What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But pac, they're so cute! Cute, that is, if you don't mind large, mischievous doggies. :LOL:
myweims.jpg

If you guys are ever bored and want to look at pretty things, our niece has a website with her artwork: award-winning mosaics and photographs. You can find the site here: Cherie Bosela - Mosaic Artist - News

She has also done some jewelry. The "Shop" link at the top of her website page takes you to photos of all kinds of stuff that she's sold on etsy. She does some really neat things - especially her detailed glass mosaics. If you look at them, keep in mind that this woman had absolutely NO patience as a youngster! :ROFLMAO:

Cute pic of them, CG.
And October happens to be Weimaraner month in my sleeping puppies calendar. Of course, I've never actually seen one sleeping in real life. I don't think anybody has :LOL:

T minus six days on the pup. The breeder has Columbus Day off and is bringing her here :)

Not to mention the football playing Clydesdales.

There is a clip showing how they train the horse to do that. But my favorite was the colt hitching himself up and the parents at the back pushing the wagon. If you ever want to just kill time, click on the Bud Horses and there are so many clips showing all the things these magnificent horses are trained to do. A great way to kill a rainy afternoon. I have a special spot in my heart for horses. :angel:

Cute pic of them, CG.
And October happens to be Weimaraner month in my sleeping puppies calendar. Of course, I've never actually seen one sleeping in real life. I don't think anybody has :LOL:

T minus six days on the pup. The breeder has Columbus Day off and is bringing her here :)

My granddaughter had one and she failed to look up the habits of the breed. They love to bark incessantly for no reason at all. Not good when you are only feet from your neighbor next door. :angel:

I am feel on top of the world!!

I had an appointment with my vascular doctor today. I woke up in a great mood. All is well, and my blood pressure was right on! My oxygen level was at 100%. It is always around 97%. I have gained four pounds, but that is okay with me. It tells me I am eating. My sugar level was low. And I am feeling on top on the world. I am even walking without limping. My hip and spine are feeling great, and the arthritis in my fingers is non existent. It has been a long time since I felt this good. Here hoping it last for the whole day. :angel:

Yay Addie, glad to hear about your good health report!

My granddaughter had one and she failed to look up the habits of the breed. They love to bark incessantly for no reason at all. Not good when you are only feet from your neighbor next door. :angel:
From what I've seen, they bark a lot if they aren't played with and allowed to run. My niece gets up early enough before work so they can go outside and play ball for a little bit (maybe 5-10 minute?) plus they run around in the enclosed yard the entire morning until she leaves. They bark when she goes out the door...and then stop when the car starts. They're happy to see her when she gets home, but then they know they get outside right after they get cuddles. They do require a lot of attention and love, but they don't usually bark if those needs are met.

Probably holds true for a lot of different breeds. Right about now I wish the neighbors next door would go play ball with their Great Pyrenees...:mad:

I'm going to start prepping dinner while watching TV. Going to find out what the Talking Heads are saying about the Executive Talking Head. Wishing these people would quit acting like 2nd graders all the way around...

And will somebody start tonight's dinner thread? We need to mix this up a little people! Just make sure you get the date format right...:angel:

I just spent the whole afternoon looking at You Tubes of the Clydesdale horses. Did you know that Budweiser owns eight different breeding farms? I learned a lot about them. What I would like to know is how do they decide which colts are going to be draft horses and which ones will be raised for breeding. That decision has to be made when they are just young colts. All their draft horses are geldings. And which fillies do they decide to use as breeding mares? :angel:
Martin Clunes (British Actor with a passion for horses) did a television series about horses last year and one programme featured the Budweiser Clydesdales. Beautiful animals.

There are several breweries in the UK which have teams of Shire horses (another breed of "cart" horses in Britain). They are mostly used for show work and turn out to local festivals, etc., but there are some breweries such as Wadworth in Wiltshire and Hook Norton in the Cotswolds who still use their horses for local deliveries. Great publicity and useful work to keep the horses fit.

However, Carlsberg UK who took over Tetley's brewery decided to axe the Tetley dray horses a few years ago. Surplus to requirements and not profitable. More fool them. They got rid of a great advertising gimmick.

A friend of ours keeps a Shire mare for riding and they won Supreme Champion against Thoroughbreds and Warmbloods at our Charity Horse Show last year. I've also seen a lady riding a Shire side saddle at a Side Saddle Association show - heaven knows how she found a side saddle to fit! There a number of equestrian centres all over the UK which use Shires and Clydesdales for riding, including dressage and show jumping. They look heavy and cumbersome but they are very light on their feet.

Last edited:
I just spent the whole afternoon looking at You Tubes of the Clydesdale horses. Did you know that Budweiser owns eight different breeding farms? I learned a lot about them. What I would like to know is how do they decide which colts are going to be draft horses and which ones will be raised for breeding. That decision has to be made when they are just young colts. All their draft horses are geldings. And which fillies do they decide to use as breeding mares? :angel:
The colts and fillies will be chosen for breeding on the basis of breed type, conformation, colour, etc., (see the the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy Clydesdale pages -sorry the link won't show) and the mares will be brood mares, kept for the breeding programme and not worked with the others. I'm not sure whether Budweiser have their own stallions in their breeding programme or whether they use "outsiders" (in-breeding is not good in horses just as it isn't in humans). The fillies who are not chosen for the breeding programme will be sold on, as will any colts and geldings which are surplus to requirements. Don't worry about their fate. They won't be going into cans of dog food. They will be papered (ie have certificated pedigrees) and will be much in demand for showing, working or other breeding programmes. I don't know but it's possible that the geldings destined for the Budweiser teams may be chosen for similar colouring and markings to their fellows as it makes a smart combination if the horses are similar in appearance to each other

Like us, mares are subject, to a greater or lesser extent, to their hormones and may be a pain in the neck at certain times so a lot of companies prefer not to use them for draught work. A mare with the equine equivalent of PMT can be a nightmare and cause chaos in a mixed sex team! Geldings may not be able to father foals but many of them retain an interest in the ladies!

Last edited:
I didn't know Clunes was an actor. I thought he was a dog trainer or something. I watched two specials he had a few years ago; Martin Clunes and his dogs. Interesting.

Talking about Horses.....

It's the Horse of the Year Show from tomorrow until Sunday. It's one of the premier horse shows in Britain and attracts riders and horses from all over the world.

Last year, Jenna, the manageress of and daughter of the owner of the livery and teaching yard where my Horse lives, carried off the Ladies Hunter Championship (a side saddle class) and the Show Hunter of the Year Championship (an astride class).

It must have put a lot of noses out of joint as, although she has ridden and shown ponies and horses since she was a little girl, she is an Amateur and was competing against top rank professional riders and producers of show horses. AND she had only been riding side saddle for a little over a year!

I feel very proud of her as I gave her her first side saddle lesson. Well, to be strictly fair, I lent her my side saddle, showed her how to fit it onto her horse and took her into the manege, showed her how to sit and corrected her position as she rode. It wasn't really a proper lesson.

She's qualified again to the Horse of the Year Show but the competing world being what it is I would be very surprised if she'll be allowed to win again. Perhaps I'm just being wasp-ish and mean-minded but I think there's too much serious money involved in sponsorship of the professionals for an amateur to be allowed to walk off with the prize for a second time!

This is the interview for television last year
http://www.horseandcountry.tv/news/2012/10/04/jenna-tyldesley-takes-second-win-hoys

Last edited:
The colts and fillies will be chosen for breeding on the basis of breed type, conformation, colour, etc., (see the the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy Clydesdale pages -sorry the link won't show) and the mares will be brood mares, kept for the breeding programme and not worked with the others. I'm not sure whether Budweiser have their own stallions in their breeding programme or whether they use "outsiders" (in-breeding is not good in horses just as it isn't in humans). The fillies who are not chosen for the breeding programme will be sold on, as will any colts and geldings which are surplus to requirements. Don't worry about their fate. They won't be going into cans of dog food. They will be papered (ie have certificated pedigrees) and will be much in demand for showing, working or other breeding programmes. I don't know but it's possible that the geldings destined for the Budweiser teams may be chosen for similar colouring and markings to their fellows as it makes a smart combination if the horses are similar in appearance to each other

Like us, mares are subject, to a greater or lesser extent, to their hormones and may be a pain in the neck at certain times so a lot of companies prefer not to use them for draught work. A mare with the equine equivalent of PMT can be a nightmare and cause chaos in a mixed sex team! Geldings may not be able to father foals but many of them retain an interest in the ladies!

Only geldings are used for the Budweiser wagon shows. The geldings if you look at them have a matching blaze down their face. The feathers on their feet have to be of a certain length and all matching. The manes and tails have to be all black and the bodies a deep brown, and the tails get bobbed when performing. They have their own breeding stock. At any one time they have over three hundred horses in the breeding stock. What horses they decide to not keep are sold off every year. And they are privately sold through a private auction. You have to be known by Budweiser and invited to the auction. There are three wagons with a draft of eight horses each. Each wagon has three teams to be swapped off for performances. They put on quite a show.

And BTW, Budweiser travels to Devon every other year to participate in the Clyesdale show there.

I have a secret spot in my heart for these giant gentle creatures. They don't realize just how big they are and are so eager to please. Quite often you will see a pasture of foals playing together. What a lot of folks don't see is the mare playing with her baby as well. :angel:

Last edited:
Congratulations to you daughter Mad Cook. She interviews very well. And beauty on top of skill. She is going far! :angel:

Back
Top Bottom