What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good deal.
I'm going to start saving dead branches from the apple trees around me. I *think* all you need to do is de-bark them. I think...

I'm sitting here cooking and surfing and wondering who all we are missing here. Seems like a slow post count day.

Counting the bruises from the visiting Great Dane. Sadly, like so many dogs that come into rescue, he lacks house manners and, well, has one very annoying behaviour...he mounts humans. We figured out the trigger (arm raised out to the side--which happens to be how I teach eye contact). Fortunately, he nudges me in the stomach (which is where his head is--he is a big boy) before he does this behaviour so I'm working on breaking the behaviour sequence.

When Giants are puppies, people often teach them to "hug." Not a good idea when the dog gets to be 140 lb. He knocked me off my feet on the front lawn yesterday (fill in the blanks). Suffice it to say, I was glad no one was driving by with their cell phone capturing a video--it would've gone viral on YouTube. He had the upper ... um ... hand, but I did manage to escape and regain my footing. Now when we go out, I'm using a prong collar, even though the rescue group doesn't approve of prong collars. I did not like them for a long time, either. However, after a Saint wrenched my back pulling, I changed my tune. Not the type of collar for every dog, but if one knows how to use it (the collar does the work, not the person--no jerking, tugging--just stand still), it can be an effective tool (Saints can pull 12x their body weight--we've all gone lawn surfing at least once on the other end of the leash with a Saint). I would not use it on him (he doesn't pull when walking) except I have to be able to get him off of me and sheer strength (mine) is not enough. He is one strong boy.

Fortunately, I am smarter than the average Great Dane and have trained a lot of dogs over the years. This is, however, my first "mounting" Giant. Once I succeed in redirecting this behaviour before it gets to the "mount" stage, I will work him on a flat collar. Real cute behaviour, former owners.

Last edited:
I didn't read it either, CG, but I didn't want to miss an opportunity for a cross-reference :wacko:

I'm waiting for the mail. According to USPS tracking, I have a package sitting in the local PO that isn't due to be delivered until tomorrow. So when the mail truck rolls through here (any minute now), I'll know if I need to make a trip to the PO to get my package. In which case that's what I'll be doing :)

I don't share your confidence, pac.

On August 5, I renewed a prescription from my prescription service via the Internet. All went well with the service and I awaited my package.

Within a few hours of placing the order I received the tracking number. Cool. Then the fun began...

On Aug. 9 the, box left Compton, CA, by Aug. 12 it had made its way to Hazelwood, MO. Got to Cincinnati, OH on Aug. 18. Left Cincinnati the next day and ended up in Des Moines, IA the same day and left there a few hours later. Guess what? Back to Hazelwood, MO on the 20th and got out of there later that day. Arrived in Mayfield, KY on the 21st, which is almost here. I finally received it on August 22.

The hilarious part is that, at the bottom of the tracking information, it assured me that the parcel would be delivered to my no later than August 17th.

Hope you receive what you ordered...at least in this lifetime.:ohmy::ROFLMAO:

Good deal.
I'm going to start saving dead branches from the apple trees around me. I *think* all you need to do is de-bark them. I think...

I'm sitting here cooking and surfing and wondering who all we are missing here. Seems like a slow post count day.
I haven't debarked mine. I let them dry and then cut them into discs to use with my smoker. I do the same with pear tree branches.

Katie, USPS tracking is absolutely absurd. It's never right. Could be early, could be late, but at least you know when the mailman shows up which it is. Today UPS didn't show up until 5:00. A couple says ago it was 10:00 AM. I know I've said it before, but I love that the mail runs like clockwork, even if they don't know what's in the truck :LOL:

I haven't debarked mine. I let them dry and then cut them into discs to use with my smoker. I do the same with pear tree branches.

You would know, but I could have sworn I read to take the bark off. Maybe it burns quicker and raises your temps?

You would know, but I could have sworn I read to take the bark off. Maybe it burns quicker and raises your temps?
I would say yes (that's what happens with birch--the "paper" burns faster than the wood). I soak the discs. I do know that when you turn apple wood, it is lovely <g>. Maybe I'll take the bark off and do a test. I'm hankering to smoke the last turkey in my freezer when the temps drop (and when I have room in my 2nd fridge--into full veggie / garden harvest mode right now).

I'm having a Suzy Homemaker day. I just scrubbed all my pickling stuff, baked 3 dozen cookies, set the water distiller running, ran out for groceries and now I'm sitting with a cuppa and a cookie!

And did you make those cookies in your Easy Bake Oven? :angel:

Resisting the urge to shop online for a meat hook...besides his annoying habit of humping everyone he meets, said guest also is very vocal. I ignore him when he is, when he is quiet, he gets rewarded, but it is after 11 p.m. and I'm very tempted to hang him on a meat hook (if I had one). Google search string "meat hook immediate delivery SE Ontario."

I am trying to relax my brain after long discussions earlier with Amazon and my credit card company. Long discussions with heavily accented women and long times on hold.
Now I have to wait until 10:00 this morning for the right cc dept to open so I can try to find out how my account got closed on Monday. The account I have all my automated payments (and Amazon orders) drawn from. Sheesh.

And it's still stinkin'! :mad:
It's taken me this long to get through to a manager without being cut off, but it seems she's on top of things.
I was hoping it would be a simple case of fraud and them shutting the card down, but all I know is that was not it.

And it's still stinkin'! :mad:
It's taken me this long to get through to a manager without being cut off, but it seems she's on top of things.
I was hoping it would be a simple case of fraud and them shutting the card down, but all I know is that was not it.
I hope they get it figured out to your satisfaction soon.

Thanks Linda.
She called me back and said it should be up and running again by 4:00, but still had no clue why it was cancelled. That's not very reassuring when so much is done electronically these days. It makes me wonder if their security was breached. Oh well.

So Fred, is your credit card account all better now?

I'm about to make Margaritas. Let the weekend begin.
fiesta.gif

Thanks Linda.
She called me back and said it should be up and running again by 4:00, but still had no clue why it was cancelled. That's not very reassuring when so much is done electronically these days. It makes me wonder if their security was breached. Oh well.

Must have gone over your limit buying the grill and bacon fixin's. :LOL:

Is your CC company US-based? Ours is and we haven't had any problems since we opened it in 1987. Quite a track records these days.

Back
Top Bottom