What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just went and looked. It's pretty far up the sky, so nothing special. We did go down to the lake shore and watch a super moon rise a couple of years ago and that was spectacular.

Thanks for the heads up on the moon, Katie! It's still too light here now but I'll go out after dark and take a look.

Just got done cleaning out the fridge. Threw away the bits and pieces of leftovers I thought I would eat, and washed the shelves and veggie bins. Looking for a movie now and ready to relax. :)

Still beautiful sunshine here, but the skies will be clear when they darken. Looking forward to the Super moon;)

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

She should take the probiotic. Is her antibiotic once a day or twice? If it's twice a day, take the probiotic at lunch time with a meal. Once a day antibiotic, take the probiotic at night with a light snack.

The probiotic will help her avoid having diarrhea caused by the antibiotic.

And it will help fend off any fungal infections (yeast, cold sore, etc.). I get them when I have prolonged high doses of anti-biotics. I take my probiotics every night before I go to bed with a small piece of toast or some cheese and a couple of crackers.

Oh yes, stops the yeasties, too. I forget that now that I have other things to worry about when I take antibiotics...

And it will help fend off any fungal infections (yeast, cold sore, etc.). I get them when I have prolonged high doses of anti-biotics. I take my probiotics every night before I go to bed with a small piece of toast or some cheese and a couple of crackers.
A cold sore is a virus - not a fungal condition. On another thread I posted the sure-fired easy cure for cold sores...provided that you catch them at the initial, tingly stage (doesn't work once the cold sore is developed).

When you can feel a cold sore coming on, i.e. at the first signs of the tingling stage, place an ice cube on it and leave it there until it feels numb. (About a minute or 2). It will kill the virus stone dead every time! :)

(Re. anti fungals - you may know that garlic is effective)

Last edited:
I took a nap late this afternoon. When I woke up I stood up and my legs gave out. They were in so much pain, I couldn't stand. What the hell is going on. So I took two Vicodin. I usually only take one, sometimes only a half.

Two Vicodin are one more than my system can handle. I got so sick. Spike was here. We went back over what I had done during the day. When I mentioned the Vicodin, he realized what I was experience was a slight overdose. My system can not handle two. It is just a too high a dose for me.

So I ask Spike how long will this strange sick feeling last. He figures out what the direction say for a full day of taking them, does the math and tells me two hours at the least. He was right. I am just beginning to feel it leaving my system. What I don't understand is folks who want to commit suicide by overdosing with pills. If they have to go through what I just went through, it is a lousy way to die. And I only took two. I am supposed to take two four times a day. Time to talk to my doctor. A very scary moment for me. :angel:
Nasty stuff, Vicodin

Vicodin Uses, Side Effects & Safety Information - Drugs.com

or

vicodin-side-effects.html

Definitely speak to your doctor asap. If it happens again go straight to the ER

Obviously, your doctor knows best (we hope) but I wouldn't take paracetamol (acetaminophen) in combination with an opiate. I was given it in hospital and it made me more ill than the condition I was given it for!

Last edited:
I find that I feel nauseous if I take pain meds on an empty stomach. If I eat a little something first, I don't get that reaction.
You should never take NSAIDs on an empty stomach. If, for some reason, they have to be taken long term they are often prescribed with PPIs (eg Lansoprazole or Omeprazole) to protect the stomach.

A cold sore is a virus - not a fungal condition. On another thread I posted the sure-fired easy cure for cold sores...provided that you catch them at the initial, tingly stage (doesn't work once the cold sore is developed).

When you can feel a cold sore coming on, i.e. at the first signs of the tingling stage, place an ice cube on it and leave it there until it feels numb. (About a minute or 2). It will kill the virus stone dead every time! :)

It really does not kill the virus, it may put it back to sleep/dormant, but it is still there waiting to strike at the next moment conditions allow it.

Multi-tasking. Having breakfast and planning the menu for the week and the resulting shopping list so we can go shopping.

I am prescribed to take two Vicodins at a time. But I know how pain meds perform on me. So I usually take just one. I woke up yesterday morning feeling rotten from this cold. I ached all over. (No I am not getting a flu.) So I had one egg scrambled and took two caplets. Then when I went to stand up yesterday after my nap, my legs gave out on me. Fortunately I was right at my bedside. I still felt lousy and took two more Vicodin. That is where the overdose came in. One caplet each time would have been sufficient. I don't get the meds out of my system very fast. So I still had some left in me from the morning dose.

Today I am fine. I slept right through the night. (The rest of the Vicodin wearing off.) I am feeling much better this morning.

The reason for the prescribed two each time is to give me the option if I really think I need them. I did need the morning dose. If I had just waited it out when my legs gave way, I wouldn't have felt that I needed two. Once again, my impatience took over my common sense. And I paid for it. Almost too much payment. :angel:

So if she were to take an antibiotic in the morning, she either should take the probiotic in the evening or not take it at all?

Giving medical advice is tricky on the Internet---- but since a probiotic isn't a drug I'll just tell you what I and hundreds/thousands of others were told.

Take the probiotic AT LEAST 2 hours away from an oral antibiotic--- the longer the better. So you can figure out what's the best time for her.

Although antibiotics MIGHT cause diarrhea they don't always---- again attested to by my personal experience (and from hundreds/thousands of other people who were/are on long term antibiotics with nary a sign of diarrhea).

Antibiotics = diarrhea is a sort of urban myth put out by the Mayo Clinic, CDC etc. I've just re-read some of those 'warnings' and there are holes in their reasons you could drive a horse and cart through. :)

C. diff (Clostridium difficile) however is a whole 'nuther animal. It's very serious. And it's most often seen in patients who are in the hospital or long care facilities where they are also given antibiotics! Ta da.

Of course there's always a few cases of diarrhea (C.diff?) that people get for absolutely no known reason. File them under MUS (Medically Unknown Symptoms).

It really does not kill the virus, it may put it back to sleep/dormant, but it is still there waiting to strike at the next moment conditions allow it.
I beg to differ. I have used this method and now can honestly say I very, very rarely get a cold sore, i.e even at the tingly stage emerging.
Also, those that have tried this have reported favourably the same.

http://everydayroots.com/cold-sore-remedies

Last edited:

Thanks for correcting me - what I meant, was I get cold sores, yeast infections, styes and just about every other pesky thing when I am on IV antibiotic. I take probiotics and yogurt all the time and in higher doses when I have the antibiotic. There may be no true medical correlation to it working on these symptoms, but it works for me.

Unfortunately for me I can't tolerate garlic any more. :(

Giving medical advice is tricky on the Internet---- but since a probiotic isn't a drug I'll just tell you what I and hundreds/thousands of others were told.

Take the probiotic AT LEAST 2 hours away from an oral antibiotic--- the longer the better. So you can figure out what's the best time for her.

Although antibiotics MIGHT cause diarrhea they don't always---- again attested to by my personal experience (and from hundreds/thousands of other people who were/are on long term antibiotics with nary a sign of diarrhea).

Antibiotics = diarrhea is a sort of urban myth put out by the Mayo Clinic, CDC etc. I've just re-read some of those 'warnings' and there are holes in their reasons you could drive a horse and cart through. :)

C. diff (Clostridium difficile) however is a whole 'nuther animal. It's very serious. And it's most often seen in patients who are in the hospital or long care facilities where they are also given antibiotics! Ta da.

Of course there's always a few cases of diarrhea (C.diff?) that people get for absolutely no known reason. File them under MUS (Medically Unknown Symptoms).

I did explain in a later post that Yeast infections were the primary reason to take probiotics. But once you have C. difficile and later colitis, any antibiotic can change your focus on antibiotic use. My experience is that probiotics stop colitis flares. Even I am allowed to make a mistake, I am a human after all.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom