What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just about ready to leave for the Health Connector office. Again. I did get a reply to my Facebook comment and sent them the information they wanted - and more. Their reply? Basically "OK, thanks. We've passed this on.". :glare: I think is will best be deal with by an in your face a face to face discussion.

Got back from my surgery follow-up appointment. Everything is perfect, I go for a baseline Dexa Scan on Monday. Back to work half days on Feb 3rd for a week and then I can return full time.

I may be making a minion cake for my neighbour's great-grandson.

I finished my niece's scarf. A month after Christmas and the day before her birthday. The only problem is she is working way up North where she could use it but I don't know how to get it to her before the weather is still bad.

I'm cooking dinner and wondering why my PS3 keeps not connecting to the internet until I reboot my router. Stupid thing.

At one time it was the hospitals that had nursing schools. It was a three year course.Today it is universities and colleges and it takes four years. More book learning, more diseases, more difficult surgeries, more difficult procedures. And the big one. More paper work and computer courses.

Any part of the medical field is more difficult to enter. To become a paramedic you have to go to EMS school first. That is basically learning first aid. Get a job as EMS and work for about one year. Then you can apply for paramedic school. That is any where of 18 months to 2.5 or 3 years. Then if you want to continue on to PA, you have to have so many years under your belt as an active paramedic and a BS or Masters degree. No wonder there is a shortage of nurses and doctors. :angel:

This isn't the case everywhere. The primary hospital system and the community college here teach LPNs and RNs; they can go on to get bachelor's, master's and PhDs in nursing at a university, but they don't have to. Nurses specialize like doctors do, so they don't have extensive training in every specialty.

Also, here you don't have to be an EMS or paramedic to become a PA. In fact, I don't understand that reasoning. Most PA jobs aren't in emergency, so why would that training and experience be a prerequisite?

The medical school where I used to work offers a Master of Physician Assistant program. You need a bachelor's degree to get in, but it doesn't have to be in a medical field.

Last edited:
This isn't the case everywhere. The primary hospital system and the community college here teach LPNs and RNs; they can go on to get bachelor's, master's and PhDs in nursing at a university, but they don't have to. Nurses specialize like doctors do, so they don't have extensive training in every specialty.

Also, here you don't have to be an EMS or paramedic to become a PA. In fact, I don't understand that reasoning. Most PA jobs aren't in emergency, so why would that training and experience be a prerequisite?

The medical school where I used to work offers a Master of Physician Assistant program. You need a bachelor's degree to get in, but it doesn't have to be in a medical field.

It's seems like the expected responsibilities of PA's varies from one state to the next. It woyld make sense that the requirements for degree programs would vary by region.

It's seems like the expected responsibilities of PA's varies from one state to the next. It woyld make sense that the requirements for degree programs would vary by region.

I agree. I just don't understand why emergency medicine would be the prerequisite. Medical and PA schools have been preparing for at least a decade for the "Silver Tsunami" of people getting older and needing specialized geriatric care, as well as more primary-care providers with health care reform, so it would make more sense to require primary care.

Edit: Actually, emergency experience is not required in Mass. and btw, all prospective PA students take the same national entrance exam. http://www.franklinpierce.edu/academics/gradstudies/programs_of_study/mpa_admission_reqs.htm

Last edited:
I agree. I just don't understand why emergency medicine would be the prerequisite. Medical and PA schools have been preparing for at least a decade for the "Silver Tsunami" of people getting older and needing specialized geriatric care, as well as more primary-care providers with health care reform, so it would make more sense to require primary care.

Edit: Actually, emergency experience is not required in Mass. and btw, all prospective PA students take the same national entrance exam. Master of Physician Assistant Studies Admission Requirements - Franklin Pierce University

The PA program is relatively new here in Massachusetts. Most PA's will never do surgery in the OR, but it is still a part of their training. Why? Because if they are working in the ER, you never know what is going to come through that door. The majority of PAs that my son knows and has met all over the country have had paramedic training and worked in the field prior to becoming PAs. The majority of them want to do ER work. They enjoy working with their adrenalin running on high. Sort of like the police and firefighters do.

Poo was elected as President of the National PA Society and served for two years. He is a graduate of Yale Medical School for PAs. And this past year he has helped write a new PA program for one of Boston's major medical hospital's training program. He has met with many board members of hospitals all over the country as to why they need PAs in the ER. A major shortage of doctors are already being felt all over the country.

Twice a month he goes up to Vermont to work for the weekend in the ER of a hospital that has nothing but PAs working there. They get interns from other hospitals to train in the ER under the PAs. They get patients with multiple compound fractures during ski season. Life and decisions are made every day there. All without a doctor present.

I for one would not want a PA to treat me that has not experienced or worked in Emergency Medicine prior to their training for PA program. :angel:

We have a nice little plaza with a bunch of stuff in close proximity, which was great in this horrid weather. Dropped off some stuff at Goodwill, got a paper notarized at the bank branch, got groceries, and picked up a bunch of Forever stamps at the PO before prices go up tomorrow.

I'm about to head to the health food store to get some groceries. I'll stop at the deli/bakery in the same little strip mall for some bagels.

I'm about to head to the health food store to get some groceries. I'll stop at the deli/bakery in the same little strip mall for some bagels.

We did the health food store yesterday. Got more kalamata rolls and cheese for my midday snack. I should do this more often, not just when I am stuck at home.

Got more shelf ingredients to stash for making Thai curries and lots more of the broccoletta. That stuff is fantastic. They are printing out the kale salad recipe for me so I can make it at home. $8.99 a pound is a little steep.

I also got the recipe for the Apple Cider Vinegar Cocktail. I'm going to be making that by the gallon. Love that stuff.

I'm home and I have put away most of the groceries.

I was going to get some frozen, organic, green, red, and yellow sliced bell peppers. Then I looked carefully at the label. Packaged in Ontario, produce of China. I put them back. I don't trust the organic certification from China and besides, those peppers have too many air miles for something that grows just fine here. Oh well, it would have been handy. I guess I'll just have to freeze some myself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom