What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy crap, PF! I hadn't heard about this on the news. What is the status now? Any better?

They are getting it contained. New fires in Idaho are popping up. It's my last day in the camp, I can't handle the smoke anymore. I'll be getting the dinner set up and catch a ride at 5pm back to town.

Shower first, sleep in my own bed...then make-up work at work for the weekend.

Today I got my results back from my MRI

So at this point, I definitely have arthritis of the kneecap and this IBS...I just have to keep an eye on things...I am not to use the exercise bike and when I walk I need to walk different tracks each time as walking the same block for example puts more pressure on the lateral band. I can take anti inflammatory tablets and use ice as he said the knee is very inflamed on the side
(((Hugs Kylie)))

Does glucosamine help on the arthritis? I've been told it helps prevent loss of cartilage, but I don't really know.

When you say you need to walk "...different tracks each time..." are you talking about walking on a treadle? Would water walking be a good exercise for you?

I sure hope you find ways take care of the pain and that any tear, heals itself soon.

Good morning all. I'm just sitting down with my first cup of coffee. Its supposed to be a beautiful day today so I'm going to have a nice slow start and just ramble around til I have to leave for work.

Good morning, Alix. It's been beautiful here. Amazingly so.

I just polished off the last of my bacon from the freezer on two sesame seed buns with lettuce and mayo. Shortly I'll be firing up the WSM and putting 10 lbs of bellies on.

I tried to go to sleep. I guess I am just not tired enough yet. Will try again later. I called my daughter. She started her chemo for this month, last night. She goes for her next MRI on 9/13 and then goes to see her oncologist a couple of days later to get the results. That is when they will decide if she is to continue on the chemo or not. She is returning to work part time on 9/19. It will be for 20 hours a week. Just enough to keep her medical coverage. She is feeling good. She mentioned that she is forgetting a lot of things. I don't know if it is from the chemo or something else. We all tend to forget words as we get older, but she is forgetting things she has been doing for years. That has me worried. I told her to let her doctor know.

I am going to my grandson's house Saturday for the whole day. He graduates from the firefighter's academy and they are having a party. I will get to see three of my great grandchildren. He is certified as an EMT also, so that will be included in his new pay rate. One more family getting on their feet finally.

My youngest daughter's youngest child who recently got married is moving to Kentucky at Fort Campbell to be with her new husband. He is done with basic training.

This family is finally getting their act together. I was beginning to think it would never happen.

Now for a cup of coffee. :angel:

I'm going to bed. I put up 7 liters of bread and butter pickles and six of dills. Had to clean the kitchen before I could go to bed. I so hate being on TOU power rates.

You're amazing! I haven't done any putting-by since the kids were born. And about those power rates? Crazy, isn't it. Our first home had a "load demand meter" that measured peak usage at the time it occurred, then was reset to zero when they read the meter. You make one "oops" and you're screwed for the entire billing cycle. Hated it - looks like the electric industry is pushing it for use across the country. Grr....

Fingers crossed CG :)

Thanks Kylie! Unfortunately, my crossed fingers didn't seem to be doing any good for your knee. :( A few years back I had a small accident - on vacation - in Yosmite Park in California; the doctor in the ER thought I had torn my ACL and put me in a knee brace. When I got home to our own doctor he found out that all I had done was sprain my knee really badly. BUT keeping it immobilized help the sprain heal quicker. If you're supposed to rest and you keep doing too much walking around I suggest you have Steve duct tape a couple straight boards along side your knee! ;)

You're amazing! I haven't done any putting-by since the kids were born. And about those power rates? Crazy, isn't it. Our first home had a "load demand meter" that measured peak usage at the time it occurred, then was reset to zero when they read the meter. You make one "oops" and you're screwed for the entire billing cycle. Hated it - looks like the electric industry is pushing it for use across the country. Grr....
If you got the land, might as well grow some food...and if you grow some food, well, you might as well put food away for the winter...although it is very tiring doing this in the middle of the night. And I refuse to steam up the house and run the A/C during the day with TOU power rates. They call our meters "smart meters." Not everyone in Ontario has one. I was one of the "lucky" ones to get mine almost the first month they installed them. Seven p.m. Fridays has a whole new meaning for me...lowest rates until 7:00 a.m. Monday. The countdown has already begun. I still have tomatoes and more corn to do.

They are getting it contained. New fires in Idaho are popping up. It's my last day in the camp, I can't handle the smoke anymore. I'll be getting the dinner set up and catch a ride at 5pm back to town.

Shower first, sleep in my own bed...then make-up work at work for the weekend.

Sounds like trying to play Whack-a-Mole - just when you bash one down, another pops up. Hope fire season ends early for you guys out west...

I'm heading out to grocery shop. If I get out soon enough I'll stop at the library for a book and a DVD. If I take long enough at the store I can time it to hit the very new, very local (next town from us) brewer that opened for business last month. He's tapping a new beer he's trying, a doppelbock, and it would be nice to have some fresh-drawn beer to go with the grilled dogs. :yum:

I just pulled my pork bellies off the smoker.
They are now officially slabs of bacon.

