What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm working on tax returns. Right now I'm letting my desktop computer rest. I turned it off 'cause it won't boot. I'll give it another try in 10 minutes. I just don't need this in tax season. The printer is hooked up to that computer. I wonder if there is a way to put the printer on the network without going through a computer.

I'm working on tax returns. Right now I'm letting my desktop computer rest. I turned it off 'cause it won't boot. I'll give it another try in 10 minutes. I just don't need this in tax season. The printer is hooked up to that computer. I wonder if there is a way to put the printer on the network without going through a computer.

I think TB did that with my printer. If you need help email or PM me and I will get him in touch with you.

Just finished and e-filed the fed and state taxes. The wonders of modern technology!

You can if the printer has a network card or is wifi-capable; USB network cards are available. My printer has built-in wifi and came with its own email address, so I can email documents to it from my tablet, or any computer, actually.

I think TB did that with my printer. If you need help email or PM me and I will get him in touch with you.
Thanks LP, but Stirling will deal with it. He's been a computer geek since before I met him in 1984 and still works in computers ;)
You can if the printer has a network card or is wifi-capable. My printer has built-in wifi and came with its own email address, so I can email documents to it from my tablet, or any computer, actually.
That's really cool GG. No, that printer isn't wifi-capable. It's an old HP, duplexing laser printer, that we bought in 1996. If Stirling can't get my desktop computer working again, I might see if there is something I can connect to the printer to make it wireless. It didn't come with USB, but I think there is some sort of adapter or special cable added to it. I could just connect my laptop, but that's a nuisance.

Yeah, my printer is wi-fi. I can even sit outside on the bench in the green space beside our unit and print out recipes and patterns to my heart's content! :LOL:

Stirling had a look at it. He took the hard drive out of the computer and tested in a USB hard drive holder on a different computer. It's dead. Dang! Now I will have to phone the best local computer store and see if they have anyone who can resurrect my data. Phooey.

Stirling had a look at it. He took the hard drive out of the computer and tested in a USB hard drive holder on a different computer. It's dead. Dang! Now I will have to phone the best local computer store and see if they have anyone who can resurrect my data. Phooey.

You don't have a backup? :ohmy: You might want to look into an online backup service. I use Backblaze on the recommendation of a friend who has more than 15 years of website and graphic design and business data to keep up with. For about $60 a year, it constantly backs up all my data on their server in an encrypted file. Love it.

Last edited:
You don't have a backup? :ohmy: You might want to look into an online backup service. I use Backblaze on the recommendation of a friend who has more than 15 years of website and graphic design and business data to keep up with. For about $60 a year, it constantly backs up all my data on their server in an encrypted file. Love it.
I've been lax in backing up. If I use an online backup service, it has to be Canadian. I used to be pretty good about backing stuff up. :rolleyes:

Aw, geez. Don't get me stared. Darn it, too late.

The other day a new page came up in my foxfire. It said that McAfee was turned off and that I had to update to 2014 version, click here.

I was alarmed so I clicked and ended up with RegClean Pro as a recommended scan. I ended up waiting hours, only to find out it had stopped running.

By then, I realized that I'd been had. Removal of the program did not remove everything and it came up again and again.

To make matters worse, I found a site that promised that it would clean up the mess and let their programs run.

After that, I found that my purchased games did not work beyond the trial period.

I tried to System Restore to where my games knew that I owned them, only to find that my System Restore is now broken.

I've got my games back, only having to re-buy one for $10, but my System Restore is still broken.

If I hadn't panicked and started clicking, I'd have realized that McAfee would have automatically updated as usual, buy I'm just not used to being lied to.

Thanks for letting me rant!

Last edited:
I've been lax in backing up. If I use an online backup service, it has to be Canadian. I used to be pretty good about backing stuff up. :rolleyes:

I was pretty slack, too, which is why I was so happy to find a good automatic, online service.

Why do you have to use a Canadian service? Are there any?

We got DH's MRI results from his flip-flop stairs mishap, he has a torn meniscus, but nothing broken. He has an appointment with a surgeon in May.

I went ahead and got a little Aroma rice cooker, super cheap from Amazon, and was anxious to try it. Wouldn't you know, I'm almost out of rice. Cooked up the half cup of rice that I found, and the machine did a great job even though the directions were for 3/4 cup of rice, and I had to guess at the water amount.

Last edited:
I was pretty slack, too, which is why I was so happy to find a good automatic, online service.

Why do you have to use a Canadian service? Are there any?
Because I have client data on my computer. Yes, it's encrypted. It could be in a country other than Canada, but they would have to have very strict laws about releasing data.

I looked into finding a Canadian site a while back. I don't remember what the problem was. Maybe they were outrageously expensive. I should check again. Thanks for the nudge. Maybe they had all their servers in one place.

Waiting for the tater tots to cook so I can try the meatloaf Shrek made with burger and hot Italian sausage.

I received a bottle of Lilac parfum and have it spritzed on my wrists...loving the the memories that are coming back.

Thanks, Taxy. I thought so too. Right now, everything works except the System Recovery. I think I'll just keep my fingers crossed that I won't need to use it.

Today was my big shopping day for the month. I got a gorgeous Porterhouse steak. I'm not all that hungry, so I divided it into a strip steak and a pretty filet.

I'm really just tired from all the shopping. I did get everything put away and stored properly. I crashed and had a good nap. I think I'll just have the other half of a liverwurst sandwich and tackle all the new goodies tomorrow.

Last edited:
Got a new book from the library, another Cheese Shop Mystery. I plan on settling down with the book, a bit of wine, and a half-bagel (multi-grain) toasted and schmeared with cream cheese that has walnut bits and honey mixed in. Better get busy mixing my cream cheese, huh?

Dawg, good to hear that Mr. Dawg has an appt. soon, and that nothing is broken. Ouch, it hurts just to think about it.

CG, that sounds like my kind of evening, in fact, that's what I'm headed for now....a snack and a bit of wine, and the latest episode of Grey's Anatomy. :)

Princess....Shrek made a meatloaf? I'm looking forward to hearing about this! :)

Good night, everyone. It's only 10PM here right now, but I am beat after a long day. :ermm::)

Princess....Shrek made a meatloaf? I'm looking forward to hearing about this! :)

Yes! It was quite good, he didn't mess with spices or weird ingredients. Just a straight up meatloaf, I enjoyed it.

Over spicing and adding in things I've told him I don't like, usually ruins a meal for me.

That's OK Andy. We who have never met you still think you're pretty AND awesome. ;)

I'm listening to baseball! :w00t: In spite of raining out in Oakland all day and then some, the clouds parted and the sun came out about an hour before the game started. That's because I've heard it mentioned that baseball is the only game created by God. Hope he's an Indians fan. :angel:

Hmmm I thought it was Noah.

Back
Top Bottom