What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had an appointment with the vet's dietitian. That was disappointing. I don't think I want to feed Shreddy, a cat and obligate carnivore, strawberries, spinach, or pumpkin. :ermm:

She recommended the same book as the other vet clinic. It's a paperback book that costs ~$27 and can only be bought from vets. The recipes require "Hilary's Blend" supplement, which is expensive and can only be bought from vets. This is starting to look like greed to me.

I think I'll go with PF's suggestion: Making Cat Food by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: homemade cat food, cat food recipes

From all the reading I have done, and I've done a lot, this vet sounds the most sensible.

Hard to imagine any cat being interested in vegetables or fruit TL. (Though my old cat Tweaky, had a very odd interest in raw potato peelings.)

Not sure how you get your average cat interested in something that isn't meat or fish based.

Veterinarians are definitely greed oriented in the states now. I know I've alluded to that many times. Probably too many, lol.

I don 't really think it is a much different here Pac.

Seems to me that there is a lot of "scaremongering" and "coercion".

Pet owners are a kind and loving type (mostly). And want the best for their pets.

Sometimes I have to wonder how easy we are to manipulate.

Of course, some of us are completely manipulated by our pets....

Attachments

• Burt relaxed.JPG
    Burt relaxed.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 167
Around here people are very easily manipulated by thier vets. All they need to do is received one of those yellow postcards in the mail telling them they need to go in and they are like cows following the bell.

What a nice smile on that cat.

Veterinarians are definitely greed oriented in the states now. I know I've alluded to that many times. Probably too many, lol.
+1 I left a vet with a minimum office charge of $71 (just for walking in the door) about 4 years back. No idea what it costs now. Even so, my current vet is $51. Next time she needs to go in I'm taking her to MY doc. :LOL:

Around here some people are very easily manipulated by thier vets. All they need to do is received one of those yellow postcards in the mail telling them they need to go in and they are like cows following the bell.

There, I fixed your post for you. ;) Wait! Who you calling a cow? :mad: :LOL:

+1 I left a vet with a minimum office charge of $71 (just for walking in the door) about 4 years back. No idea what it costs now. Even so, my current vet is $51. Next time she needs to go in I'm taking her to MY doc. :LOL:

I don't get those. My cat is very healthy (as you can see). He has great teeth (none missing). His coat is good, his eyes are clear. There are no real threats to his health here. (He is treated for worms and fleas regularly of course.)

He has of course been "done". And he is microchipped. (He is an indoor/outdoor cat). He gets the best food I can afford and he has "pet insurance". (In case he has need of expensive vet treatment.)

I don't get those. My cat is very healthy (as you can see). He has great teeth (none missing). His coat is good, his eyes are clear. There are no real threats to his health here. (He is treated for worms and fleas regularly of course.)

He has of course been "done". And he is microchipped. (He is an indoor/outdoor cat). He gets the best food I can afford and he has "pet insurance". (In case he has need of expensive vet treatment.)

I'm glad he was "done" before he was "fixed" :ROFLMAO:
(we/some call that fixed over here)

Around here people are very easily manipulated by thier vets. All they need to do is received one of those yellow postcards in the mail telling them they need to go in and they are like cows following the bell.

I am thinking you are not a big fan of cats Pac! :LOL:

But Burt is a bit like a dog! (He follows Ollie around and "sits" right next to him!) :LOL:

Fixed? (Isnt that a little emasculating?) :LOL::LOL:

Okay, yeah. "Done" isn't much different!

Not at all emasculating, it also refers to spaying females, so it goes both ways ;) Kind of a low brow term, but it sounds better then castrated and uterine hysterectomy :ermm:

The whole concept is disturbing.
It is, isn't it. I always feel awful when I have a male cat neutered. "Oh my gawd, what have I done to you?!" For some reason I don't feel as bad about having a female cat neutered. I guess it's 'cause it's her that has to have the kittens and I know how female apes (women) feel about birth control. :LOL:

We have 3 cats, 1 of them, jones, is a real talker. He is like an alarm clock in the morning. Our little chiwawa is smaller than the cats.

Katy's kitty is a kutie, isn't (s)he?

I never took our first cat to the vet except when she adopted us (sitting on our deck looking in at us - got her a check-up, then spaying) till when we moved 10 years later. And that was to get something to relax her when we drove straight from OH to MA. She was a very healthy 17 when the dog next door murdered her...:cry:

This one? Seems like every time I've HAD to take her to the vet it's "she needs this, you have to buy this" including the time she was in for FOUR days and they still didn't know what was wrong. I ended up taking her home and nursing her by instinct instead of doctor's orders...and she got well. Had I done it the vet's way I would have been giving her pain meds every four hours - and she was not in pain! They just wanted to keep her drugged. That's when I changed vets. I've taken her back only when she needed to see a vet because of a UTI. Otherwise I use my Mom sense. :LOL:

I'm sitting here watching infomercials. There's never anything good on Saturday mornings...

Back
Top Bottom