow.

I just got back from Winthrop. I participated in the Computer Presentation for the patients. When they were showing YouTube and what you could find on it, they were playing some C&W music. I started to square dance with one of the presenters. I should have known better. My heart started racing and my BP dropped. Nest time I will do a waltz. :angel:
You take it easy Addie! I'll bet it felt pretty good to get out there & kick up your heels anyway, just shows how much fun you are!:angel:;)

I've been going thru numerous recipies on-line for different vegetarian options, different vinaigerette's, summer salad & sandwich options. Hope to give things a new look when I get back to work, for specials, over lunch. It's giving me a new interest in food & menu planning again.:yum:

You take it easy Addie! I'll bet it felt pretty good to get out there & kick up your heels anyway, just shows how much fun you are!:angel:;)

I've been going thru numerous recipies on-line for different vegetarian options, different vinaigerette's, summer salad & sandwich options. Hope to give things a new look when I get back to work, for specials, over lunch. It's giving me a new interest in food & menu planning again.:yum:

Sounds like you are doing okay. I bet your customers will appreciate your efforts along with DH. How is the weight doing? Are you sort of sticking to the diet? Ever mindful of what you are eating and how much? :angel:

Waiting for the pork shoulder to finish. Less than and hour and a half to go. It smells sooooo good! My tummy is growling.

Waiting for the pork shoulder to finish. Less than and hour and a half to go. It smells sooooo good! My tummy is growling.

Whoa!:chef:
Have one in the freezer that I don't know what to do with. Pork isn't my strong point.
Do you have a recipe around here that I could look up?
Hope so, as I do hate to be teased. :pig::ohmy::LOL:

Sure, Munky. It couldn't be simpler.

Set the defrosted, room temperature roast fat side up, in a (covered) pot. It doesn't need to be on a rack, and you can use a roasting pan covered with foil.

Pour a beer over it, cover and cook at 350° for 45 minutes a pound.

Don't open the oven or lid/cover while cooking.

When the time's up, check the internal temperature. It should be over 180°. Remove the roast to cool and add a cup of water to the drippings to deglaze the pan/pot.

The drippings are incredibly delicious and the meat is super tender. The gravy you make with the drippings are to die for.

Last edited:
Sure, Munky. It couldn't be simpler.

Set the defrosted, room temperature roast fat side up, in a (covered) pot. It doesn't need to be on a rack, and you can use a roasting pan covered with foil.

Pour a beer over it, cover and cook at 350° for 45 minutes a pound.

Don't open the oven or lid/cover while cooking.

When the time's up, check the internal temperature. It should be over 180°. Remove the roast to cool and add a cup of water to the drippings to deglaze the pan/pot.

The drippings are incredibly delicious and the meat is super tender. The gravy you make with the drippings are to die for.

LOL!!! It sounds tempting. VERY tempting...

Is this a kid friendly recipe when it's done?
I don't drink..The neighbors might talk if I walk across the street bumming a beer off my neighbor. He might think I'm crazy.. Late for the bus on that one. Can you imagine that? Oh, the scandal! 20 years and we never knew.:ROFLMAO:

What goes with it..Coleslaw comes to mind. It has to be Andy's or I won't touch it.

Thankies.

I just realized, Munky, that you might have wanted to know what to do with the cooked meat:

What I do is slice off the "face" (the part not covered in skin/fat), and make some gravy with the drippings. I then cook the slices in the gravy for a nice main dish.

The rest, I separate the meat into hunks for the freezer which I use up in various dishes such as shredded pork BBQ, cut into small dice for fried rice (marinated in pineapple, ginger and soy), stew, etc.

If you don't care to use beer, water works fine. I don't add salt, but often use thyme. It makes a great gravy when braised this way.

I don't braise in apple juice any more because it ruins the drippings for gravy IMO.

Last edited:
Glenn's in the shower and I'm getting ready to get gussied up to attend the annual area theatre awards (their answer to the Oscars) tonight. There's always a nice catered reception prior to the actual event. The reception is held on the huge sheltered deck adjacent to the theatre. Linen-draped tables, fresh flowers, etc. It's always a fine time. My brother has been nominated in three categories and is coming up from Nashville to, I hope, receive his awards. Whatever the case, we'll have a lovely evening. Never hurts to get "cultured up" every once in a while.:rolleyes:

Glenn's in the shower and I'm getting ready to get gussied up to attend the annual area theatre awards (their answer to the Oscars) tonight. There's always a nice catered reception prior to the actual event. The reception is held on the huge sheltered deck adjacent to the theatre. Linen-draped tables, fresh flowers, etc. It's always a fine time. My brother has been nominated in three categories and is coming up from Nashville to, I hope, receive his awards. Whatever the case, we'll have a lovely evening. Never hurts to get "cultured up" every once in a while.:rolleyes:

That sounds nice Katie, have a great time :)

Good luck to your brother :)

I agree with what everyone has said...and I think she may have issues for sure :LOL:

It is a lovely Saturday morning here, the weather is lovely, so we will head out for a walk soon!

Mum is back from a weeks holiday in Mildura, so we are going over to her place later to see her, I have missed her!

Back
Top Bottom