What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm researching the costs of learning how to fly an airplane. There are many levels to the lessons; everything is in steps from a single-engine propeller engine to a four-engine jet.

I wonder if I were to join the US Air Force would they teach me this? Do you have to be born in the USA to join the US Air Force?

With love,
~Cat

I'm researching the costs of learning how to fly an airplane. There are many levels to the lessons; everything is in steps from a single-engine propeller engine to a four-engine jet.

I wonder if I were to join the US Air Force would they teach me this? Do you have to be born in the USA to join the US Air Force?

With love,
~Cat

No you don't. Some of our greatest heroes have been men and women born in other countries. And as a college graduate, you would qualify for officers training. I would suggest that you talk to a recruiter. Just don't allow them to talk you into signing before you leave. Make it quite clear you are only there for information. You will need to change your major in school. That is something the recruiter can tell you all about. Journalism doesn't quite give you the background you will need to be a pilot. Fine, if you are going to be just a paper pusher and write reports all day.

In this country the only job you can not hold is President. Sorry, you have to be born here to attain that goal. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Usually around graduation time, there are recruiters floating around the campus. :angel:

Last edited:

With love,
~Cat

It's quite expensive to learn how to fly a plane, as I'm sure you're finding out! ;)

Yes, the Air Force will teach you to fly, if you qualify to be a pilot; qualifying standards, both physical and mental, are high, and it's very competitive. The other four services (Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard) have pilots, too, for flying fighter jets, transport planes, or helicopters. In exchange for that expensive training, you're expected to volunteer your service to the military, which can include combat or flying into dangerous places, for at least eight years. You may sign up for two, four or six years (not as a pilot, though), but you have to serve the remainder in the National Guard or Reserves in order to make the eight years. And when you're in the National Guard or Reserves, you're subject to being called back to active duty at any time.

This page - Military Service Commitments - What is a Military Service Commitment? - says Air Force pilots have to serve a minimum of 12 years, so the AF gets its money's worth for that expensive training ;) You can retire with a pension at 20 years of service, so many military people I have known felt that, once you've served 12, what's another 8 to get the pension and Veterans Administration health care for life? If you're, say 25 when you join and 37 at the end of the 12 years of service, another 8 years will bring you to 45 years old. Plenty of time then to go back to school for that journalism degree and a second career :)

Definitely talk to a recruiter and, as Addie said, don't sign anything at all at your first visit. It would be a good idea to take a friend with you as well.

Going into military service is a major commitment. My husband was in the Navy for four years and we have lots of friends and family who have served for much longer. It can be a very difficult life, because your life belongs to the military. As my mom told me, when I complained about DH being away at sea for 2.5 years of the first four years of our marriage: "If they had wanted you (the military member) to have a family, they'd have issued you one."

Last edited:
I ordered some of that fog chaser coffee this morning. I finally checked into Kienna pods earlier in the week and shipping would have brought them to over a buck a pod. Ouch.
And I just finished two glorious Canadian bacon sandwiches. I may make another...
Now it's a Rich Man, Poor Man extravaganza until tonight's football game.

I ordered some of that fog chaser coffee this morning. I finally checked into Kienna pods earlier in the week and shipping would have brought them to over a buck a pod. Ouch.
And I just finished two glorious Canadian bacon sandwiches. I may make another...
Now it's a Rich Man, Poor Man extravaganza until tonight's football game.

Tomorrow night the Pats are going to be playing. Anyone making a special dish for that game? :angel:

Don't make me Google a picture of Mr T :rolleyes:
We've got you in 2-3 weeks I believe.

Well since the idea is to make the food of the opposing team, I would suggest a New England Boiled Dinner with a smoked shoulder, potatoes, carrots, turnips and any other root veggie, or some Clam Chowda with Oysterette crackers. (Only the blue bloods on Beacon Hill add the H.) :angel:

We are celebrating Stirling's birthday a day early. We have asked friends to join us at the Old Dublin Pub. We are celebrating early because it's a Sunday and people have to work tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Latté was helping me wrap Christmas presents. She now has some paper and ribbon to play with. A couple of the packages have teeth marks in the ribbon...

picking up after the girls and grandkids. boy am I pooped. dialysis at 6 a.m. tomorrow yuk
kades

Cardio appointment tomorrow, in which I'm either going to fire her or get her to pay attention to what I have to say. Then another appointment, after that I will be coming home and going to bed. Stress is not being my friend lately.

Cardio appointment tomorrow, in which I'm either going to fire her or get her to pay attention to what I have to say. Then another appointment, after that I will be coming home and going to bed. Stress is not being my friend lately.
I have an app with the doc who keeps wrapping my leg!! I'm so sick of that man and his one more time crap I could just scream last time I sat in the car and cried and the stress is really getting to me to!
ma

I have an app with the doc who keeps wrapping my leg!! I'm so sick of that man and his one more time crap I could just scream last time I sat in the car and cried and the stress is really getting to me to!
ma

I'm so sorry, Ma! But not so sorry that I don't want your leg to be better. I know, selfish of me.

I'm so sorry, Ma! But not so sorry that I don't want your leg to be better. I know, selfish of me.
No not selfish, it's nice to know someone cares big time I'll be thinking of you and your app. Wishing you all the best sweetie.
hugs
ma

Back
Top Bottom