What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is what retirement does to you...I thought it was still April and argued with DH when he told me Memorial Day is coming up. Time isn't flying, it's soaring!!!

Alix, I clicked on your link and thought those pictures were from a magazine! Lovely!

Monky, sorry for your loss. I lost my older sister in March so I am the last living member of my family at 68, and it is a weird feeling. I keep singing to myself "The Cheese Stands Alone."

I just finshed making a bunch of croutons out of some french bread.
Looks like was the busy member today, lol

Had bought a bag of Key Limes and had to use them before they went bad. Found a recipe online for Key Lime Bars. They were so easy and smell amazing. We'll have them after dinner, which tonight I'm making Baby Back Pork Ribs with a cole slaw salad. Very summer-ish.

After waiting anxiously for my climbing roses and other shrubs to bud out, I came to the realization that it wasn't going to happen. They were dry and crunchy. :( This winter was hard on a lot of my plants that are usually so reliable. Thankfully there is some growth coming up from the base of most.

So I hacked off a lot of dead branches from my favorite old reliables. I'm covered in scratches.

Last edited:
Meds picked up, porches swept, will be working on my flat surface problem in the "dining" room once I get some food. Costco was almost a graveyard today when we got there! YAY!!!!

I think a couple of my rose bushes look "crunchy", too.
I've been biding my time to get out the spade shovel.

I'm holding out on the hydrangeas for now, except for the monstrosity from Hades that we hacked to the ground, and it's sprung back and more. But I think I may have to take the loppers to the others tomorrow.

Dawg, if those roses that are "sprouting from the ground" are hybrids of any kind or grafted, you may only get flowerrs that look something like wild roses. I've had this happen with tea roses and others. Any growth from below the graft will not produce the same blooms that you had last year :(. Good luck I hope your roses survived.

Last edited:
I'm getting ready for bed after watching the Hobbit sequel with TB. It was okay.

I need to be up early for church so am hoping there is no sleepless night in my very near future.

After waiting anxiously for my climbing roses and other shrubs to bud out, I came to the realization that it wasn't going to happen. They were dry and crunchy. :( This winter was hard on a lot of my plants that are usually so reliable. Thankfully there is some growth coming up from the base of most.

So I hacked off a lot of dead branches from my favorite old reliables. I'm covered in scratches.

I'm glad you're here to discuss these things. Two of my rose bushes look totally dead. We were going to dig them out. I will have to look closely and see if there's any new growth from the base.

I just finished last night's leftovers for breakfast. One of my better one pot concoctions. And now I'm watching fishing shows :ermm: Nothing on TV interests me, so the fishing shows will be nice background I don't have to pay attention to.

Dawg, if those roses that are "sprouting from the ground" are hybrids of any kind or grafted, you may only get flowerrs that look something like wild roses. I've had this happen with tea roses and others. Any growth from below the graft will not produce the same blooms that you had last year :(. Good luck I hope your roses survived.

This is a very important point that somebunny brought up.

Thankfully, it's the same type of new growth they get every year, above the graft. There won't be any flowers though, as all the long canes were winter-killed.

Wild roses are pretty too. They make great rose hips.

A rosa is tough, hard to kill and very pretty. Also very thorny. I just helped a friend pick a cultivar of a wild rose that supposedly doesn't have as many thorns.

I'm drinking my first cup of coffee. Today is the day I take my pill for osteoporosis, so I have to wait half an hour after I take it before I can have my coffee. During that half hour I fed Shreddy and went out for a few puffs. Shreddy came outside with me and found some rain water, which he had to drink.

I had a quick look at DC and FB replies and then it was time to make my coffee. Shreddy wanted more food, so I gave him some, since he isn't eating a lot. I went back to the computer and realized I hadn't brought my coffee. I had only made the espresso, I hadn't added the hot water to elongate it or removed the coffee ground holder from the espresso machine. I removed and rinsed the coffee ground holder and moved my cup next to the electric kettle. I changed Shreddy's water because it had bits of food in it. I went back to the computer and, again, no coffee. Back to the kitchen to elongate the coffee. Added milk to the coffee which emptied the carton, so it had to be rinsed and squashed for recycling. I was afraid I would forget the coffee yet again so I concentrated on remembering it and realized my headache was getting worse, so I grabbed a couple of AC&C. Finally made it back to the chesterfield and computer with the coffee.

I hate trying to do stuff before my first coffee.

Was your coffee cold by the time you got to drink it? :(
Nope, still hot. It would have been cold if I hadn't elongated it with hot water from the kettle.

Time for my second cup. I'll see how that goes. Shreddy is snoozing, so there might be less distraction.

I am sitting here waiting to hear from The Pirate. He stormed out of here yesterday in a fit of temper. I didn't buy him cigarettes when I went to the store. How cruel. I ran into Spike and he told me that he had bought a pack for him. Before I could tell The Pirate that he blew up and stormed out. Oh well. If you want to act like a 50+ child, go right ahead. Just happy you took it somewhere else. :angel:

(((Hugs Addie))) :angel:

The second cup of coffee made it to the coffee table in one try. Yay! I did get distracted while waiting for the espresso machine to heat up. I loaded the dishwasher, but I didn't forget my coffee.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom