What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All this talk of pulled pork is making my mouth water! It's not something you see in my neck of the woods but every time I see it on TV I want some!

Is it a regional thing in the US or can you get it everywhere? I didn't notice anywhere selling it in AZ and the only other part of the US I have been to was New York City.

All this talk of pulled pork is making my mouth water! It's not something you see in my neck of the woods but every time I see it on TV I want some!

Is it a regional thing in the US or can you get it everywhere? I didn't notice anywhere selling it in AZ and the only other part of the US I have been to was New York City.

I think it's everywhere, any US region will have its own recipe/blend. For example, Hawaii has Kalua pork, cooked in a pit. It's very popular in Mexico too. Most do it in more traditional ways, the slow cooker just makes it very easy, and you get to ignore it till it's done.

I would think AZ has plenty of Mexican food, probably there would be your pulled pork. Carnitas, Cochinita Pibil, etc.

Last edited:
I think it's everywhere, any US region will have its own recipe/blend. For example, Hawaii has Kalua pork, cooked in a pit. It's very popular in Mexico too. Most do it in more traditional ways, the slow cooker just makes it very easy, and you get to ignore it till it's done.

I bet the pit version is really nice!

I have a slow cooker so I could make it myself but the problem is the quantity. Could I cook a piece of pork, shred it and freeze what I couldn't use straight away or would that ruin it?

I bet the pit version is really nice!

I have a slow cooker so I could make it myself but the problem is the quantity. Could I cook a piece of pork, shred it and freeze what I couldn't use straight away or would that ruin it?

Sure. My little roast is less than 2 pounds, and I added some extra pieces. I usually get a whole pork loin, hack it to pieces, and freeze it in chops and chunks. There's just 2 of us. The pulled pork freezes well too. Any cut will do, though many prefer pork shoulder and other fattier cuts.

Last edited:
Sure. My little roast is less than 2 pounds, and I added some extra pieces. I usually get a whole pork loin, hack it to pieces, and freeze it in chops and chunks. There's just 2 of us. The pulled pork freezes well too. Any cut will do, though many prefer pork shoulder and other fattier cuts.

Well I do believe I will give it a go then! Though I really don't think I'll be using orange crush....

I have seen several recipes that use cola so I would guess you would recommend it too?

Well I do believe I will give it a go then! Though I really don't think I'll be using orange crush....

I have seen several recipes that use cola so I would guess you would recommend it too?

Yes, just don't use diet. Root beer and Dr. Pepper are also popular. And homemade or good store-bought BBQ sauce. Check around here, lots of good recipes!

Last edited:
Yes, just don't use diet. Root beer and Dr. Pepper are also popular. And homemade or good store-bought BBQ sauce. Check around here, lots of good recipes!

I only ever have the normal Coca Cola so that's no problem.

Now, as for BBQ sauce.... I am not a fan of the stuff as I find it far too sweet and sickly (or too hot). But I know you need a sauce for pulled pork, and I recently got something called "Jack Daniels Tennessee Style Barbecue Sauce" which is actually rather nice.

Go on. Are you appalled and disgusted?

Now, as for BBQ sauce.... I am not a fan of the stuff as I find it far too sweet and sickly (or too hot). But I know you need a sauce for pulled pork, and I recently got something called "Jack Daniels Tennessee Style Barbecue Sauce" which is actually rather nice.

Sounds good to me! A bit of vinegar unsweetens things too.

OK by me. I use bottled BBQ sauce because I really like it. If you don't like sweet sauce (I don't either) there are alternatives. I like Bullseye Original. Weber Hickory smoke is a close second.

I didn't used to think I liked BBQ sauce, because I had only tried the sweet one. There are loads of styles of BBQ sauce and they don't need to be sweet. They can be anywhere from mild to fiery hot. They are easy to make.

If you can get pork shoulder (I prefer bone-in for extra flavour), I think that would be your best bet for pulled pork. Tougher, fattier meats, that have grisly bits work well when slow cooked. The grisly bits melt and make it easier to pull apart the meat when it's done and add an unctuous mouth feel to the sauce.

OK by me. I use bottled BBQ sauce because I really like it. If you don't like sweet sauce (I don't either) there are alternatives. I like Bullseye Original. Weber Hickory smoke is a close second.

I honestly thought I was going to be in a minority of one for not liking sweet BBQ sauce, so it's nice to know I'm not alone!

Very few BBQ sauces are available in my local supermarkets - and certainly not those you have quoted Andy. I'd have to get them online and that puts the costs up quite considerably. But there are more appearing on the shelves lately, so I will definitely keep my eye out for those two. :)

I didn't used to think I liked BBQ sauce, because I had only tried the sweet one. There are loads of styles of BBQ sauce and they don't need to be sweet. They can be anywhere from mild to fiery hot. They are easy to make.

If you can get pork shoulder (I prefer bone-in for extra flavour), I think that would be your best bet for pulled pork. Tougher, fattier meats, that have grisly bits work well when slow cooked. The grisly bits melt and make it easier to pull apart the meat when it's done and add an unctuous mouth feel to the sauce.

I can definitely get bone-in shoulder Taxlady - I want maximum flavour for my lovely pulled pork! (Well hopefully, my lovely pulled pork!) ;) I will give this a go next weekend and report back on the results!

I honestly thought I was going to be in a minority of one for not liking sweet BBQ sauce, so it's nice to know I'm not alone!

Very few BBQ sauces are available in my local supermarkets - and certainly not those you have quoted Andy. I'd have to get them online and that puts the costs up quite considerably. But there are more appearing on the shelves lately, so I will definitely keep my eye out for those two. :)

There's no reason you can't make your own. The recipes are straight forward and you get to change them at will to get the flavor you want.

Well then I have a plan! Thanks Dawgluver!

Hope you enjoy!

One of our members, Gravy Queen, is also from UK, and awhile back made pulled pork, having never had it before either. She fell in love with it too! Good luck! There are so many good recipes!

Last edited:
Hope you enjoy!

One of our members, Gravy Queen, is also from UK, and awhile back made pulled pork, having never had it before either. She fell in love with it too! Good luck! There are so many good recipes!

We are very deprived of pulled pork in the UK it seems! Which is daft because we have some great pork meat available. I hope Gravy Queen visits soon - we can compare notes!

I love sweet sauce. And hot sauce and smoky sauce and vinegar based sauce... My favorite is sweet with a hot kicker. I guess it's similar to sweet and sour pork. I like a multi-flavored BBQ sauce.

I just finished prepping some cucumbers for this spicy chinese cucumber salad recipe | use real butter
I'll use some Korean fermented chili paste that I have.

From this, I am going to guess you just love sauce! :)

You know, having read all about your "makin bacon" exploits, I didn't have you pictured "prepping" cucumbers!

From this, I am going to guess you just love sauce! :)

You know, having read all about your "makin bacon" exploits, I didn't have you pictured "prepping" cucumbers!

Yes I do! :yum: I'm pretty open when it comes to BBQ sauces, though there are some real clunkers out there... nothing that can't be doctored up though. Sweet Baby Ray's has a Hickory and Vidalia Onion sauce that is heaven on ribs.

Oh, and I've got some bacon thawing for the stuffed shrooms, too. :mrgreen:
Man can't live by cucumbers alone ;)

Back
Top Bottom