What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those 'spiky' green cauliflowers ARE gorgeous, aren't they? I've seen them in Whole Foods in the city but not in my local grocery. They're almost too pretty to eat. :LOL:

Aaargh...so tired. It's only 8:30 here now and I am so ready for bed and a movie to fall asleep by. Nighty, all. :sleep:

Off to the Alberta Children's Hospital today. Every year my employer encourages us to volunteer to setup Christmas lights on the grounds of the hospital for the families and their kids who are in the hospital over the holidays to enjoy. There are usually 10-15 of us that go every year, and it's great! It's not much, but if it makes one kid or family smile, even for just a moment, it's worth it. We know the oncology ward faces out the west side, and that is where the majority of the lights and decor go. Occasionally we get a little silly (snowball fights, snow angels etc) just to make the kids laugh. Hope everyone else has a good day!

I just finished mounting the scope to my .22 that I posted in the random pics thread. Way too windy to shoot it right now, but we have a front coming in so maybe it will die down by tonight.
Time for a cheese sandwich.

I have never seen them in the grocery stores, but they are used throughout Boston in the parks for Fall gardens along with purple cabbages. Very beautiful settings. Those are real fancy cauliflower plants.

But you still don't have an answer to your purple potatoes. And I don't have an answer for you either. Perhaps one of our folks here have used them and can help you. :angel:

Off to the Alberta Children's Hospital today. Every year my employer encourages us to volunteer to setup Christmas lights on the grounds of the hospital for the families and their kids who are in the hospital over the holidays to enjoy. There are usually 10-15 of us that go every year, and it's great! It's not much, but if it makes one kid or family smile, even for just a moment, it's worth it. We know the oncology ward faces out the west side, and that is where the majority of the lights and decor go. Occasionally we get a little silly (snowball fights, snow angels etc) just to make the kids laugh. Hope everyone else has a good day!

:wub: Even if not one soul in the world knows you did this, it leaves your heart feeling full. I have a special spot in my heart for folks who do a RAK for a child. Today you are my hero. Thank you. :angel:

I am in the middle of a family crisis. Poo, (he is the PA) my youngest child and the one with all the medical knowledge, has been trying to reach my daughter. He called me about another matter and sounded upset. So I asked him what was wrong.

It seems my daughter has not been returning his calls. Only texting him. When I asked him what was wrong with that his answer floored me. Although I was not surprised. "She is my sister and I would like to be able to talk to her just once. At this time next year she will be dead." He wants to set a date where he can come to visit. When all this started, I told Poo that I wanted to be told the full truth all the time. Well, he has been doing that for certain. So I call my daughter and ask her why she hasn't talked to her brother on the phone. "We talk by texting." I asked her if maybe folks would like to hear the sound of a voice instead of texting. So I have become the mediator between the two of them.

My daughter doesn't seem to (or doesn't want to) see why there is a problem. I don't want to push her and blurt out something I shouldn't, so I am letting all the blame fall on Poo. I think I found the solution. When Poo gets upset with my daughter, he should call me, let me break it to her, whatever it may be about, and let him know what she has to say. The same goes for The Pirate. He thinks he has all the time in the world to talk to her or stop by and see her. And I can't tell him the full truth. He would blurt it out to her.

So I have to be the strong one and pretend that the chemo is working. She feels fine right now, but how long that will last does not look good. I am tired of being the strong one in this family. When my youngest daughter died, I had the problems of five small kids dumped in my lap immediately and had no time to grieve myself. It looks like history is going to repeat itself.

Okay, Pity Party is over. Thanks for listening. :angel:

I am looking for new dining room curtains and a new curtain rod. I had the old pinch pleat kind in the 63 length and it looks like I can't find any in our stores. I will have to order them either through a store or on the internet. I looked at Sears today and the lady said they don't carry curtains anymore in the store. I said that's a shame and she said, yes it is, they get a lot of calls for them. So why don't they stock them??

That is awesome, Toffi. The families are blessed to have you and your group do this for them. Yes, if they can forget what they are going through for even a few minutes and have some fun, then it's all worth it. Thank you for this. :wub:

Last edited:
:pig::clap: I am doing a happy dance and my tummy is singing happy tunes. My daughter just sent me a small order of fried deep sea scallops and one of fried clams. I wolfed down the scallops. My favorite sea food of all times. I am halfway through the clams. But I need to take a break. I am full! I was afraid of the scallops at first. I am allergic to the iodine in sea food. Had I tasted even a minute bit in anyone of the scallops, I would have spit it out and not touched any of the rest. But the food gods were with me. Not one drop of iodine in any of them. :angel:

I am trying to work out where to ask a question about Worcestershire Sauce?

I don't use it much for anything but I only have to watch DDD before I realise it is ubiquitous in American "Diner" cooking.

Or is it??

Do you use Worcestershire Sauce?

I am trying to work out where to ask a question about Worcestershire Sauce?

I don't use it much for anything but I only have to watch DDD before I realise it is ubiquitous in American "Diner" cooking.

Or is it??

Do you use Worcestershire Sauce?

I use it on steaks, in casseroles, gravy, tomato juice etc.

I only use Lea & Perrins!

"Dear old Worcester sauce!" as Clarissa Dickson Wright and Jennifer Mary Paterson, the Fat Ladies, used to say.

I miss them!

I use it on steaks, in casseroles, gravy, tomato juice etc.

I only use Lea & Perrins!

"Dear old Worcester sauce!" as Clarissa Dickson Wright and Jennifer Mary Paterson, the Fat Ladies, used to say.

I miss them!

The Fat Ladies crossed the pond?? I had no idea!

(They were good fun -but very different people). Both lovely though. I have one of their books actually - it has a very unfortunately named recipe in it!! :rolleyes: (Probably not even allowed to say it here!) I won't ever be cooking it in any case! :LOL:

(They were good fun -but very different people). Both lovely though. I have one of their books actually - it has a very unfortunately named recipe in it!! :rolleyes: (Probably not even allowed to say it here!) I won't ever be cooking it in any case! :LOL:

The Two Fat Ladies Full Throttle, I have that book and a set of videos.

I have never asked the butcher for the parts needed to make that particular stew! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:

Oh do tell. If the word isn't allowed on the forum, the posting engine will substitute asterisks.

Back
Top Bottom