What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a gift cert.($15) from Traders Joe's and finally got to go to one yesterday for the first time. My gosh, it was so crowded (it was 10:30 on a Sunday morning) you could hardly move through the place. I ended up buying some hand soap, moisturizing lotion, paper thin crackers and crumpets and some candy bars for the grand kids. I would love to go there some time (when it is not so crowded and really have a good look around.

Andy, thanks so much for the thread, can't wait to read them all. When we got to our sons house he showed me a bag of their frozen Garlic French Fries, he said they buy them all the time. I sure wish we had a Trader Joe's close to us.

I collect bones. Bones and skin and bodily fluids. Whenever I come across some, I bag them and freeze them.

The other day I noticed they were taking over both freezers so I leapt into action this morning. I gathered my 20-quart stockpot and cleaned all the bagged parts out of both freezers. The pot is on the burner with parts and water. The parts rise about 6 inches above the top of the pot. I'm hoping things will settle down a bit when they defrost so I can add aromatics.

I'm looking forward to a big load of delicious chicken stock at the end of the day.

I only started collecting bones and skeletons in the last year. Homemade stock is the best. I only do chix stock. Rarely do I have anything else with bones in it, well a ham bone, that goes in its own soup.

Milk. I keep looking at the carton of milk in the frig and it puzzles me.

Finally this morning, before coffee even, I figured it out.

The expiration date printed is February 30. :huh: :ohmy: :wacko:

I'm doing soup today too. Its french onion here though. I made a pile of Bolas's onion goop and I'll do the beef stock today. I have some bones in the freezer that should make some lovely soup.

I'm doing soup today too. Its french onion here though. I made a pile of Bolas's onion goop and I'll do the beef stock today. I have some bones in the freezer that should make some lovely soup.
Thanks for the reminder about Boas's onion goop. I gotta make some of that.

SO had a fall last night and injured her shoulder. I know it's bad because she called the Dr. for an appointment and called in sick to work. I'll take her to see the Dr. @ 1:30. I hope she didn't do any serious damage that requires surgery.

I had a fall Saturday. I'm lucky I didn't rip a finger or two off, as I grabbed for a low privacy type wood fence as I was going down. Fortunately I hit the ground before my fingers could wedge in the V. I hate winter. This morning the light dusting was just enough to cover and hide the thick ice areas left over from last week's thaw. I've been learning to tap dance most of the day.

Soup. It might be what's for dinner... if I get out. I haven't made chicken soup in a while and I'm due.

I could have used ice skates this morning when I took out the trash and recycle. We shovel a path through the snow from the sidewalk out front across the yard to the deck in back so we can take out the trash. That path is a sheet of ice. I'm lucky I didn't hit the deck. I was walking like a 99 year-old man, taking 3 inch steps.

I am so tired of this winter.

Hey Andy, why don't you do a pictorial on making stock?
With all the questions on making your own, it would be nice to refer to.

Kinda late to do a pictorial. The pot's already simmering away. I'll keep that in mind for the next time.

Actually, I have a 28 page stock making tutorial I clipped from eGullet that requires 4 days. I haven't really followed that.

Last edited:
SO had a fall last night and injured her shoulder. I know it's bad because she called the Dr. for an appointment and called in sick to work. I'll take her to see the Dr. @ 1:30. I hope she didn't do any serious damage that requires surgery.
Oh dear. I hope it's just a bad bruise.

I had a fall Saturday. I'm lucky I didn't rip a finger or two off, as I grabbed for a low privacy type wood fence as I was going down. Fortunately I hit the ground before my fingers could wedge in the V. I hate winter. This morning the light dusting was just enough to cover and hide the thick ice areas left over from last week's thaw. I've been learning to tap dance most of the day.

Soup. It might be what's for dinner... if I get out. I haven't made chicken soup in a while and I'm due.
:eek: I hope you aren't too bruised.

Slippery surfaces is why I make myself wear gloves in winter. I don't want to fall down with my hands in my pockets. I'm sure I would break my wrist or hand. I also don't want to have a naked hand landing on the grit and salt that is put out to improve traction.

Today I crossed s/thing off my bucket list! Much like mastering setting zippers in clothing, this has been something I've always wanted to learn how to do (I learned to knit before I was six years old). Ever since I was given a pair of white mittens as a child (knit by a relative in Sweden), I have always wanted to learn how to knit using what I later learned was the "twined knitting" method. I have made numerous sweaters carrying two or more colors horizontally, and have woven rugs using this method, but have never tried twined knitting because, quite frankly, the instructions and diagrams in the one book I have on the technique were daunting. I found a couple of YouTube videos today that showed the technique. I watched each 2-3 times without sound and grabbed my knitting needles. It is so flipping EASY! (Either that, or it is easy for this lefty who knits and holds her yarn unlike most people). I'm going to practice a bit more and then I'm going to tackle a pair of mittens like the ones I had as a child.

Twined Knitting:

DROPS Tutorial Videos ~ DROPS Design

I guess I shouldn't cross it off my bucket list until I actually make something besides a mug "warmer."

Back
Top Bottom