And now I am smelling these all through the house :pig:
Bacon 2 bellies.jpg
I had them in the dog safe (oven) gently coming up to room temp. Now they are in the fridge cooling off so they slice easier.

(((Hugs Kylie)))

Does glucosamine help on the arthritis? I've been told it helps prevent loss of cartilage, but I don't really know.

When you say you need to walk "...different tracks each time..." are you talking about walking on a treadle? Would water walking be a good exercise for you?

I sure hope you find ways take care of the pain and that any tear, heals itself soon.

Thank you so much Taxy xxx

I am not sure about glucosamine helping, but I will look into it for sure :)

It is when we go out for our nightly walks, we were doing a certain block, the surgeon said that that can make the Iliotibial Band Syndrome worse as you are using the same muscles and tissues in your leg and knee each time, so he said to walk different blocks, different parks etc

I am not sure about walking walking, but it sounds like it would be a good idea, will look into that too, thanks Taxy :)

Thanks Kylie! Unfortunately, my crossed fingers didn't seem to be doing any good for your knee. :( A few years back I had a small accident - on vacation - in Yosmite Park in California; the doctor in the ER thought I had torn my ACL and put me in a knee brace. When I got home to our own doctor he found out that all I had done was sprain my knee really badly. BUT keeping it immobilized help the sprain heal quicker. If you're supposed to rest and you keep doing too much walking around I suggest you have Steve duct tape a couple straight boards along side your knee! ;)

Thank you CG xxx

Yes, I was considering buying a knee brace for when we go on our walks, I meant to ask the surgeon about it yesterday but after all the results I just forgot..I think any type of support would certainly help, possibly even with the arthritis :)

I am sitting here getting depressed. I have been trying to vacuum and I just can't do it. It is so frustrating. I have a canister and that is part of the problem. I need to get an upright. I find myself tripping over the hose, always have the dang thing in the wrong place. I have to admit, I need to have a housekeeper come in once a week. I just can't do this anymore. I vacuumed one spot and my heart was racing so hard. And I can't keep asking Spike to do my housework. He has his own work that he does all day. So often he falls asleep here right in the computer chair. I am losing ground and I don't like it. :angel:

I am going to my grandson's house Saturday for the whole day. He graduates from the firefighter's academy and they are having a party. I will get to see three of my great grandchildren. He is certified as an EMT also, so that will be included in his new pay rate. One more family getting on their feet finally.

Congratulations to your grandson Ads, that is such a great job that he will be doing :)

Hope you have a lovely day!

I am sitting here getting depressed. I have been trying to vacuum and I just can't do it. It is so frustrating. I have a canister and that is part of the problem. I need to get an upright. I find myself tripping over the hose, always have the dang thing in the wrong place. I have to admit, I need to have a housekeeper come in once a week. I just can't do this anymore. I vacuumed one spot and my heart was racing so hard. And I can't keep asking Spike to do my housework. He has his own work that he does all day. So often he falls asleep here right in the computer chair. I am losing ground and I don't like it. :angel:
(((Hugs Addie))) :angel:

I understand not liking the feeling of losing ground. But, maybe if you get that housework help (and maybe some other help too), you will find that you can regain ground on things that are more enjoyable, because you won't be too tired to do them.
:angel:

(((Hugs Addie))) :angel:

I understand not liking the feeling of losing ground. But, maybe if you get that housework help (and maybe some other help too), you will find that you can regain ground on things that are more enjoyable, because you won't be too tired to do them.
:angel:

+1!
Definitely try to make your life more enjoyable.

Today I got my results back from my MRI

Okay...I have 2 things happening and one suspicious one

I have arthritis in the kneecap, it is under the patella and some of the cartilage has gone already...if it gets worse down the track, I can get some cartilage replaced possibly

I also have something called IBS, Iliotibial Band Syndrome...it is what is causing the pain on the outer side of my knee. At this point there is not much they can do about it, but if it gets worse or continues causing pain the surgeon suggested an arthoscopy to see what is going on inside as scans, mri's etc cant see everything

The suspicious one is on the inner side of my knee, there "may" be a small tear in the ligament..that is probably why it is extremely painful to touch...but he said at this point to leave it....if it starts to cause pain whilst walking etc then that may mean it definitely was a tear and that it is getting bigger, which will need surgery

So at this point, I definitely have arthritis of the kneecap and this IBS...I just have to keep an eye on things...I am not to use the exercise bike and when I walk I need to walk different tracks each time as walking the same block for example puts more pressure on the lateral band. I can take anti inflammatory tablets and use ice as he said the knee is very inflamed on the side
It's a peace of ming getting the results back. Maybe walking in a pool would give you some relief in your arthritic knee. I know it's done wonders for my knee as I also have arthritis. Good luck with it!

Back
Top Bottom