What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm making a list of all our autopay accounts. I got a text from our credit card company this morning asking if we'd made a $200 purchase today. We had not. I called the CC company, and found out the purchase had been attempted, but denied due to an expired CC. Turns out the attempted purchase was made from France! We've never been to France. And I always shred our outdated CCs, so am not sure how they got an outdated one.

I thanked the customer service person profusely. Good catch! They're UPSing us new cards tomorrow, and are notifying the credit bureaus. It will be a PITA to deal with the aftermath, but I'm glad the CC company is so vigilant!

Capital One?
Just curious. I have a few CC's and Capital One is the only one I ever have a problem with. I've been told their security on their end is always getting breached.
I haven't pulled their card out in over a year and guess what? No more overseas charges :glare:

Yikes! Capitol One is the CC we both use. We use it for everything so we can build points for Aruba airfare, etc. Never had a problem with fraudulent charges.

Yikes! Capitol One is the CC we both use. We use it for everything so we can build points for Aruba airfare, etc. Never had a problem with fraudulent charges.

I had three fraudulent purchases in about 1-1/2 years with them. One was two days after activating my new card. My IT guy said they had a huge breach. We were concerned I might have a key logger virus.
They were always quick at intercepting charges and notifying me anyways.

Capital One?
Just curious. I have a few CC's and Capital One is the only one I ever have a problem with. I've been told their security on their end is always getting breached.
I haven't pulled their card out in over a year and guess what? No more overseas charges :glare:

Chase Freedom. We like them as we get up to 5% cash back for various stuff.

I say kudos to them for catching the fraudulent charge! The fraudsters can do all sorts of stuff, like making fake CCs from previous charges. I'm very careful to shred old CCs and statements, but who knows, any waiter can copy the number and fashion a fake CC. There are also "card readers" that can get your CC info right from your wallet and scan them.

Andy, we use the Charles Schwab Visa when we travel out of the country. Love it. No ATM fees, and they reimburse you whatever fees the business or bank would normally charge for using a CC.

Last edited:
We've used Discover since 1987 and have (knock on wood) never had any problem. There I go, probably jinxing myself. :ermm: They have been spot-on identifying any possible fraudulent use. When we moved here (MA) our daughter was still back in OH, our son was at school in AZ. Each had their own card on our account for "emergencies". (Funny how that word had a competely different meaning to a college freshman boy :glare: ) The first time a charge was made in two different states Discover called us. They made sure there was a legit reason. We told them about the four cardholders and three states and everything was fine. And then a little while later I went on a "Girls' Week" with my SIL and used the card in VA...:LOL: Himself got a phone call! Thank goodness he didn't have them put a stop on my card! :ohmy:

Shrek had his debit card hit, we found it because he was yelling at me for not recording a charge...but it wasn't my card that was used:LOL: I told him to look at where it was used and it was to an online software dealer. The bank handled it quickly and the money was returned to our account.

Shrek had his debit card hit, we found it because he was yelling at me for not recording a charge...but it wasn't my card that was used:LOL: I told him to look at where it was used and it was to an online software dealer. The bank handled it quickly and the money was returned to our account.

Twice we have had online software hits on the credit cards. Once on mine and once on Hubby's. both times the cc company caught it and issued new cards right away. It is the full time job of hackers to try to use all of our credit cards. Why they think they are entitled to our money is beyond me. :glare:

Twice we have had online software hits on the credit cards. Once on mine and once on Hubby's. both times the cc company caught it and issued new cards right away. It is the full time job of hackers to try to use all of our credit cards. Why they think they are entitled to our money is beyond me. :glare:

I'm trying to figure out why they would use a debit card...they just got lucky there was money in the account as I hadn't paid the rent yet. LOL and they got Mr. Paranoid's "I won't use my card online" number.:ROFLMAO:

I'm sitting here waiting for my baseball game to resume. Cleveland has had heavy rain all night long. The game was due to start at 7:05PM - first pitch ended up at 9:02PM. They got the first inning in and then two outs made in the top of the 2nd. Pulled the tarp - it stopped raining. Pitched to one more batter - started to rain. Since then I've watched the news, cleaned up from dinner, and played online, all the while listening to the "rain delay" show. Unbelievably, they are about to resume! Even the CA games will be over before this game gets to the 7th inning stretch! :LOL:

This afternoon we snuggled under the quilt on the twin recliner and watched a movie, so nice to do in Winter :)

I'm trying to figure out why they would use a debit card...they just got lucky there was money in the account as I hadn't paid the rent yet. LOL and they got Mr. Paranoid's "I won't use my card online" number.:ROFLMAO:

Not sure, but it seems to me that they just have card numbers but not other information about them, like whether it's a debit or credit card.

Rodents chewed up my irreplaceable 6 gasoline gas can and the gas tank on my 33" walk behind mower. Ergo I just ordered $98's worth of Contrac and $127's worth of items to replace the walk behinds fuel tank.

I'm outside, inhaling Buffalo gnats. They're gnatsty. It's a beautiful day, and I'm trying to get the gardens and flower beds, unruly shrubs and weeds in order. And I cleaned a huge ant population out of the mailbox, luckily I got 'em out before the mail was delivered.

Last edited:
... And I cleaned a huge ant population out of the mailbox, luckily I got 'em out before the mail was delivered.

Depends on whether you like your mail carrier or not. ;)

I've been listening to today's baseball game. The announcer referred to it as the second game of the double-header even though there was only one game scheduled for today. Monsoons in Cleveland delayed Friday's game 3 times for a total of nearly 5 hours and the game didn't end until almost 3:00 AM! Yes, I was there till the bitter end...*yawn* Today's game is already "official" and there hasn't been a delay yet, but one is sure to come.

I'm now getting off of DC (fun) and heading up to the spare room to clean (not fun). Maybe I'll reward myself with a hot fudge sundae as a reward. :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom