What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:angel: One for hubby. Cara, that is great news. Before you know it, he will be home and you can spoil him with good home cooked food. It is so nice when you have such important good news to share. Thank you. :angel:

I'm catching up on things around here. I've been away from the computer for a week as I have a new team at work and its taken all my energy to get things rocking and rolling the way I like them. I get home and crash!

So, got 3 days off and time to poke around and hear all your news.

I just finished lunch. A large amount of eggs goldenrod made with three eggs, asparagus, corn and served on two pieces of white bread toast... and two pieces of wheat toast.
Nappytime...

Just finished spreading Home Defense Max around the foundation to keep the little ants out of the kitchen all summer long. The rain that's due later today will soak it into the soil so I don't have to hook up the hose.

I got all the laundry done yesterday and a few other chores so today is a "me" day. I am going to actually work IN my craft studio instead of working on getting it in order. First up, a surprise for TB and then shortening curtains for the living and dining rooms. I haven't sewn for so long I am really looking forward to it! :)

I actually kept my appointment with my foot doctor. Toenails are in good shape, and he removed the start of a callous on the side of my foot.

I took my needlework with me and was doing it while he was working on me. We had a nice long conversation about needlework and other handcrafts that our grandmothers did and how it is disappearing. He used to have a lot of patients that brought their work with them. Now I am the only one he has seen in a long time doing it. I always have to have something in my hand to work on. Whether it be knitting, crocheting or needlework. :angel:

Heading out soon to pick up my grandson from school. SO has hidden some eggs for him to find as part of the Easter experience. He'll have more eggs to find tomorrow followed by the Easter Day activities.

Heading out soon to pick up my grandson from school. SO has hidden some eggs for him to find as part of the Easter experience. He'll have more eggs to find tomorrow followed by the Easter Day activities.

Andy, are these real cooked eggs or the plastic ones with a small prize inside?

More than 40 years ago I used to work in Charlestown for the police department. There was a candy factory there called Schrafft's. They had a store separate from the factory. I went there and spent about thirty dollars on candy for Poo's Easter basket. He pigged out and around ten o'clock I had to take him to the Relief Station. (our only access at the time to medical care in an emergency.) The diagnosis was very simple. Easteritis. He wasn't the only kid that was there that day with the same ailment. Lesson learned. For both of us. He never developed a sweet tooth and couldn't care less about Easter. And I never went overboard again with the candy treats. :angel:

Addie, they are plastic eggs.

I remember the Schrafft's factory - loved Necco Wafers. 20 years ago I was at that building for a business meeting. It had been converted over to office space for some time. Any Necco candies still being made are made at a different location.

Addie, they are plastic eggs.

I remember the Schrafft's factory - loved Necco Wafers. 20 years ago I was at that building for a business meeting. It had been converted over to office space for some time. Any Necco candies still being made are made at a different location.

I worked in that building after it was converted. In the heat of the summer even though there was AC, you could smell the chocolate. I had a couple of aunts that were chocolate dippers there.

Necco Wafers can now be found in Revere. The Factory is a "state of the art" one and they hold tours. It is located not to far from where I live. I go by it all the time. A really nice looking building. :angel:

Last edited:
Oh Shame!

I BOUGHT hot cross buns for Friday! Mother will be spinning in her grave at the thought of hot X buns not made at home. Couldn't be bothered after the mammoth bake for last weekend's bake sale for Help For Heroes.

Do you have hot cross buns on Good Friday in the USA and elsewhere? They're sweet yeast buns with currants, candied citrus peel and spice and a pastry cross on the top, except I cheat and just cut a cross on the tops. I like them toasted and buttered but they are rather good (but un-traditional) with Cheshire cheese.

Must remember to get some fish for GF too. I'm not religious. I just like traditions.​

...Do you have hot cross buns on Good Friday in the USA and elsewhere? They're sweet yeast buns with currants, candied citrus peel and spice and a pastry cross on the top, except I cheat and just cut a cross on the tops. I like them toasted and buttered but they are rather good (but un-traditional) with Cheshire cheese.

Must remember to get some fish for GF too. I'm not religious. I just like traditions.​

We do have HC buns here. Not sure how popular they still are. I used to see them in the house as a chld around Easter but not lately.

I BOUGHT hot cross buns for Friday! Mother will be spinning in her grave at the thought of hot X buns not made at home. Couldn't be bothered after the mammoth bake for last weekend's bake sale for Help For Heroes.

Do you have hot cross buns on Good Friday in the USA and elsewhere? They're sweet yeast buns with currants, candied citrus peel and spice and a pastry cross on the top, except I cheat and just cut a cross on the tops. I like them toasted and buttered but they are rather good (but un-traditional) with Cheshire cheese.

We still have a couple of bakeries that make real hot cross buns and a few that make cinnamon raisin buns that resemble hot cross buns, it is a fading tradition.

We also still have a few bakeries that make the egg dolls, another fading tradition.

Easter Bread Dolls (Primorski Uskrsne Bebe) | The Suburban Peasant

I like to have a butter lamb on the table for Easter and have fond memories of a white coconut cake shaped like a lamb, I still have the lamb cake mold on a shelf in my kitchen.

These days my best meals are in my memory! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

We have a lot of Italians in my area that make the hot cross buns and the bakeries in this area still make the dolls. They also make a Pizzagania Pie. The Pirate's MIL used to make then every year and would make a small one for me. Easter is still a very big day in my area of Boston. When I stopped doing all the trimmings of the holiday, my oldest daughter took it over. Now her two children have grown up and with being sick, she too has stopped making the day special for her family. She, her husband and her daughter are going to her sisters-in-law for the day. All the fixings will be there, and I know they too will be giving my daughter something to bring home for me.

What I don't eat, The Pirate will. I know there will be way too much food for me. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom