What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you Cat. I hope he feels better soon too. We don't really celebrate Xmas. We celebrate the Winter Solstice, so that's already over.

I'm about to go get some more groceries. There's stuff I didn't buy yesterday because we weren't going to be home.

Stirling is feeling worse. He threw up. He took a hot shower, because that usually makes it easier for him to breath. Last night it had the opposite effect. He could hardly breath and had to get out of the shower. I heard him wheezing for breath and ran up the stairs. He was starting to breath better, so I didn't panic. He slowly started breathing as normally as he is doing with this illness. His temperature was ~38.35 C (101 F). I'm relieved he started breathing better without any help. I don't know what I could have done for him. I'll be calling the public health nurse later. Here, that's an 811 call.

We ran out of honey yesterday, so that's on the shopping list along with lemons, applesauce, yogourt, and maybe some chicken soup.

Taxy, here 811 is "Nurse on call", though they now have all sorts of medical professionals to help you. I have called on a couple of occasions and they have been most helpful. Public Health Care Nurses are through our health district and are difficult to get a visit from them or even talk to them. With Dad I had to fight tooth and nail to get a nurse here to change his catheter. They wanted me to take him to their office which was just too much for him getting in and out of the wheelchair, car, on and off the uncomfortable stretcher, etc. So after two times the nurse finally put in for home visits.

I have had to cancel Christmas dinner here with TB's parents. In the past I would just soldier through it and pay ten-fold when it was all over. I am tired, in pain and really just want to rest. I feel bad because I love Christmas and making Christmas dinner, but I think I have made the right decision.

Taxy, here 811 is "Nurse on call", though they now have all sorts of medical professionals to help you. I have called on a couple of occasions and they have been most helpful. Public Health Care Nurses are through our health district and are difficult to get a visit from them or even talk to them. With Dad I had to fight tooth and nail to get a nurse here to change his catheter. They wanted me to take him to their office which was just too much for him getting in and out of the wheelchair, car, on and off the uncomfortable stretcher, etc. So after two times the nurse finally put in for home visits.

I have had to cancel Christmas dinner here with TB's parents. In the past I would just soldier through it and pay ten-fold when it was all over. I am tired, in pain and really just want to rest. I feel bad because I love Christmas and making Christmas dinner, but I think I have made the right decision.
I'm sorry to read that you have to cancel Xmas dinner, but I also think that is the right decision.

Yeah, I don't really think she is what you call a public health nurse. We have had this service for donkey's years. It's called "Info Santé". There used to be local numbers for Info Santé, but it's been 811 since 2008.

I'm eating popcorn out of one of those tins. It's your fault, Pac. After you mentioned it I saw one in the store and it hopped into my cart! The tin has a beautiful winter scene on it.

I think the store used a bit of almond oil to oil the fudge pan...YUM! Just a touch of almond flavor as an aftertaste.

I was supposed to get a Fedex overnight package today before noon. They are running late, but cannot tell me how late. This is going to throw my whole afternoon off if I have to wait much longer.
So in the meantime I am eating pumpkin bread. I an washing it down with Pepsi. I'd be washing it down with milk, but I am out and can't go to the store...

UPS today announced that they are completely overwhelmed with packages. Way more than their system can handle in time for packages to reach their destination. Even if you were told your package would arrive on time. They certainly were not expecting this much business this year. I know that last Wednesday my girlfriend paid extra for overnight delivery for a package she sent me. It arrived Monday. Good luck Pac in your waiting. :angel:

OHOHOH! I'm so very excitied! I found this book, from Barnes and Noble:

The principal speeches and addresses of His Royal Highness the Prince Consort [NOOK Book]

by Prince Consort of Victoria Albert

Digitized from the 1862 edition

And it's free! I'm downloading it to my Nook now. Oh how wonderful to have a piece of history such as this! You can see it here:

The principal speeches and addresses of His Royal Highness the Prince Consort by Prince Consort of Victoria Albert | 2940023259130 | NOOK Book (eBook) | Barnes & Noble

With love,
~Cat

Oh dear. Now I have gone and Googled "microwave fudge without condensed milk" and I found recipes. Uh oh!
Taxy this white chocolate cranberry fudge I made is so easy! I know you are concerned about food additives, it does use chocolate chips.....not sure if that is something you can/will eat, but maybe you could use an alternative. Sure hope Sterling feels better soon, were you meant to go to your MIL's for the holidays? I know you don't celebrate, but she does, no?

Last edited:
Taxy this white chocolate cranberry fudge I made is so easy! I know you are concerned about food additives, it does use chocolate chips.....not sure if that is something you can/will eat, but maybe you could use an alternative. Sure hope Sterling feels better soon, were you meant to go to your MIL's for the holidays? I know you don't celebrate, but she does, no?
Most chocolate chips have soy lecithin and I'm only supposed to eat fermented soy. :rolleyes:

I found a microwave fudge recipe: http://www.cooks.com/recipe/46du4b5/dump-fudge-microwave.html. It was easy and it's good. I'm still waiting to see if it will firm up some more. It's just a smidgen soft for getting the pieces out of the pan without bending.

Yes, we were going to spend a few days at the mummy-in-law's place. Yes, she and number 1 son, who still lives at home, do celebrate Xmas.

I hope Stirling feels better soon too. He says he can't remember ever feeling so sick and I think he had whooping cough as a kid.

Well I'm sorry you are going to miss the family get together....I know a lot of folks are suffering from either the stomach flu or a nasty cold that's going around. It's a shame you have had to cancel all if your celebrations this year. Here's hoping 2014 will prove healthier for both of you.
Cheers :)

Cat and Carl are on the phone and apparently Carl left a gift under her nightstand before he went home.

Geez, these kids stay up late!

Good night and Merry Christmas!

MammaCat

I am having surgery the day after Christmas. Left wrist and
elbow. So I am making sure everything is finished. Canned
6 quarts of green beans this morning. Cooked my part of
Christmas diner except for the prime rib.

Wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas !!

Josie

Last edited:
Josie, I hope the surgery goes well and you are all healed quickly.

Thank you Somebunny. If Stirling still has vacation time when he is better, we will probably visit the mummy in law. Cheers to you too.

The temperature is starting to drop and I can feel it immediately. We have thick walls and double pane windows. The outside walls are cold to the touch, in spite of their thickness. So I had to push up the thermostat a bit, again. We have forced hot air and no moisture. So I think it is time to put a large pan of water on the back burner again. It really helps to heat up the apartment without having to push up the thermostat.

The Hallmark Movie channel has a continuous picture of a burning fireplace while Christmas hymns and songs play. I better get some sleep if I expect Santa to leave me any new toys. Spike is getting me a new office chair for my computer. He is trying to locate one that I like that he can order on line and pick up at the store. There is a Staples just a few minutes from where I live. So far the ones we have looked up don't have the option of store pickup. And he doesn't want to pay shipping charges. Can't say that I blame him. Will have to look at Office Max. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom