What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Geez, DC had all these December birthdays and look at all the new babies popping up. :) It must be a 50 year cycle.

OMG! I just told Kimber to "go lay down" and she did!
Things are starting to rub off on her!

Once I read on here that fruit flies can breed in the garbage disposal I hardly ever get them. I know for a fact that my husband had a habit of rinsing a dish and letting the food scraps go down the disposal without running it. Now I am much more diligent with letting it run a few seconds longer, making sure everything is ground up. I put baking soda and vinegar down it at least once a week, and also pour boiling water down the drain from time to time. Rarely do I get a fruit fly now. When we first moved in this house there was no disposal. It was so annoying as I was used to it. We got one within a week, and are on our third one. They last about 10 years for us.

I heard about putting ice cubes down it, but I'm always afraid they will damage the blade.

I have been sleeping a lot the past couple days and I'm feeling much better overall, but I know this thing has to run it's course. My SIL went to Med Express yesterday, but I haven't heard what they had to say. She doesn't take the time to get enough rest when she's sick. She owns her own business and went in to work on the 26th, even though they were closed.

...and also pour boiling water down the drain from time to time...

...I heard about putting ice cubes down it, but I'm always afraid they will damage the blade.

According to my plumber, if you have PVC pipes under the sink, you should not pour boiling water down the drain as the heat can soften the adhesive holding the joints together. When I drain cooked pasta, I first turn on the cold water full blast then pour the boiling water and pasta into the strainer.

My disposal directions suggests putting ice cubes in the disposal to help clean it.

Hmmm, well my plumber (dh) will just have to repair the pipes if the adhesive gets softened. LOL He does good work but he doesn't get paid well. I will be more careful about it in the future, and will give the ice cubes a try.

When I lived in California, as a kid, we put egg shells in the garbage disposal to clean it.

Garbage disposals aren't legal in Quebec. They put too much organic stuff into the waste water and the water treatment plants have to use more chemicals.

Now that's interesting.
Taxy, do you guys have landfills where they dump solid garbage? If it (garbage) doesn't go one place, it goes to another. Do you burn it?

When I lived in California, as a kid, we put egg shells in the garbage disposal to clean it.

Garbage disposals aren't legal in Quebec. They put too much organic stuff into the waste water and the water treatment plants have to use more chemicals.

They aren't legal here in Barrie either. Most communities around here have banned them for the exact reasons you have stated.

Now that's interesting.
Taxy, do you guys have landfills where they dump solid garbage? If it (garbage) doesn't go one place, it goes to another. Do you burn it?

We have green boxes for organics. They pick them up every week along with the blue box and the regular garbage. The contents of the green bins go to a special place at the landfill where it gets composted into mulch for the residents to pick up free during the spring and summer.

Yes, google that. I think it means you have stuff in your lungs and that you need to cough it out. Maybe someone here who knows medical stuff (PF, you there?) can chime in.

I hope you, MommaCat, and Lakisha feel better soon.

What is it with the sick this year? Everyone seems to be coming down with something.

Absolutely, Cat!!! You have to cough or you will get pneumonia, that you don;t want or you will spend New year's in the hospital. I know it hurts, but you need to do that!

We have green boxes for organics. They pick them up every week along with the blue box and the regular garbage. The contents of the green bins go to a special place at the landfill where it gets composted into mulch for the residents to pick up free during the spring and summer.

That makes sense.

Happy anniversary! That sounds like a good plan :)

Nice!! Have a wonderful dinner!

Happy 29th, PF and Shrek!!

Don't be so quick...
They are having a 2 for 1 sale on Le Royale with cheese.
Don't ask me how I know :angel:

4 for 1 sale would not tempt me...:rolleyes:

Happy Anniversary you guys!

Happy Anniversary PrincessF and Shrek.

Congratulations to my favourite Ogres! Enjoy your dinner.

Wow....happy 29th PF.

Oh, yes indeedy! Happy happy joy joy to the Princess & Ogre twosome.

Yes...congratulations on not killing him for nearly 3 decades! :LOL:

Too much work I've put into him.

Would never happen. She absolutely adores her Ogres. :A love match if there ever was any. angel:

What and train another one? No thanks!!!:ROFLMAO:

Thanks everyone! We are headed out for Mexican Food!

Back Later!

Somebunny!!!! I love the little guy! Congratulations!

Now that's interesting.
It depends on the city. My city has compostable collection for everyone who doesn't live in a condo or apartment. Montreal is phasing in compostable collection. I'm pretty sure that burning garbage is illegal.

I think the main concern about the garbage disposals isn't the environment, but the cost of the extra chemicals for water treatment.

4 for 1 sale would not tempt me...:rolleyes:

Too much work I've put into him.

What and train another one? No thanks!!!:ROFLMAO:

Thanks everyone! We are headed out for Mexican Food!

Back Later!

Somebunny!!!! I love the little guy! Congratulations!

We have a winner folks!
Most multi quotes in one post.
:LOL:

It depends on the city. My city has compostable collection for everyone who doesn't live in a condo or apartment. Montreal is phasing in compostable collection. I'm pretty sure that burning garbage is illegal.

I think the main concern about the garbage disposals isn't the environment, but the cost of the extra chemicals for water treatment.

I thought enzymes were supposed to do the same thing.
I don't really know a whole lot about this though, just what I hear.

You're slacking, Fi ;)

Right now I am thinking about what prompted me to start dinner so late. :wacko:
I better find a good movie.

I thought enzymes were supposed to do the same thing.
I don't really know a whole lot about this though, just what I hear.
I'm not sure I know what you mean by that. Enzymes to digest the organic matter in the water?

I don't know a lot about it either, but I know they say it costs more to process the sewage when there is extra organic matter from garbage disposals. I'm pretty sure it would be a bad idea to just dump that into the river, even if it was clean enough. Would probably cause something to reproduce out of balance.

Back
Top Bottom