What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm just trying to keep a concise listing of our 50 Medicare patients and their assessment dates. It was an ID-10T error, PEBKAC. I'm still trying to understand how it works. I'm a nurse, not a computer tech.

I'm just trying to keep a concise listing of our 50 Medicare patients and their assessment dates. It was an ID-10T error, PEBKAC. I'm still trying to understand how it works. I'm a nurse, not a computer tech.

Too bad we can't trade expertise. I lived with Excel most of my professional life (once it was invented). I still use it all the time.

Too bad we can't trade expertise. I lived with Excel most of my professional life (once it was invented). I still use it all the time.

That would be nice, Andy! Thanks. I just need someone who knows to sit down and show me. I am a "hands on" learner. But trying to wade through the Excel for Dummies book and other online help I can find, I just can't see it and it makes no sense to me.

That would be nice, Andy! Thanks. I just need someone who knows to sit down and show me. I am a "hands on" learner. But trying to wade through the Excel for Dummies book and other online help I can find, I just can't see it and it makes no sense to me.

Excel is so amazingly complex and powerful, it's easy to get overwhelmed. I think your best bet is to learn as you go. You figure out how to do something for a report and it's yours. Then someone else shows you a cool function you didn't know about and you add that to your repertoire.

I'm here to answer questions if needed.

My poor wife had the screen off the front window and was cleaning the outside of the window when several wasps attacked her from a nest hidden behind a shutter. I heard her shouting and screaming. She took several stings on her forearms. Normally, these wasps are fairly common and docile in the south but if you get too close to their nests, they can be fierce.

When we lived in the Pacific Northwest, we were plagued with a particularly nasty and aggressive hornet called German Yellowjackets. They built nests underground and if you happened to walk on or near one they would swarm out. Getting rid of them was fairly easy. Wait until dark when they were dormant, pour a small amount of kerosene down the hole and cover with a rock. Next morning, all dead. I've been stung by these nasty critters right through my shirt and socks! The stings are so potent they caused muscle cramps and extreme itching.

Last edited:
When the Atari ST came out in the early '80s I got one and helped found an Atari ST users group. Someone asked me what I liked to play (there were a number of computer games for this machine) and I replied, "Spreadsheet." I love computer spreadsheets. I use them all the time, I usually use Libre Office Calc (it's free and Excel compatible) or Google Docs.

Andy, the problem with learning it on your own is that you may not find the efficient, easy way. I have one client who sends me a spreadsheet of income and expenses every year. She hasn't learned to use "Sum". So instead of =sum(a1:a7), she types =(a1+a2+a3+a4+a5+a6+a7). Many of her sums are really long. She doesn't believe me that there is an easier way.

It works, but it's a PITA to verify that she got it right.

...Andy, the problem with learning it on your own is that you may not find the efficient, easy way...

I understand your point. I never had a class on Excel. Actually I started out with Lotus 1-2-3 and moved to Excel when it took over. I learned a lot of "better ways" to do things by examining others' spreadsheets and seeing unfamiliar formulas. Then I'd investigate and learn a new process.

Of course, that was all in the old days when formal classes on Excel were few and far between. Things are better organized now.

I leave Excel to TB. He is a master at it. He sets it up and I use it. Now Word and PowerPoint, those are my realms. Also Photoshop and Publisher.

I am waiting for TB to come home with a new prescription for my pain - it is an anti-inflammatory that I can take - so many I can't. If you look at the side of my face and my rib cage, you would think I went a round with Mohammad Ali! I am swollen and black and blue. Last night I woke up twice with a start as my legs went off the bed but I was held back by the bed rail. It is my new best friend! Now we just have to figure out what is making me go into such deep sleeps and roll off like that. It happened twice before, but with huge time periods between.

I am making "travel bags" for a friend's two kids. She is taking them on a plane for the first time to California and they have very low attention spans so I am sewing a bag for each of them with their name on it and filling it with small toys, colouring books, etc. It is very fun!

I understand your point. I never had a class on Excel. Actually I started out with Lotus 1-2-3 and moved to Excel when it took over. I learned a lot of "better ways" to do things by examining others' spreadsheets and seeing unfamiliar formulas. Then I'd investigate and learn a new process.

Of course, that was all in the old days when formal classes on Excel were few and far between. Things are better organized now.
Yup. The first spreadsheet I learned was Lotus 1-2-3 compatible. Anything that wasn't compatible had to be done with a mouse to keep the spreadsheet compatible. That was before 1-2-3 could be used with a mouse.

I guess I really meant that one should play with it to learn it and then find out other ways to do stuff. That's when the books and other people and their spreadsheets comes in handy.

Last edited:
I planted a bunch of sprouted garlic cloves. I think it was Got Garlic who reported she does this. We'll see what, if anything, happens.

