What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I like having a regular cell phone myself. I miss some of my apps, and definitely miss having a good camera always on me, but I was never one to use the phone for the internet unless I was looking up a phone number.

Do you have a Radio Shack by you, Bea? If I recall they offer all the services, at least around here, so it wouldn't be like walking into a Verizon or At&t. They will be more objective in their recommendation.

I just got back from the pool after doing another 450 meters (final correct distance of 30 x 15 meter lengths). I was in a bit of pain so TB drove me on his day off which was nice... he got a chai latte and a chance to play on his laptop while waiting.

I am now preparing for our neighbour's 9 year old daughter to come over and spend a few hours while her Mom works. It is spring break for the next two weeks and I will have her Mondays and Wednesdays. She loves Monkey and Violet so that is great!

I will be making a batch of fondant for the cake I am doing for the weekend. It's based on the movie "Frozen" so I need to make a whole pile of snowballs as the tier borders and a few characters which need to be done ahead of time.

I'm sure your neighbor is so appreciative of you watching her little one, LP! They are lucky to have you right next door. :) Have fun making your cake, looking forward to seeing pics.

I impulse bought a 6 lb. box of local strawberries from a road stand on my way back from grocery shopping yesterday. :ohmy: :ermm: So, I'm taking a break now from washing, and trimming them. They're delicious!

They'll go quick. I'll keep a good amount, give some away, and freeze some for whatever. :yum:

My cable company keeps trying to get me to have a landline phone.

I've been just fine with just my Tracphone. I don't place or receive many calls, and it works when the power is out, like during a hurricane.

Thanks for all of the input.

I will give it a few days before I make a final decision. I have been thinking about this and I think the only feature that I might use on a modern phone is the camera, if I'm in an auto accident.

In the end I will probably keep my "burner" and just cancel the landline phone. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thanks again!

We don't worry about our cable landline going out because we still have the cell phones. We have talked about getting rid of it. It's in a triple play with our TV and internet. Actually, I don't see him doing that. He is very old school. He does not text at all. If he gets a voice mail he give his cell phone to me to pick up the message. It's only been recently that he learned how to use an ATM. Teaching him that one was a big mistake!

We keep an old landline that doesn't even have dial tone. It works when the power is off. Bell runs just enough current into their plugs to run an old fashioned phone. Cell phones can run out of power. Yes, we have car chargers.

We have car chargers too. One time there was a big power outage. Everyone showed up at a restaurant in the next town that wasn't effected. People were plugging their cell phones into the restaurant's electrical outlets.

I'm trying to pry my rather large butt outta this chair and get away from the computer so I can go run some errands and enjoy the sunshine! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

We keep talking about getting rid of our land line, but never do it. We each have a cell phone and have the land line (which has a total of 7 phones attached to it, one being wired in case of a power failure which almost never happens here.

On top of that, we have 3 PC's (one is a server) and 3 laptops that are all being used. My laptop is a tablet/notebook combo (Asus Taichi).

So, we are pretty much electronic junkies! :LOL:

I'm up early with sciatica, but took a pain med and did my exercise to relieve it and will hopefully go back to bed for another hour. I have my trusty furbabies asleep in my office with me of course.

Fret not, Auntie -- a body needs ballast on a windy Spring day.

Thanks, Lizzie, I needed both a good laugh and some encouragement about getting my "large butt" moving! :LOL:

And on that note, I am off to Walmart to pick up a copy of the movie "Frozen" (strictly for reference purposes for my cake of course ;))

Last edited:
If you should choose to give up your land line, just make sure you can reach 911. The 911 call shouldn't take more than 10 seconds for them to answer and collect your name and address, plus which service you need. Fire, police, EMS. And make sure you don't use up all your minutes a month. Keep some free for "just in case." :angel:

If you should choose to give up your land line, just make sure you can reach 911. The 911 call shouldn't take more than 10 seconds for them to answer and collect your name and address, plus which service you need. Fire, police, EMS. And make sure you don't use up all your minutes a month. Keep some free for "just in case." :angel:

I was told that a cell phone can dial 911 even if it is old and you are no longer with that company. It's built in.

I was told that a cell phone can dial 911 even if it is old and you are no longer with that company. It's built in.

This is true. However, with a cell phone, you are not guaranteed which 911 you will reach. If you live in town A but you're close to a cell tower in town B, you could end up getting town B's police department.

This is true. However, with a cell phone, you are not guaranteed which 911 you will reach. If you live in town A but you're close to a cell tower in town B, you could end up getting town B's police department.

True Andy. Also in this building I am on the north side and my calls go through with no problems. But for the folks who live on the south side, they often have go to the first floor to use their phones. The walls are very thick in this building. And we have a tower just up the street from where I live.

Also Andy, in this state, your 911 calls go to the nearest State Police Barracks. For me, it is the barracks in Medford. And then they connect you to your town emergency services. But your information does show up on their screen just in case you are incoherent. Trust me I know. One call I was giving them an address that I lived at more than 40 years ago. Fortunately they understood the words 'heart attack.' :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom