What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks again, beth, for bringing us a beautifully produced video of this vibrant, colorful marketplace and open air festival held in your town. it captures glimpses of the magnificent mountains which surround you, and the mumford & son concert with renown flutist, robert mirabel . what a fine musical fusion of the english and indian together. i found a vid on youtube of mirabel performing 'the dance'. the movements of the dance seem to defy gravity at times. mirabel is an awesome talent. and, so long as m&s are touring, they will no doubt appear for return engagements to taos, with mirabel in residence there....:)

I'm sitting on the deck watching the grill with my pork loin inside. The wind wants to blow out the flame! It sure does smell good. At least it is a warm wind...just last month we were still having snow. 96 degrees doesn't even feel very hot in this dry heat and this wind. Thee are some fires in the area, and it is so hazy that I can't see the mountains. I feel for the firefighters. I wish for the wind to calm for them.

Yup, so far it's been a 13 year vacation! :LOL: Actually, I've seen the signs. Problem is, people in the towns either side of us have this "I can do it!!!" attitude when they cross, shooting you evil looks while strolling slowly and checking their cellphones. So I got MA's driver's handbook you can have to check all the laws and regulations. HaHa you jaywalkers, the law states you have to be IN a crosswalk. The law states that if you are crossing at a light you must cross WITH the green and cannot impede the flow of traffic when the light is in their favor. By law I could smack that 20-something, droopy-panted, backwards-wearing hat punk with the smug look when he is smack dab between two crosswalks that are a mere 40 feet apart! Then I realize this state has way more lawyers in it needs and I don't want to generate a case - 'cuz you know one of them is gonna crawl out of the woodwork. :ermm:

* If they were "natives" I would think they should have some idea of how to speak the language...;)

I grew up in California, where the pedestrian has ABSOLUTE right of way. I once saw a kid jaywalk and a car that didn't stop for him. There was a cop watching. He gave them both tickets. One was for failing to stop for a pedestrian and one was formula jaywalking. :LOL:

I am heading over to see mum today, taking her over some lemons and oranges from our trees and having a natter as she is heading off again in a couple of days on a houseboat for a week with friends, sounds great!

I am then heading up to the coffee shop to meet a friend for coffee and cake, another natter :LOL:

I just got home a little whileag. Heated up some letover chili for supper, siting in my recliner with my feet up.

I got a phone call from The Pirate. He is living with a room mate and wants out. He is drunk around the clock. So he applied on line for a job for maintenance today in the same town where his oldest son lives. He got a call back ten minutes after he posted it. The man in Colorado Hdqt. interviewed him right over the phone. It is a very large corporation and liked what my son had to say. He told him his weaknesses as well as his strength. So the man liked what he heard and asked when he could go up to the North Shore for a second interview. The man at the site called him, like what he heard and gave my son the job right over the phone. He got hired without anyone even seeing him. Tomorrow he goes for his drug test. They want him to start next week. He will have too find a studio apt. in the town where the job is. So it looks like my house will get raided once again. Specially the kitchen.

Second piece of good news. For months The Pirate has been trying to save to buy himself a much needed car. But it seems that every time he gets the money together, one of his kids needs something. The last emergency was his youngest son had an infected and impacted wisdom molar. No dental insurance. Where else do you go to but good ole Dad. But today, and just in time for his new job, he was able to buy a crap box of a car. But he is good with cars and can fix it up himself. He was able to also get the insurance for it. Tomorrow he will register it and it will be on the road and he will be all set. One more worry from my life.

Next. I received my new measuring cups and spoons today. The cups are heavy stainless steel and one piece. The handle are short and they don't tip over even if there is just a little ingredients left in the bottom. There is also a little lip on the opposite end from the handle so that they nest evenly. These have both American and Canadian measurements marked. 1 CUP 240ml, 3/4 CUP 180 ml, 2/3 CUP 160 ml, 1/2 CUP 120 ml, 1/3 CUP 80 ml, 1/4 CUP 60 ml.

The spoons are double ended and magnetized. One end is elongated and will fit into spice containers and the other is a regular spoon. They sit flat on the counter so you can pour liquids without having to hold it. Good point if your hands are messy. They nest inside one another and are held together with the magnet in each one. The measurements are clearly marked and engraved on each spoon. They have both American and Canadian measurements marked. The spoons are 1 Tbsp 1.5 mL, 1/2 Tbsp 7.5 mL, 1 tsp 5mL, 1/2 tsp 2.5 mL, 1/4 tsp 1.25mL.

The cups and spoons are bit pricey. But I think they are worth every cent. I am so pleased with them. I finally have a set of cups and spoons I am happy with. I hate plastic ones. My plastic cups have only five cups. This set has six. And there are five spoons. Those will go to The Pirate for his kitchen so he can cook.

