What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It must be a Wally World kind of morning, that is my destination also.

I really dislike the place, but they do have some items I have trouble finding in other stores.

I really dislike the place, but they do have some items I have trouble finding in other stores.

Ours is very small. We used to go to the one 20 miles away and it had everything. We got one in our area, within 5 miles, during the past year, but they are small and don't have the same selection, but it is very convenient. Very often if you want something the shelf is empty. They are not as good at restocking like the bigger WalMart. But they do carry Smart Balance Heart Right Lite, which is hard to find around here, and that makes me very happy.

Cat, I think you have a wonderful and delightful imagination and sense of humor. You just have the knack for this! I loved your list for "What are you doing!" Do not say that your parents are odd. They sound perfect to me!

I think it's been 5, possibly only 4 days, since I even opened the door. Icy sidewalks, streets are treacherous. The chemical/salt applied on the streets isn't effective unless the temps are above 15 F. I don't need to go anywhere, except the excitement ? being cooped up has worn off. Cats aren't helping. The oldest has already done her morning chores, open every closet door that doesn't latch properly. Then I go around and close them again. Just so she will repeat again later. The youngest is busy traveling from one window to another watching the birds/ bird feeders. She can Hear but not see a flock of sparrows rustling in a yew bush near a window, The bush is all covered in snow, and she doesn't quite know what to make of this.

Nothing pressing for me today. All I have on the books is a trip to Wally World to pick up a package of assorted bungee cords. We are expecting a lot of snow mid-week (that's what they keep saying anyway) and it's time I started covering my tractor up with the tarp. I'll pick up a bottle of olive oil while I'm there, too.

Olive oil and bungee cords...interesting purchase...:huh:

I have never been to a Walmart. Nor do I expect to be doing so in the near or far future. :angel:

Well, I have all the apples peeled and cut. Now I am waiting for the pie crust to warm up to room temperature. :

I have a question for all you cooks. When you are peeling a fruit or veggie, do you peel in one continuous strip or in small pieces? I peel round and round in one long strip. The peeling goes much faster. angel:

Last edited:
Really? I could have sworn I saw... Oh never mind...
:LOL:

Nope. Wasn't me. I don't even know how to drive. And I no longer have enough strength in my hands to turn the ignition on. But you might find me at the local skating rink doing camel spins and jumps. :angel:

A lot of people complain about WalMart but I save so much money when I shop there. I realize their employees work for minimum wage with no benefits, but many are very happy that they have a job at all. I did my time. I worked retail for minimum wage for several years, and back then, minimum wage was $1 per hour.

I have never had a problem with WalMart. They price-match, and one time they did it for me without proof, I just said that GE had the coffee for a lower price and they matched it on the spot. I never have a problem returning anything. No questions asked. I have heard about long lines at the check-out but our WalMart opens more registers as soon as they see the registers get 3 deep. I agree that it is very hard to find someone on the sales floor to help you. Nobody's perfect.

A lot of people complain about WalMart but I save so much money when I shop there. I realize their employees work for minimum wage with no benefits, but many are very happy that they have a job at all. I did my time. I worked retail for minimum wage for several years, and back then, minimum wage was $1 per hour.

I think the main problem some people have with Walmart is that their employees are paid so little, they're eligible for food stamps, Medicaid and other government assistance while the wealth owned by six members of the Walton family is equal to the wealth owned by almost 42 percent of the rest of the U.S. population.

If Walmart employees were paid a living wage, the rest of us wouldn't have to help support them. And people shouldn't be expected to be grateful for crumbs.

I think the main problem some people have with Walmart is that their employees are paid so little, they're eligible for food stamps, Medicaid and other government assistance while the wealth owned by six members of the Walton family is equal to the wealth owned by almost 42 percent of the rest of the U.S. population.

If Walmart employees were paid a living wage, the rest of us wouldn't have to help support them. And people shouldn't be expected to be grateful for crumbs.

I will probably get spanked for this, but in my opinion raising the minimum wage only pulls the middle class down. Today the bottom is $7.25 /hour and if the bottom goes up to $15.00/hour then prices and the cost of living will rise to meet that new purchasing power. The rich will still be on top as more of us slide to the bottom of the pile.

I think we need to get young folks to take the long view, stay in school, get an education and aim for a higher calling in life. When the pool of unskilled labor begins to shrink then the Walmarts of the world will begin to pay higher wages.

I'm done rambling and ranting for now. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I am with you GG. A worker has the right to expect to be able to support not only themselves, but their family when they go to work. Walmart's is really going to feel it when (or if) the new Healthcare program gets going. And the President is also pushing for an increase in the Federal minimum wage. A double whammy for the Walton kids. :angel:

I don't see Wal-Mart sacrificing profits to pay employees more. Wages go up, prices go up. Prices go up, people don't shop there anymore. People don't shop there, employees are laid off. Ooops.

I will probably get spanked for this, but in my opinion raising the minimum wage only pulls the middle class down. Today the bottom is $7.25 /hour and if the bottom goes up to $15.00/hour then prices and the cost of living will rise to meet that new purchasing power. The rich will still be on top as more of us slide to the bottom of the pile.

I think we need to get young folks to take the long view, stay in school, get an education and aim for a higher calling in life. When the pool of unskilled labor begins to shrink then the Walmarts of the world will begin to pay higher wages.

I'm done rambling and ranting for now. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The President is asking that the minimum wage be raised to $10. I consider that reasonable. If I were still part of the work force, with my skills, experience and knowledge, I would expect a minimum of $20 an hour. When I left the work force, I was making $18.

For kids in school, they often have to save for their supplies and other expenses. College kids who work presently for minimum wage have even bigger expenses to meet and save for.

Back
Top Bottom