Now I'm going to fling some marigold seeds around. The winter was hard on a lot of stuff, and I have bare spots in a lot of places I've never had before.

When I worked for the utility company I was informed I had to use Excel but no-one was available to show me what to do and the instruction book had several crucial pages missing. Brilliant start! I ended up playing with it until I got the hang of it. It helped that I had Excel on my machine at home and could bash keys and make up spreadsheets to play with in my spare time so it wouldn't matter if I lost all the data. I still use Excel to keep track of addresses, Christmas lists, birds in the garden, etc.

I don't find the ".....For Dummies" books very helpful (Cat Lovers, if you want a good laugh - or a weep - read "Kittens For Dummies"!)

I've got a new "sharer" to do 3 days a week with Horse. She'll ride and look after him 3 days a week and I can have time to do the squillion things that I need to be doing at home.

She's a nice girl, aged just 20 and hasn't had a horse of her own before but is very dedicated and Horse likes her. She's a student at the stables where I keep Horse on the equine vocational courses leading to professional qualifications.

As for what I'm doing at this very moment - I'm listening to the 10pm news on the radio about Iraq. Very worrying as my cousin works at the British Embassy in Baghdad.

Sitting in my car waiting for this downpour to stop before driving home. luckily I'm not in any hurry because this wouldn't be pleasant to drive in, I can barely see the car beside me in the parking lot.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Sitting in my car waiting for this downpour to stop before driving home. luckily I'm not in any hurry because this wouldn't be pleasant to drive in, I can barely see the car beside me in the parking lot.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

We had one of them yesterday. I went downstairs to get my mail and couldn't even see the cars parked in the parking lot. Good thing I wasn't planning on going out. But I did stand at the door and hit the button so the door was open as several folks were making a run to get out of the rain. :angel:

Taking a break from yard work. It's 85 in the shade.

It's time to redo my flowerbeds again.We lost most of the plants due to a frosty 2 week period in December.All the bulbs that I had planted a year or so ago are gone as well.Nothing but weeds left.
Laying down some gravel, big rocks and planting cactus's is sounding better and better the more I think about it.

I'm getting too old for this stuff.:LOL:

Excel is so amazingly complex and powerful, it's easy to get overwhelmed. I think your best bet is to learn as you go. You figure out how to do something for a report and it's yours. Then someone else shows you a cool function you didn't know about and you add that to your repertoire.

I'm here to answer questions if needed.

Thanks, I found a new book on Excel today and will start looking through it. It goes by steps, exactly what I need to do. Amazingly, the Boss said the document I totally FUBAR'd up yesterday and fixed was just perfect, no problems.

One of our documents, we type in the admit date and it populates the entire document with the date for the next 100 days. I don't know how many times I've almost messed that one up and then remember the "Undo" button.

Last edited:
When I worked for the utility company I was informed I had to use Excel but no-one was available to show me what to do and the instruction book had several crucial pages missing. Brilliant start! I ended up playing with it until I got the hang of it. It helped that I had Excel on my machine at home and could bash keys and make up spreadsheets to play with in my spare time so it wouldn't matter if I lost all the data. I still use Excel to keep track of addresses, Christmas lists, birds in the garden, etc.

I don't find the ".....For Dummies" books very helpful (Cat Lovers, if you want a good laugh - or a weep - read "Kittens For Dummies"!)

I wish I had the time to simply "bash" around with it. But, it is a very small part of my job and not normally a part of my job at all. Only when the boss takes off on a vacation do I need to play in his documents. So, it's not something I would use enough to learn it fully. Until I have to use it daily, I'm happy with just knowing enough not to mess things up, too bad.:rolleyes:

I'm up late yet again. My ribs, neck and ear are really hurting tonight, more than they were on Tuesday. The bruising is looking a little better on my face but my chest still looks like the northern lights!

But I have decided that while I will rest as per doctor's orders, I will not sit around feeling sorry for myself. Since I have my recliner and notebook I am checking around here and doing some research for a cake I need to design for display at a cake conference in October. Since it is only one cake and I only have 3 feet and a table width to work with, I really have to show my talent and style in it.

Hopefully my pain meds will kick in soon.

Thanks, PF.

It seems to be getting worse no matter what I do. We are going to try and get to the doctor in the morning (or should I say later this morning). I can not get comfortable and just can't sleep....even in my recliner which is unusual.

I am typing with just my left hand as any movement with my right seems to affect the rib cage. As does breathing, laughing, walking, etc. The bruising is starting to lighten, but is still pretty colourful. My face is getting back to normal for which I am thankful.

I got out for a little bit today getting some supplies for the cake that is due Saturday. I have arranged it so that is really simple and my neighbour is going to do it for me with me telling her step by step.

Even though I live with pain on a daily basis and always will, when I get a new acute pain it can really throw me for a loop. And I have fractured ribs and they didn't hurt as much as these bruised ones.

Back
Top Bottom