What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Waiting to haul the Ogre to his check up...he just now remembered he was supposed to have fasting blood work done. After chowing down on three old fashioned donuts covered in chocolate, a cup of coffee and a V-8 juice.

Waiting to haul the Ogre to his check up...he just now remembered he was supposed to have fasting blood work done. After chowing down on three old fashioned donuts covered in chocolate, a cup of coffee and a V-8 juice.
My last physical, I forgot about fasting. So, I have to go back for the blood test. At least my doctor is good at taking blood.

Some labs/doctors now just ask that a person gets their fasting blood tests at the same time, after previously eating the same kind of meal each time.

That's for my lipids tests. If there are other fasting tests that are for more serious reasons then fasting may be imperative.

I have to do the fasting blood tests too. I just don't eat anything after dinner and go for my test first thing in the morning. Then back home for breakfast and coffee.

The fasting is imperative.

I have a hard enough time remembering my own blood tests, tomorrow is soon enough. I'm not letting him cancel this appointment, it's the replacement for the last one he cancelled. I would end up rearranging another of my work days, he's the one who insists I go to his appointments with him.

I think I'll give my new chainsaw a try. It's absolutely gorgeous out and I should be outside doing all the things I've put off since last October...

"Total Cholesterol and HDL

"Preparation:
This test may be measured any time of the day without fasting. However, if the test is drawn as part of a total lipid profile, it requires a 12-hour fast (no food or drink, except water)."

Lipid Blood Tests

"Requiring a patient to fast for many hours before a lipid test may soon be a thing of the past.

Although present guidelines encourage doctors to test for total lipids and lipid subclass levels only when a patient has fasted for more than eight hours, a report published online November 12, 2012 in the Archives of Internal Medicine found that there may no longer be a need for a patient to fast [1]. There is very little difference in lipid levels when measured in a fasting or nonfasting state, according to the research.

"The incremental gain in information of a fasting profile is exceedingly small for total- and HDL-cholesterol values"

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/791376

There are some limitations to that study (aren't there always? :rolleyes:) Perhaps age and other co-morbidities demand that fasting is necessary.

Evidently my doctors felt it wasn't necessary to fast.
For glucose monitoring there are various methods used:

"There are several different types of blood glucose tests.

Fasting blood sugar (FBS) measures blood glucose after you have not eaten for at least 8 hours. It is often the first test done to check for prediabetes and diabetes.

2-hour postprandial blood sugar measures blood glucose exactly 2 hours after you start eating a meal. This is not a test used to diagnose diabetes.

Random blood sugar (RBS) measures blood glucose regardless of when you last ate. Several random measurements may be taken throughout the day. Random testing is useful because glucose levels in healthy people do not vary widely throughout the day. Blood glucose levels that vary widely may mean a problem. This test is also called a casual blood glucose test."

Blood Glucose Levels: Testing and Normal Range

For those that are worried about getting diabetes or have diabetes----- they should do what their doctor advises.

Just got back from getting BOTH of my gas bottles filled. I should be set for a while now. Also checked out the grilling and smoking supplies at the hardware store. I bought some baby backs from Costco on Saturday and I have a new rub recipe to try out. I think ribs are in our future this week.

Note: The ribs get done on the Weber kettle with charcoal and hickory chips.

Postcard perfect day here today. Moderate temp, sunshine, slight continuous breeze and LOW humidity. The last part is what we appreciate the most. We'll be sweltering before we know it.

I planted about a half dozen 5-gallon containers with tomatoes, etc. yesterday so this morning Bella and I began our daily morning watering ritual. She's very conscientious about her watering supervisory duties so, of course, a good job was done.

The ornamental fruit trees around the front porch are a bit unkempt so I think, after lunch, I'll grab the pruners and tidy them up a bit. They do look a bit unruly and, with the lower limbs so close to the ground, it makes it difficult for Glenn to get under them with the tractor to mow. Besides, they look so pretty when they get a decent haircut. I'll use any excuse to be outside on a day like today.

When I finish with the trees I might be able to talk myself into some time on the back porch resting in the hammock listening to a good audio book I have going.

Dinner's in the crock-pot so I can do as I wish, when I wish today. Love days like this.

I am doing a happy dance - in my mind, anyway! :LOL:

My Taichi (notebook/tablet) came back from the computer hospital a few minutes ago and I am able to rest and be online at the same time once again! They replaced the AC adapter and the battery and it seems to be charging okay now. A few things are gone, but we did a full back-up just before it stopped working.

I don't consider myself tied to the computer, but I do have to say that this one is a bit of a lifeline for me...or at least I found that out by not having it for a month.

I had a rough pain and coughing night, getting only 3 hours sleep. I was supposed to go to the dentist with TB this morning, but could never be able to sit in the chair, and wouldn't want to be coughing the whole time if I could. I am also on a second run of antibiotic for the bronchitis and that is causing other problems. But I can't complain, I have my furbabies here and it is pouring out so a good day to stay curled up.

I'm sitting on the couch trying to warm up my hands and feet, which of course includes eating, lol.
It was so nice out I decided to mow the yard before trying out my new chainsaw, so of course the sun went in and it dropped back down into the forties. I should have put on a pair of gloves, but I was being stubborn and just wanted to get done.

I had a rough pain and coughing night, getting only 3 hours sleep.

Oof! How long has that been going on? Seems like a long time. Did you ever have pneumonia before. I've heard that if a person has then recurrent lung/bronchial problems are harder to treat. (Don't know if that's true---- may be just a myth).

Oof! How long has that been going on? Seems like a long time. Did you ever have pneumonia before. I've heard that if a person has then recurrent lung/bronchial problems are harder to treat. (Don't know if that's true---- may be just a myth).

No, cave, it is totally true and yes, I have had recurring bronchitis and pneumonia, which is why I am on more antibiotic. I have been good for several years now, but it hit me hard because my immune system is compromised by the anemia from my liver/gallbladder fiasco and from my chronic pain and other conditions.

I will be going back to the doctor on Thursday but can go to a clinic before if I need to.

I'm sitting on the couch trying to warm up my hands and feet, which of course includes eating, lol.
It was so nice out I decided to mow the yard before trying out my new chainsaw, so of course the sun went in and it dropped back down into the forties. I should have put on a pair of gloves, but I was being stubborn and just wanted to get done.
And hopefully that stubbornness doesn't give you a cold....or pneumonia! :ohmy:

Spike and I went shopping at seven this morning. We were the only shoppers there until just before eight. By then we were through. So since we came home I have been napping and pigging out on Hershey's little chocolate bars and dill pickles. I only eat the dark chocolate and leave the rest for anyone who want them. Right now I am thinking of making a Baked Virginia ham and Swiss cheese sandwich on rustic bread. :angel:

I will be going back to the doctor on Thursday but can go to a clinic before if I need to.

Let us know what the M.D. says----- or if you have to go to a clinic. It's scary when something doesn't get cleared up in the 'normal' amount of time. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom