What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Addie, they are the ones who actually live in England. So who are we to say that we are right and they are wrong?

Carol, I once read a book written by a person who was transported to England during WWII. It was all about his adventures in learning English, the British way. It was hilarious. When it came to the word "rubber", I must have giggled for the next couple of days every time I thought of it.

I was married to an Englishman, and it was a couple of months before I figured out what a nappy was. :angel:

Let us know how it works. I wouldn't think a pretzel stick would be strong enough to insert into a meatball without breaking.

If you bake them instead of frying, the outside will stay much softer. Thus the pretzel should be able to penetrate easily. Or you could just make a small hole for a starter. :angel:

OK, that's it. I just turned on all my INCANDESCENT light bulbs downstairs in an effort to generate more heat.
You won't be saying that in another year. Try to stay warm around a green bulb.

By the time I run out of incandescent light bulbs global warming will have kicked in and my apartment will have an ocean view! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

By the time I run out of incandescent light bulbs global warming will have kicked in and my apartment will have an ocean view! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Yes, I really need to stock up.
And 100 watt bulbs are getting all but impossible to find around here.
I'll go to fluorescent fixtures before I try those green bulbs again.

Yes, I really need to stock up.
And 100 watt bulbs are getting all but impossible to find around here.
I'll go to fluorescent fixtures before I try those green bulbs again.

I've stockpiled a bunch of incandescents of all different wattages. Will have to inventory the 100 watters.

Nice having another day off, got all my vacation laundry put away and the suitcases cleaned out. DH is on his own with his mountain of clothes.

. Then as you go farther north, the accents change and can be very difficult to understand.

I love the English folks dearly, but do we really speak the same language? :angel:

Spent an evening with a Scotsman some time ago.. it was hell in the beginning, but the more scotch whiskey I had the better I understood Alan.. maybe you soak in the language with the whiskey? :rolleyes:

Thank you all for your kind words about Papa's gift! I love this locket!

Papa called today, and he's in Constanta. Catina is listing 9 degrees to her port side, and the bilge pumps are running and he and the crew are trying to right her.

Catina is too old, I fear. She was built in 1929 and has had very many overhauls even to her keel. I asked Papa if I could say something to express an opinion of Catina, and he said it was now my place to do so from now on about everything!!

So I just bubbled out, "Papa, you really need a new boat. You are worrying Mamma and me to death when you're on her. I love you and I don't want anything to happen to you. You can salvage her engines and many parts of her, scrap the rest and get a better vessel. Your crew will appreciate it also, and their families, I'm sure."

He was very quiet, then he said, "You aren't finished. Go on."

So I did! I told him the wheelhouse windows leaked and with all the electronics in there, one nasty wave through a window would leave her dead in the water, except for her sails which weren't much help because when the wheelhouse was retrofitted, she lost two of her sails anyway. The rudder has always been too small, making her slow to turn even with the newer engines and her tracking system is so old she may as well have an abacus and a sextant which would be more accurate.

He listened, then he said, "You're right, Cat. Her time has come and gone. But you're going to help me build the new Catina this year. This one will be all yours."

I feel so sorry for him. He said he's keeping the crew on their full salary until they get back to fishing in the 2015 season, because they will help him also. I love the way Papa inspires loyalty. Most fishing vessels pay the crew upon how much they catch during the season, but Papa has always said, "It's not the crew's fault the captain of the boat picks a bad place to fish."

So Catina will be tugged to a dry dock and taken apart. It's very sad, but it has to be done. I'm doing some research now to see of specifications for a keel. Papa wants a larger vessel, perhaps 240 - 280 feet.

That is almost the size of a Navy destroyer or small missile boat. I wonder if one could find the hull and keel of one of these and refit it without the superstructure? Does the Navy sell these things? Does anyone know of this?

I have a lot of work to do!

With love,
~Cat

Cat, you have certainly taken on a big task. Just keep your sensible head on and remember the cost. I know you want Papa to have the best. But "more" is not always the best. My second husband was a commercial fisherman. So I know what your are undertaking. Good luck and do keep us informed of how it is all going and what length you decide on. BTW, how many men in the crew? :angel:

Cat, you have certainly taken on a big task. Just keep your sensible head on and remember the cost. I know you want Papa to have the best. But "more" is not always the best. My second husband was a commercial fisherman. So I know what your are undertaking. Good luck and do keep us informed of how it is all going and what length you decide on. BTW, how many men in the crew? :angel:

I just found a Russian website with demilitarized ships for sale but they are Russian. Uck! We would be better off salvaging the Andrea Doria.

Catina now:

Deck crew: 16 (rotation of 8 / 12 on, 12 off during peak tide)
Medical: 3
Galley/Laundry/Support: 4
Engineers/Drivers: 3 (1 is Papa)

Right now there are 26, but at one time was 28 but 2 retired last season and he won't hire another 2 until the 2015 season since there will be no 2014 season.

I'll need a budget from Papa, and we'll have to break it all down into costs per pieces. He'll need new electronics, GPS, everything in the boat from the galley down to the wiring, etc., excepting the engines. There will be contractors, permits, dry dock fees for both, inspections and all of this other stuff.

It is why I thought to find a keel and hull for sale rather than to build one. I see some of these but the superstructures will have to be taken out and refitted with the fishing deck and wheelhouse. We need to balance the quality with the costs, because Papa did say he wanted this one to last as long as this Catina did.

Now all this, college, and DA. We have one year to produce a miracle.

I think I liked being a little girl better sometimes!

With love,
~Cat

Yes! He's right around my neck just as his arms were in a hug.

How are you feeling, Laurie?

With love,
~Cat

Yes, Cat, yesterday and today have been very good days health wise. My gallbladder pain is low, chronic pain is managed and my cold is almost gone! Feels good to do things and not get fatigued in five minutes!

busy day...may have to come home for a nap in between store runs.

You take care of yourself your Ogreness, you may be royalty, but you are still human and need time to heal!

I'm watching Downton Abbey on Amazon Prime. Or at least I was... Yesterday the CC was working and today it's not.
Trying to understand what some of them are saying is like trying to get through one of Harry's posts :LOL:

We are only getting repeats of seasons 1-3 again :(

The Pirate was feeling well enough to go home for clean clothing. But what he left behind is cause for me to kill him when he comes back tomorrow. My kitchen is a disaster area. Sugar granules all over my counter. Spilled beef stew all over the stove. The micro looks like an explosion happened inside. Fortunately I use paper plates and bowls, so there weren't many dishes.

Now for his clothes. They are all over the place. And he left a stupid skate board here. What the heck that is for is beyond me. I am finding empty cigarette boxes all over the place. There are five waste baskets in this apartment. They are in plain site and two are within throwing distance for him when he is sitting in his chair. And on and on. I have never seen him leave a mess before. He is the one who comes in here and starts to clean all the things I have problems with. Now he is the problem. I know. He had the flu. But I refuse to accept that as an excuse. Right now the urge to kill is very strong. Hopefully, I will be calm when he shows up tomorrow. In the meantime, back to cleaning up after him. :angel:

I just found a Russian website with demilitarized ships for sale but they are Russian. Uck! We would be better off salvaging the Andrea Doria.

Catina now:

Deck crew: 16 (rotation of 8 / 12 on, 12 off during peak tide)
Medical: 3
Galley/Laundry/Support: 4
Engineers/Drivers: 3 (1 is Papa)

Right now there are 26, but at one time was 28 but 2 retired last season and he won't hire another 2 until the 2015 season since there will be no 2014 season.

I'll need a budget from Papa, and we'll have to break it all down into costs per pieces. He'll need new electronics, GPS, everything in the boat from the galley down to the wiring, etc., excepting the engines. There will be contractors, permits, dry dock fees for both, inspections and all of this other stuff.

It is why I thought to find a keel and hull for sale rather than to build one. I see some of these but the superstructures will have to be taken out and refitted with the fishing deck and wheelhouse. We need to balance the quality with the costs, because Papa did say he wanted this one to last as long as this Catina did.

Now all this, college, and DA. We have one year to produce a miracle.

I think I liked being a little girl better sometimes!

With love,
~Cat

That is quite a large crew. My husband usually sailed on the three member crew or a 12 member crew. Never anything larger. He served as engineer/deckhand. :angel:

The Pirate was feeling well enough to go home for clean clothing. But what he left behind is cause for me to kill him when he comes back tomorrow. My kitchen is a disaster area. Sugar granules all over my counter. Spilled beef stew all over the stove. The micro looks like an explosion happened inside. Fortunately I use paper plates and bowls, so there weren't many dishes.

Now for his clothes. They are all over the place. And he left a stupid skate board here. What the heck that is for is beyond me. I am finding empty cigarette boxes all over the place. There are five waste baskets in this apartment. They are in plain site and two are within throwing distance for him when he is sitting in his chair. And on and on. I have never seen him leave a mess before. He is the one who comes in here and starts to clean all the things I have problems with. Now he is the problem. I know. He had the flu. But I refuse to accept that as an excuse. Right now the urge to kill is very strong. Hopefully, I will be calm when he shows up tomorrow. In the meantime, back to cleaning up after him. :angel:

As I'm in a maritime mindset, I think if he did that in my lair, I'd be making a Pirate walk the plank! I hope you fuss at him!

With love,
~Cat

As I'm in a maritime mindset, I think if he did that in my lair, I'd be making a Pirate walk the plank! I hope you fuss at him!

With love,
~Cat

Oh he will hear from me good! I am surprised that he left such a mess. And here I was feeling bad for him because he was feeling so sick and worried about getting to work. He still has the flu. But I would rather wait on him hand and foot, than have to pick up after him when he tries to do everything himself. He thinks he is saving me work when he tried to do it himself. :angel:

That is quite a large crew. My husband usually sailed on the three member crew or a 12 member crew. Never anything larger. He served as engineer/deckhand. :angel:

She's a large vessel for a Black Sea fishing vessel, but she was converted to her status as a commercial fishing vessel in 1948. She was a luxury yacht, if you can believe that! She was beautiful inside!

I've seen all her records from when she was built in 1929. She's 203.9 feet long with a beam of 27.3 feet which made her very sleek and fast in her day as a luxury sailing yacht. Her hull was gutted for sleeping quarters, galley, support and medical cabin and the holds. She can hold up to 325,000 pounds of product in a series of 4 recirculating holding compartments without yawing although anything over that makes her become difficult to handle in rough seas. She's certified for up to around 400,000 pounds but Papa won't go near that with her.

Most Black Sea fishing vessels are the size of which you speak. Catina looks like a woolly mammoth in the middle of rabbits next to them. From our upstairs balcony in Constanta, we can see her very well in the harbor amongst them.

Papa is licensed for up to around a 300-foot boat, I think. Anything larger than that is too expensive for to be cost effective.

With love,
~Cat

Well...I made a wonderful cream of vegetable soup...as I mentioned before...I sorta take care of an elderly French lady down the street. Her son is there (he's a vegetarian) so I cooked some with the chicken, and some without.....Not too spicy for her tastes....and I made homemade biscuits to go with it. I should get full karma points. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom