What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Getting ready to head out for my weekly marketing task. I have to laugh because Tuesday at Kroger, senior citizens are allowed a discount. That means that I'll have to be especially observant when I park my car. Nearly every old codger in my age group has a Lincoln the same color as mine.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

All the more reason to put stickers or something else that identifies it from afar.

Getting ready to head out for my weekly marketing....I'll have to be especially observant when I park my car. Nearly every old codger in my age group has a Lincoln the same color as mine.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

It seems like most car models come in the same color, doesn't it Katie? My most recently retired vehicle was a silver van. Seemed like every where I looked in a parking lot I saw a silver van. Gave that to our daughter when I bought a white compact. Oh Boy! No more losing my vehicle with all those other silver vans in a lot. Guess what? All the cars where I park are now white compact cars!
th_gaahsmiley.gif

I'm procrastinating like CW. Don't know about her, but I'm a pro at it! I came to DC just to look for a recipe for mac and cheese (have a taste for it) and got sucked into looking around. Guess I better look for that recipe, huh?

I'm procrastinating like CW. Don't know about her, but I'm a pro at it! I came to DC just to look for a recipe for mac and cheese (have a taste for it) and got sucked into looking around. Guess I better look for that recipe, huh?

My mac & cheese recipe goes something like this :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 161
I just got off the phone from a distant relative out in California. She has been working on a family tree and history for about five years now. She found some more info on my side. I can now trace back to great, great and one more great for just one person. There are pictures of headstones, tribal pictures on my father's side, And all sorts of really neat information. On my mother's side she was able to trace back to cousins of John and Samuel Adams. Like three times removed.

Most of the letters that Abigail sent to John when he was away, are now translated from her handwriting and on line. So she went into them and read all about births and other events in the family. It was from those letters that she was able to go back so far. I was also able to add some info that she didn't know. Like my uncle had been killed in WWI. All she had was his name and birth date. There is a square named for him here in Eastie. I am going to take a picture so she can add it to his name. He was buried in France, so it will serve as his headstone.

Everyone should take a look at their family history. :angel:

I'm getting ready to go out and pick up a few things from the grocery store. I need some more eggs. Our dog, 13 years old, is getting really finicky about eating, but if we add a fried egg to her food she'll eat it. Her pain medicine is crushed up in it, so she has to eat it. Unfortunately, she prefers to raid the cats' bowls :ermm:

Addie, I have an aunt on both sides of my family who did a lot of family history research. I put it into Family Tree Maker and was able to share it when my cousin's daughter was assigned to do a project on her family history :) I'm a daughter of the Confederacy and a daughter of the Revolution on my mother's side. Both families have been traced back to 16th-century Ireland and my dad's great-grandparents to Germany in the 1880s.

My great-great-grandfather bought a farm in Michigan in the nineteen-teens so his son would not have to fight the Germans in WWI. Certain farmers were exempt from service, because they were needed to feed the army, and his parents didn't want him fighting his cousins who still lived there.

All the more reason to put stickers or something else that identifies it from afar.

There is a famous photo of the parking lot at the Pentagon. Every antenna has some sort of bauble on the top. And if you study the photo long enough, no two are alike in that sea of thousands of cars. Of course that photo was taken when all cars had non retracting antennas. :angel:

There is a famous photo of the parking lot at the Pentagon. Every antenna has some sort of bauble on the top. And if you study the photo long enough, no two are alike in that sea of thousands of cars. Of course that photo was taken when all cars had non retracting antennas. :angel:
That,s why the standard poodle cut puts a pompom on the end of the poodle's tail They used to be water retrievers. The dogs used to have different numbers and sizes of pompoms. You could tell them apart when they were in the water by the arrangement of pompoms.

I press the lock button on my remote if I forget what row I'm in. The horn toots.

Addie, I have an aunt on both sides of my family who did a lot of family history research. I put it into Family Tree Maker and was able to share it when my cousin's daughter was assigned to do a project on her family history :) I'm a daughter of the Confederacy and a daughter of the Revolution on my mother's side. Both families have been traced back to 16th-century Ireland and my dad's great-grandparents to Germany in the 1880s.

My great-great-grandfather bought a farm in Michigan in the nineteen-teens so his son would not have to fight the Germans in WWI. Certain farmers were exempt from service, because they were needed to feed the army, and his parents didn't want him fighting his cousins who still lived there.

Because my mother had polio as a child, she didn't leave the house too much. I used to sit with her playing cards and drinking tea. She would tell me all the stories about her family. As a result I was able to provide so much information as a starting point for research. I was very fortunate in that I received a verbal history of our family. And now my kids can add to that. I just didn't realize what a gift I was being given at the time. But I do cherish those stories. :angel:

I had 3/4 of a cantaloupe that I needed to do something with. I bought it at the farmer's market last weekend and it was unexpectedly bland. The stem end smelled nice and sweet but no flavor. So I made it into a minty granita. I've never made granita before. Hopefully this will come out well.

Just tried the granita. Yummy! It's a winner for sure! Sweet, but not too sweet, and refreshing. Good stuff.

Attachments

• 2013-08-13 17.56.16.jpg
    2013-08-13 17.56.16.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 163
Just tried the granita. Yummy! It's a winner for sure! Sweet, but not too sweet, and refreshing. Good stuff.

Very nice, GG! I've been meaning to make watermelon granita.

I'm nuking a bunch of corn on the cob, and prepping it to freeze.

Because my mother had polio as a child, she didn't leave the house too much. I used to sit with her playing cards and drinking tea. She would tell me all the stories about her family. As a result I was able to provide so much information as a starting point for research. I was very fortunate in that I received a verbal history of our family. And now my kids can add to that. I just didn't realize what a gift I was being given at the time. But I do cherish those stories. :angel:
My father has traced his side of the family back so far that the "tree" takes up about an 4 ft x 4 ft piece of paper (I don't know where he got the paper--newsprint maybe?). It goes well back to the 1500s. My mom's family tree goes back to the 1600s. But, none of them came to the "New World" until mid-1800s. My great-great grandfather fought in the Civil War and then was appointed by President McKinley to be the first US Consul general in Norway when Norway gained her independence from Sweden in 1905 (he was there from 1898 until 1912--he died there). My great grandfather was offered the position (he was McKinley's campaign manager), but preferred to see his FIL get the position. Wonder what that relationship was like...one of the family stories is that that great great grandfather and his brother traded names because the brother didn't want to fight in the Civil War. That always caused some confusion on the family tree...who would name two kids the same name??? We have some pretty neat stuff that was given to great great grandfather by the King of Norway. And, a very nice grandfather clock that is 350 years old. It is from the Lofloten Islands where the family owned the cod fish processing camp. One of the buildings is still there. Oh, and there is a castle in England that was once in the family.

Last edited:
I have been out at the supermarket very early this morning to get a few specials, soon I am heading over to mums for coffee :)

I'm getting ready to go out and pick up a few things from the grocery store. I need some more eggs. Our dog, 13 years old, is getting really finicky about eating, but if we add a fried egg to her food she'll eat it. Her pain medicine is crushed up in it, so she has to eat it. Unfortunately, she prefers to raid the cats' bowls :ermm:

You might look into buying her some smaller kibble, I'm sure that's what she likes about the cat food. Smaller and easier to chew. The eggs aren't hurting her, either.

Back
Top Bottom