What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Broke ground for my new house today:w00t2:
If you get a chance it would be nice if you could tell us more about some of the planned features of your new home; E.G.:
Cellar / basement, high cellar (extending 3-5' above ground)?
Mud room?
Pantry?
Eat-in kitchen?
Evaporative cooling?
Fireplace?
Water supply source(s) and water treatment?
Easy access bath?
Roofing, siding, and glazing materials?
Gas and electric?
Plumbing materials (pex, copper, PVC), washerless faucets?
Porch / patio / veranda materials?
Landscaping?
Outbuildings?
Good luck

Last edited:
Waiting to go to the airport to pick up mom. She was supposed to be here at 11:30 but in my mom's typical style she missed her flight by losing track of time, lol. She'll be here at 3 instead.

It wouldn't be a typical visit with her without some snag :LOL:

Waiting to go to the airport to pick up mom. She was supposed to be here at 11:30 but in my mom's typical style she missed her flight by losing track of time, lol. She'll be here at 3 instead.

It wouldn't be a typical visit with her without some snag :LOL:

Nice of Mom to get the snag out of the way at the very beginning of the trip so you can enjoy your visit. Cherish the moments you have with your mom always. Never take them for granted, and remember them always. Have fun!

I just got back from my buddy's house and dropping off five parts of my pistol I've been working on. I polished it last night and he blended "blended" it in on his equipment. Tomorrow morning the parts are getting blued. Then it's put everything back together and hope it still fits.

I just got back from my buddy's house and dropping off five parts of my pistol I've been working on. I polished it last night and he blended "blended" it in on his equipment. Tomorrow morning the parts are getting blued. Then it's put everything back together and hope it still fits.

What is blending?

What is blending?

It's like buffing. There's a special blending wheel on a bench grinder that you use with oil. Kind of like buffing wheels use compound.

I had the pistol polished using various grits of sandpaper to *almost* look like chrome. All the nicks and scratches had been removed (remember, this came right off a CNC machine. Everything was rough). Blending made all the areas look similar where a flat area met a curved area. And it's a time saver as you don't need to polish as much and keep changing grits of sandpaper. I could stop at 600 grit because we put this blended finish on it.
I honestly can't say how it will affect the bluing though, as he has never put a blended finish on a gun he has blued. I'm hoping it gives it a slight satin look.
What color the gun comes out is determined by the composition of the metal. Some look blueish and some black.

I keep hoping he calls and says let's do it tonight instead. I'm anxious.
Bluing only takes about twenty minutes once the tank full of chemicals is heated up.

Thanks Chopper.
It's a 1911 Combat Commander. A Combat Commander was the first pistol I ever bought myself, then stupidly sold. This is my replacement kind of.
Here it is the end of last week after getting everything together (except the rear sight). It fired three flawless magazines the first time out :)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 167
:wacko::wacko: I just saw for the umpteenth time the ad from AARP for their sponsored medical insurance. The way it is worded is misleading. They make it sound like that unless you get their insurance you can't choose your own doctor or go to any hospital you want to. Soooo wrong. It is Medicare that tells you by law, that those are your rights. It has nothing to do with whether you belong to their organization or not. Even if you leave the country.

It is like the glucometers for the diabetic. Medicare pays 80% of the cost of the strips and glucometer. If you buy your supplies through a medical supply company, you still have to pay that last 20%. Unless you have a secondary insurance such as Medicaid or a private company.

For someone who is just coming into the Medicare system, these advertisements are misleading and ticks me off big time. They also drive me crazy. :angel:

:wacko::wacko: I just saw for the umpteenth time the ad from AARP for their sponsored medical insurance. The way it is worded is misleading. They make it sound like that unless you get their insurance you can't choose your own doctor or go to any hospital you want to. Soooo wrong. It is Medicare that tells you by law, that those are your rights. It has nothing to do with whether you belong to their organization or not. Even if you leave the country.

It is like the glucometers for the diabetic. Medicare pays 80% of the cost of the strips and glucometer. If you buy your supplies through a medical supply company, you still have to pay that last 20%. Unless you have a secondary insurance such as Medicaid or a private company.

For someone who is just coming into the Medicare system, these advertisements are misleading and ticks me off big time. They also drive me crazy. :angel:

Advertising is one of the things we are forced to put up with when a profession transforms itself into a commodity. I don't think it will get any better as it transitions from a commodity to a public utility.

Thieves, thieves, tramps and thieves! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Sounds like you need to "just say no" to AARP...I did! :wacko:

Thanks Chopper.
It's a 1911 Combat Commander. A Combat Commander was the first pistol I ever bought myself, then stupidly sold. This is my replacement kind of.
Here it is the end of last week after getting everything together (except the rear sight). It fired three flawless magazines the first time out :)

I love it! You will have to post a picture when you get it back.

Thanks Chopper.
Is that a boo boo on the lower left front (9 o'clock) of the slide [that holds the recoil spring plunger]?
Are there any concerns about the refinishing degrading the closeness of the slide to frame fit? Many, many moons ago; I bought a new 45ACP Colt Gold Cup for $125 at Emroe sporting goods. I put in a stiffer recoil spring and it was a tack driver with many lots of GI hardball ammo.
Wish I had a 4" Python instead of my clunky 6" Model 29. The high price of lead makes 157gr.38cal. reloading more affordable than the 230-240gr .44-.45 cals.

Last edited:
Is that a boo boo on the lower left front (9 o'clock) of the slide [that holds the recoil spring plunger]?
Are there any concerns about the refinishing degrading the closeness of the slide to frame fit? Many, many moons ago; I bought a new 45ACP Colt Gold Cup for $125 at Emroe sporting goods. I put in a stiffer recoil spring and it was a tack driver with many lots of GI hardball ammo.
Wish I had a 4" Python instead of my clunky 6" Model 29. The high price of lead makes 157gr.38cal. reloading more affordable than the 230-240gr .44-.45 cals.

Since any Python these days goes for $2000 plus, I'll bet you wish you still had it, too. Been there, done that. What beautify finished revolvers they are. Smooth as silk. $350 was too much for me to spend back then :wacko: duh.

That mark looks like some kind of scuff. That was close to the area I was practicing polishing as I was taking a break from building it last week, so it's tough to say how it got there. It came glass beaded, so any mark tended to stand out.

Back
Top Bottom