I also ordered a larger springform pan today for my g'son's cheesecake. I only have a seven inch one. And with his appetite, I know he will clean out the bigger one.

I didn't get to the mini pies today. I do have the apples cooked, just didn't make it to the pie maker yet. Too many interruptions. Tomorrow. :angel:

...I am looking for recent youtubes of last weeks Mumford and Sons concert here....Many poor quality videos have shown up, but here is link to a really decent sound and visual video....

Don't know if you heard the news, but one of our local TV stations said the bassist from M&S had surgery for a blood clot on his brain! He's OK, resting. They have to cancel three upcoming concerts. Good thing he went to the doc when he wasn't feeling quite right instead of toughing it out.

I grew up in California, where the pedestrian has ABSOLUTE right of way. I once saw a kid jaywalk and a car that didn't stop for him. There was a cop watching. He gave them both tickets. One was for failing to stop for a pedestrian and one was formula jaywalking. :LOL:

Poking a bear here, ya know? Unfortunately, some pedestrians around here (like in the towns either side of ours) believe they have absolute right of way, but that is wrong. Now not only have I checked the state highway manual to be sure they have to cross in a walkway but I also found a MA lawyer's website that says the same:

Massachusetts law favors the rights of pedestrians over vehicles of any type. Usually pedestrians have the right of way, but the right of way is not absolute.

Lawyer goes on to tell the reader they have to be in a crosswalk or at an intersection with a light in their favor. If the lawyer is warning them they aren't going to be able to get any money you KNOW jaywalkers around here are in the wrong! :LOL:

Don't know if you heard the news, but one of our local TV stations said the bassist from M&S had surgery for a blood clot on his brain! He's OK, resting. They have to cancel three upcoming concerts. Good thing he went to the doc when he wasn't feeling quite right instead of toughing it out.

So he wasn't feeling quite right in the head huh? I know a few folks like that. :angel:

I just finished making lunch.

Attachments

• bacon.jpg
    bacon.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 172
:wacko: Right now I am cursing myself and calling me every name but my own. I was going into the bathroom and took the corner too quickly. Have a very large tear in my fragile skin. I am a walking hazard. :angel:

Dreading giving the Boss the bad news.
The hot water heater went again. He's going to have to shell out money for a new one.

Shoot I was going to hit him up for a new dishwasher. :(

:wacko: Right now I am cursing myself and calling me every name but my own. I was going into the bathroom and took the corner too quickly. Have a very large tear in my fragile skin. I am a walking hazard. :angel:

You and me both. How bad is it?

I'm thinking seriously about making my own protective arm and legs pads.
Not the kind that ball players wear. A little lighter with Velcro straps. Just cushy enough to take a bump without bruising myself over nothing.

You and me both. How bad is it?

I'm thinking seriously about making my own protective arm and legs pads.
Not the kind that ball players wear. A little lighter with Velcro straps. Just cushy enough to take a bump without bruising myself over nothing.

I just checked and changed the dressing. I think I should have gone to the health clinic ER for steri strips. But it is past the golden hour. But I was able to get the skin back in place so it will heal to itself. You can't put sutures in me. My skin is so fragile that you can see right through the piece I tore off.

The wound is ugly looking. A big mark and blue black (childrenese) surrounding the wound. The piece of skin that I ripped off is at lest a half inch long and a quarter inch wide. I really did it up good this time. I did put some Bacitracin on it. I have to keep it covered. When I go to the bathroom I wipe myself with my left hand. And the wound is just above my wrist on my left hand. I can't take the chance of having that wound exposed to that area when I wipe myself. I apologize for the indelicacies of the description. :angel:

Last edited:
I thought I'd start a thread about nothing (ala Seinfeld ;)).
I know there are times I do something and have no one to share it with, no matter how mundane. And I don't do the FB thing, all though I certainly get spammed enough from them. Probably from someone's email list that I'm on :rolleyes:
So if you join in fine, if you read along fine, if you put this thread on your ignore list, well that's fine, too :LOL:

So tonight I'll be "doing" this.

View attachment 11380

I found this sucker under the eave of my chicken coop when I went to check on their water. I'm lucky I didn't bump the coop with the lawn mower earlier today :ohmy: It's quite active, but I'm hoping to deactivate it after it gets dark :mrgreen:
Looks a bit like a wasps nest - is it?

Looks a bit like a wasps nest - is it?

Beats me. I couldn't tell you the difference between a wasp and a hornet. They were black and yellow striped like yellow jackets or ground bees.

You know it's not nice to tease the animals don't you ????

Boy that looks great .. how was it ??

Tasty :yum:
It made for some nice sandwiches with lettuce and mayo on soft white bread.

Back
Top Bottom