What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not much going on right now. The usual Saturday morning stuff. Filled SO's and my pill cases for the week, had breakfast, cleaned up around the kitchen.

Now I'm sitting here waiting to leave for my daughter's home. My two daughters and I, along with my grandson, are going to make the rounds of the Armenian grocery/bakery stores. They're all located withing a mile or two about a half hour away from DD's house. We like to pick up a bunch of goodies that are difficult or impossible to get elsewhere.
You are lucky to have those Armenian stores. There aren't any Scandinavian stores on the Island of Montreal except Ikea, and their limited selection usually has all kinds of weird additives.

I know that other Danes buy meat from Polish butchers. I don't know if the Poles use the same cuts as Danes or if they just understand them. I know there are some Polish butchers in Montreal, but that's not convenient. Your mention of Armenian stores got me looking for Polish butchers in my neighbourhood and it seems that there are some. Surprise, surprise. So, thank you Andy.

Absolutely nothing. I need to start on the craft room mucking-out next.

We got some water in the basement today, not much, but enough to cause concern. We called our guys, and they came over and inspected. We thought it might be the water heater, but it turned out that water had backed up into the furnace from a plugged hose. If it doesn't dry out, we're looking at a new furnace. It's over 20 years old, so not a huge surprise.

Everything's falling apart at once! The DirecTv receiver in the family room is officially dead (I told DTV that, but they sent me a new card to put in anyway, it didn't work) so we get a couple new receivers and installation on Tuesday as we were eligible for an upgrade. We've been with DTV for 20 years, so they waived a bunch of fees and gave me a $15/month discount for 6 months.

Last edited:
How's your SO's shoulder doing, Andy? I was thinking about her this morning and said a little prayer for healing. I know how badly shoulder injuries of any kind can be, but a break is the worst.

You are lucky to have those Armenian stores.

...Your mention of Armenian stores got me looking for Polish butchers in my neighbourhood and it seems that there are some. Surprise, surprise. So, thank you Andy.

Laurie, SO's shoulder is coming along. She says it hurts less every day. While I was out this afternoon, she made a batch of whoopie pies and now she's hurting a little from overdoing it.

TL, I'm glad you found the butchers. That will be a lot more convenient.

I am sitting here worried sick about my daughter. She called yesterday and told me she was having some very serious pain in her abdomen. We were both thinking the same thing, but afraid to say it. She went to the doctor yesterday, couldn't find anything. So they scheduled her for a CAT scan first thing this morning. She has infected diverticulitis. Right now she is on her way to go back to the hospital for admittance. They will be giving her two bags of antibiotics and some fluids. Hopefully she will be home by tomorrow. She can't take any of her usual medicines at this time. That means the schedule for her chemo will be screwed up. And that screws up the schedule for the party bash she has planned. It is too late to cancel it and reschedule.

I am afraid the chemo is beginning to affect her ability to ward off other side problems and her resistance. But at least our worst worries were not realized. The cancer has not spread. :angel:

Laurie, SO's shoulder is coming along. She says it hurts less every day. While I was out this afternoon, she made a batch of whoopie pies and now she's hurting a little from overdoing it.

TL, I'm glad you found the butchers. That will be a lot more convenient.
Good to hear that your Mrs is doing better Andy. I don't know what a whoopie pie is but my minds visual has me laughing by butt off.:ROFLMAO:

I am sitting here worried sick about my daughter. She called yesterday and told me she was having some very serious pain in her abdomen. We were both thinking the same thing, but afraid to say it. She went to the doctor yesterday, couldn't find anything. So they scheduled her for a CAT scan first thing this morning. She has infected diverticulitis. Right now she is on her way to go back to the hospital for admittance. They will be giving her two bags of antibiotics and some fluids. Hopefully she will be home by tomorrow. She can't take any of her usual medicines at this time. That means the schedule for her chemo will be screwed up. And that screws up the schedule for the party bash she has planned. It is too late to cancel it and reschedule.

I am afraid the chemo is beginning to affect her ability to ward off other side problems and her resistance. But at least our worst worries were not realized. The cancer has not spread. :angel:
Oh-dear. Positive thoughts sent your daughter's way...Big Hugs from the girls (although, I don't know if they've mastered hugs...they send them anyway.)

Addie, please add my hugs and prayers for you and your daughter to the list. I have had diverticulitis and it can be very painful. And with all her other issues she does not need this.

Addie, sorry your daughter is having another rough patch. Hope the infection clears up and she's fine real soon.

Also, Whoopie pies are more than a "New England thing". They managed to migrate to PA a while back. Himself's cousins love them. Every time there is a family gathering his cousin makes all varieties of Whoopie pies, not just chocolate. I don't care if they're homemade or what, I'm still not a fan.

Addie, sorry your daughter is having another rough patch. Hope the infection clears up and she's fine real soon.

Also, Whoopie pies are more than a "New England thing". They managed to migrate to PA a while back. Himself's cousins love them. Every time there is a family gathering his cousin makes all varieties of Whoopie pies, not just chocolate. I don't care if they're homemade or what, I'm still not a fan.

Thank you all for your kind words and support. Right now I need a really good cry, but I have one of my sons here and I don't want him to see me. So I will put it off for now. We have been living with this demon for two years now and don't even have the hope that she will be even cured. So when something like this happens, your first thought is that the cancer has spread. We missed the bullet again this time. But how many times are we going to get lucky. But I am hanging in there. Thank you all so much. :angel:

Addie,

thinking of you and sending a bunch of hugs over the ocean!

We wanted to go out for an full english breakfast today (it's 10am here) but it's impossible to find that here in Hannover... there is just one pub that serves an all-day-breakfast, but they open at 12.... :ermm:

so no baked beans, no hash browns, no bacon and no sausages.. will do some scrambled eggs I think, and I could have bought bacon but forgot about it..

Thank you all for your kind words and support. Right now I need a really good cry, but I have one of my sons here and I don't want him to see me. So I will put it off for now. We have been living with this demon for two years now and don't even have the hope that she will be even cured. So when something like this happens, your first thought is that the cancer has spread. We missed the bullet again this time. But how many times are we going to get lucky. But I am hanging in there. Thank you all so much. :angel:

Addie, love and hugs to you and your daughter.:angel:

I am annoyed with my small chest freezer. I saw Ina Garten's recipe for baked shrimp cocktail, and I just KNOW I have some frozen shrimp in there somewhere. I hauled a bunch of stuff out of the freezer and put it in a big cooler, and could not find any shrimp. I didn't reach the bottom of the freezer as my (gloved) hands got very cold. Then had to repack everything so the lid would shut. It may be time to get an upright freezer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom