What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am sitting here with a pile of appointment cards for medical appointments in December and January. The only clinic I am not scheduled to go to is Obstetrics. Well, I better get busy and start to enter them in my calendar. :angel:

Watching the Weather channel to see when we'll get the predicted ice storm. As I mentioned yesterday, the outlook is expected to be similar to the one in January 2009.

We had planned to leave bright and early tomorrow morning to drive to Atlanta to have Christmas with two of my children and their families. Doesn't look like we'll be going. Even if we did get there, another storm is expected the day we are slated to drive home.

That being the case, we've decided not to make the trip. Too many risks both to us while traveling and to what might occur here at the house with ice damage, etc.

So we've regrouped and prepared our "nest" for the onslaught.

Plenty of extra water to drink and to flush with. Plenty of food canned, fresh, frozen. Light sources available, either oil lamps or battery-powered. Extra batteries on hand. Phones charged. Computer charged.

All animals "tucked in" and have lots of extra food and water for them. I made my girls an especially cozy bed out of an old goose down comforter. The studio is normally nice and warm, but if the electricity goes off, they'll need extra warmth.

We'll be all tucked in, too. Lots of comforters and blankets available for the humans of this household.

Gas logs in the living room are at the ready and the gas cooktop in the kitchen can be pressed into service at a moment's notice.

If necessary, we have some spare cash. Last time, because of no electricity, all electronic cash machines and cash registers didn't work, so cash became king.

Guess we're ready.

The grandchildren will be disappointed but I'd rather visit them when it's safer.

Are the vehicles gassed up with plenty of windshield defrost liquid? I'm guessing yes - you seem quite well prepared :)

Here's hoping there's little or no damage. Sorry you have to miss Christmas with the kids. My mom likes to say people should celebrate Christmas in July, but of course, she flies to California to see the grandkids anyway ;)

so maybe it's worth giving Vibrams a try?
I've heard they even have winter models...
There are a couple of "Five-Finger Shoe" manufacturers in the U.S. but I also need some arch support at times. Seems like my day is spent kicking shoes on and off! :LOL: Besides, those probably feel funny on feet. I can't even wear those toe-socks that our daughter loves!

.... I had to give away a lot of shoes because I just can't fit my feet in them.....

You reminded me of an organization that collects shoes for the needy: http://soles4souls.org/. A friend collects them locally (central MA) but I'm sure there are other community groups that also collect for Soles 4 Souls. Might be an option for donations instead of Goodwill and all. :angel:

Watching the Weather channel to see when we'll get the predicted ice storm. As I mentioned yesterday, the outlook is expected to be similar to the one in January 2009.....................If necessary, we have some spare cash. Last time, because of no electricity, all electronic cash machines and cash registers didn't work, so cash became king.

Guess we're ready.

The grandchildren will be disappointed but I'd rather visit them when it's safer.
Toilet paper? You didn't mention toilet paper. :-p My Dad always said there are two things you should always have on hand, toilet paper and soap. In the event that bartering must be done he said those two commodities would get you more than bullets. He lived in a simpler time... :(

Hopefully you'll get than chance to see the grandkids soon in the new year.

Posts all read? Check. Commented on a couple? Of course! :LOL: All caught up on DC? *sigh* That means by break time is up. Off to do more Christmas-y things. :)

I was just thinking that I should remind everyone to watch your purse while shopping. My sons girlfriend had hers stolen the day before Thanksgiving. She had it in her cart at the grocery store and turned her back for a second and it was gone. They saw on the store video that a man was following her around the store, just waiting for his chance. Please be careful.

Watching "The Sound of Music" on NBC. Love that musical. Carrie Underwood is doing a fantastic job!

Last edited:
Trying to warm up! The temp here is 0. Bitter cold all day. Tried to do some Christmas shopping. Just being in the store 20 mn required to re warm up the car for 10 minutes! Enough of that! High of 3 expected tomorrow.

Are the vehicles gassed up with plenty of windshield defrost liquid? I'm guessing yes - you seem quite well prepared :)

Here's hoping there's little or no damage. Sorry you have to miss Christmas with the kids. My mom likes to say people should celebrate Christmas in July, but of course, she flies to California to see the grandkids anyway ;)

Yes. Both vehicles and the motorcycle are filled to the top. All fluids are taken care of. Made sure of that on Monday.

Hoping for the best. We're going to bed soon and will see what tomorrow brings.

Yes. Both vehicles and the motorcycle are filled to the top. All fluids are taken care of. Made sure of that on Monday.

Hoping for the best. We're going to bed soon and will see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

I won't miss all those preparations; I experienced many extended power outages the last 4 decades in Southern Ohio. The last one being the derecho of May/June 2012. I brought my generator with me, but will be selling it once my storage unit is emptied.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Katie, I sure hope your storm is mild.

I spent the afternoon and evening with a close friend. She doesn't have a car, so we went to Ikea - her choice. We were going to have supper at my house, but when we got to my house I was too tired to cook. Stirling suggested that we go out to eat, so we went to the local Greek restaurant.

Then I drove her home with her Ikea purchases and my old food processor. Had a good time and got stuff out of my house. :)

I am posting from my phone because I spilled a bit of coffee on my laptop earlier today. I quickly turned it off and soaked up as much of the coffee as possible with a tissue. I will give it about 24 hours to dry before I turn it on and find out if it still works. Wish me luck.

I was just thinking that I should remind everyone to watch your purse while shopping. My sons girlfriend had hers stolen the day before Thanksgiving. She had it in her cart at the grocery store and turned her back for a second and it was gone. They saw on the store video that a man was following her around the store, just waiting for his chance. Please be careful.
That is such a shame! They warn you about leaving your purse in the cart on the news all the time but it's easier to put it in the baby seat. Just for this reason most of my purses are on long shoulder straps. I wear my purse across my body messenger style, but with the purse in front. Someone reach for my purse and I'll break their fingers. :mad: I could also collect DNA with my fingernails. BwaHaHa!

If you haven't bought a Christmas gift for her yet a shoulder purse might be nice?

I'm having trouble sleeping, so I am counting my blessings. These include all of you.

With love,
~Cat

....I am posting from my phone because I spilled a bit of coffee on my laptop earlier today. I quickly turned it off and soaked up as much of the coffee as possible with a tissue. I will give it about 24 hours to dry before I turn it on and find out if it still works. Wish me luck.
Didn't you just christen a laptop within the past year? Or was that someone else here at DC?

I hope it dries out for you and works perfectly when you turn it on. Good luck.

I am going to head off to bed soon. Early for me, I know! But I cut myself again (not as bad as a week ago, but I hope this isn't a Thursday trend...:ermm: ) and I decided earlier today that I was too sleepy to drive around to do errands. I need more sleep, I will get more sleep. My Mom used to say you can always get enough sleep when you're dead, but if I don't get sleep soon I could be dead soon! :ermm: :LOL:

Didn't you just christen a laptop within the past year? Or was that someone else here at DC?

I hope it dries out for you and works perfectly when you turn it on. Good luck.

I am going to head off to bed soon. Early for me, I know! But I cut myself again (not as bad as a week ago, but I hope this isn't a Thursday trend...:ermm: ) and I decided earlier today that I was too sleepy to drive around to do errands. I need more sleep, I will get more sleep. My Mom used to say you can always get enough sleep when you're dead, but if I don't get sleep soon I could be dead soon! :ermm: :LOL:

Yes, that was me. That time it was half a glass of wine. That time I didn't turn it off right away and I tilted it. This time I knew better. It was also me with the cell phone that hopped into the toilet, all since April.

Yes, that was me. That time it was half a glass of wine. That time I didn't turn it off right away and I tilted it. This time I knew better. It was also me with the cell phone that hopped into the toilet, all since April.

My goodness! Perhaps you might think of keeping electronic devices in aother room where there are no liquids or toilets.

One time, Papa knocked over a full glass of Pepsi into his keyboard. There was no help for it and he had to buy a new one.

It's why I have a rule for my parents and my friends when they visit and use my laptops: No drinks near the computer.

Your cell phone went into the toilet? Oh that is awful!

With love,
~Cat

My goodness! Perhaps you might think of keeping electronic devices in aother room where there are no liquids or toilets.

One time, Papa knocked over a full glass of Pepsi into his keyboard. There was no help for it and he had to buy a new one.

It's why I have a rule for my parents and my friends when they visit and use my laptops: No drinks near the computer.

Your cell phone went into the toilet? Oh that is awful!

With love,
~Cat

Yeah, I probably should stop having beverages near the computer. I have had computers since 1983 and I am pretty sure that last April was the first time I spilled on a computer. I certainly never damaged a computer before.

I was doing something in front of the mirror when the cell phone hopped out of my back pocket into the toilet. Thank goodness the water was clean. The phone is okay now.

Yeah, I probably should stop having beverages near the computer. I have had computers since 1983 and I am pretty sure that last April was the first time I spilled on a computer. I certainly never damaged a computer before.

I was doing something in front of the mirror when the cell phone hopped out of my back pocket into the toilet. Thank goodness the water was clean. The phone is okay now.

Oh that's good! I hope everyone has such good luck.

With love,
~Cat

Back
Top Bottom