What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is true. However, with a cell phone, you are not guaranteed which 911 you will reach. If you live in town A but you're close to a cell tower in town B, you could end up getting town B's police department.

That's a good thing, isn't it?
I would just as soon reach the closest operator to where I happen to be.

The advantage of calling 911 on a landline over calling with a cell is that with the landline they know what your address is, without having to tell them. This could be important if the call is interrupted or you pass out.

The advantage of calling 911 on a landline over calling with a cell is that with the landline they know what your address is, without having to tell them. This could be important if the call is interrupted or you pass out.

They can determine your location from a cell phone but it takes quite a bit longer. If you have a smart phone that has GPS it is almost instant if you have it enabled. If it's a regular cell phone they would have to triangulate your position which can take several minutes. We had a presentation by our local EMS and they really recommend smart phones with GPS if you are going to get rid of land lines.

Where I live the 911 center serves the entire county and they dispatch the appropriate resource depending on where the caller is located. I am a little concerned about the loss of the caller ID function if I give up the landline.

I wonder what Amish people worry about. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Where I live the 911 center serves the entire county and they dispatch the appropriate resource depending on where the caller is located. I am a little concerned about the loss of the caller ID function if I give up the landline.

I wonder what Amish people worry about. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Cell phones have caller ID too. Any time you get a call from a number stored in your cell phone, the name will appear on your screen. If a call comes from a number you don't have stored, your screen will show the calling number.

No. Another town's cops won't respond outside their borders.

They wouldn't have to respond outside their borders.
If I am dialing 911 in their area, that's who I want to respond. The nearest emergency crew.

We must be crossing something up here. Just because I use my cell phone as a home phone doesn't mean I want 911 to associate an emergency call with my home address. Not if I'm not there.
The same as the 911 service that came with my new Jeep follows me around no matter where I drive. If I drive to Boston and have to press the button under my mirror that says 911, I don't want it to ring an operator in Erie. I want it to find the nearest tower and the closest 911 operator.

If I am dialing 911 in their area, that's who I want to respond. The nearest emergency crew.

We must be crossing something up here. Just because I use my cell phone as a home phone doesn't mean I want 911 to associate an emergency call with my home address. Not if I'm not there.
The same as the 911 service that came with my new Jeep follows me around no matter where I drive. If I drive to Boston and have to press the button under my mirror that says 911, I don't want it to ring an operator in Erie. I want it to find the nearest tower and the closest 911 operator.

Agreed, but the issue was using you cell as a home phone in place of the land line. My statement assumed you would be placing the call from your home. I know, not always the case.

pac - read my last post. It depends where you and your cell phone are at the time the call is placed. You don't have to be at home.

Agreed, but the issue was using you cell as a home phone in place of the land line. My statement assumed you would be placing the call from your home. I know, not always the case.

ahh, I'm with you now.
You mean if you live close to a tower located in another jursidiction. True, that could be a problem, but I'll bet it's one they already encounter and have a workaround for. And cell phones can be traced anyway. Just leave it turned on. The same as you are supposed todo with a landline.

But yes, nothing is perfect. I guess the prudent thing would be to program your 911 operator into your speed dial if you live on top of another city's tower.

I'm going "on topic for a second" :LOL:

I am enjoying a time without my sciatica (or a muscle pull) not acting up and getting some stuff done. I find if I sit too long it triggers it, and if I work too long I get too tired, so I am trying to do 20 mins of one thing then another and it is working. Sleeping is not a problem - I just lay on my other side and am fine.

So, I am making TB's sandwiches for work tomorrow (standing), filling my pill packs for the week (sitting), transferring laundry (bending), and catching up on DC (sitting in a different chair). So far it is working very well.

Yes, I know, another thing wrong with me, but actually this is one of the ones I deal with regularly. I think it was triggered by the pool walking so I am skipping tomorrow to give myself a rest. I will go back Friday.

I will (hopefully) say goodnight now. :)

Morning...giving myself heartburn drinking pineapple juice with my medications. I think I will stick with the mango...

Pineapple juice is only good with vodka and blue curacoa :yum:

I'm playing around with my door locks again. For some reason I only have one key that works in all my locks. Whenever they make a new key it will only work in the lock I replaced a few months ago, not the other doors. Weird.

Pineapple juice is only good with vodka and blue curacoa :yum:

I'm playing around with my door locks again. For some reason I only have one key that works in all my locks. Whenever they make a new key it will only work in the lock I replaced a few months ago, not the other doors. Weird.

Is it a pin thing?

Master keys work different pins within the lock than a single lock key, take a look.

How Does a Master Key Work? | AIM Lock & Safe

We have our cell phones set up so if one of our contacts calls, their picture appears.

I never call 911. There have been too many screw ups that the police/ambulance has gone to the wrong address and caused a delay in service. I call the local police department direct and request Rescue 8 if I need an ambulance. Luckily I don't need them very often.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom