What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did explain in a later post that Yeast infections were the primary reason to take probiotics. But once you have C. difficile and later colitis, any antibiotic can change your focus on antibiotic use. My experience is that probiotics stop colitis flares. Even I am allowed to make a mistake, I am a human after all.

We're all allowed to make mistakes here. Some more than others. :)

Colitis and probiotics------ One PubMed article has this to say:

"Therapies such as prebiotics and probiotics aim to selectively manipulate the intestinal microbiota and have been evaluated as an attractive therapeutic option with few side effects."

Modulating the microbiota in inflammatory bowe... [Proc Nutr Soc. 2014] - PubMed - NCBI

Yep, C diff will change anyone's focus.

I took antibiotics for a LONG time (more than 10 years) along with probiotics and never had a yeast infection of any kind. But other Lymies did say they did get yeast infections while taking probiotics. I never followed them so I don't know any details.

Yeast infection = candidiasis

So there's a big difference between oral or vaginal thrush and systemic candidiasis. I had vaginal and oral candidiasis several times back in the years WAY before I ever took ANY antibiotic, ever. (I thought they were they were the Devil's Spawn.:rolleyes:)

"Candidiasis encompasses infections that range from superficial, such as oral thrush and vaginitis, to systemic and potentially life-threatening diseases. Candida infections of the latter category are also referred to as candidemia or invasive candidiasis, and are usually confined to severely immunocompromised persons, such as cancer, transplant, and AIDS patients, as well as nontrauma emergency surgery patients.[4]"

Candidiasis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back on the topic------ taking probiotics, in my opinion, is a very good idea even if a person isn't taking antibiotics and especially as one ages. Unless a person takes too many it can do no harm and it's inexpensive.
We (as Lymies) were always told to buy the refrigerated kind. But I think there are now some shelf stable brands ---- I haven't researched that so I don't know.

A good yogurt with live bacteria is good also. Or Kefir with live cultures.

I beg to differ. I have used this method and now can honestly say I very, very rarely get a cold sore, i.e even at the tingly stage emerging.
Also, those that have tried this have reported favourably the same.

http://everydayroots.com/cold-sore-remedies

We had a similar discussion on another topic before you came to DC. The bottom line is that correlation does not equal causation, i.e., the fact that you did something and something else happened after that doesn't mean that the first thing caused the second. It may have, but it may not have, so next you need to set up a scientific experiment to test the hypothesis and prove that there is a connection. Then you have to repeat the experiment to prove that the first result wasn't a fluke. Then usually scientists publish their results so other scientists can replicate them - or not.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. I have used this method and now can honestly say I very, very rarely get a cold sore, i.e even at the tingly stage emerging.
Also, those that have tried this have reported favourably the same.

16 Ways to Prevent & Get Rid of Cold Sores | Everyday Roots

Taken from the link you provided:

There is no true cure for the virus, or the cold sores. The bright side is that there are preventative measures you can take that lessen outbreaks, severity, and duration. If the bothersome blisters do show up, there are a decent number of home remedies for cold sores that may ease your discomfort, and help diminish their appearance. Just because there is no cure, doesn’t mean you’re stuck using irritating prescription face creams or having a cold sore that hangs around for an eternity.

We had a similar discussion on another topic before you came to DC. The bottom line is that correlation does not equal causation, i.e., the fact that you did something and something else happened after that doesn't mean that the first thing caused the second. It may have, but it may not have, so next you need to set up a scientific experiment to test the hypothesis and prove that there is a connection. Then you have to repeat the experiment to prove that the first result wasn't a fluke. Then usually scientists publish their results so other scientists can replicate them - or not.
Whilst I appreciate what you say, it was not my own discovery. I heard about it via a radio programme and - if you google "cold sore" and "ice cube" you will see lots of info come up so it would seem to be fairly common knowledge, i.e. established. Sometimes science can be overrated....direct, common experience is just as valid in my view.

The point is that the ice cube method works EVERY time if applied at the tingly stage. I don't care much for the argument about not apparently killing the virus fully. It works at the time and, in my experience and others too, barely ever comes back.

Last edited:
Way TMI, cave.

Oops, sorry---- I thought that since people can talk about diarrhea even bloody diarrhea, explosive diarrhea, puking and poo pourri ............

If you want to a ask a moderator to delete the offending words, I'm o.k. with that.

I mis-spoke earlier in my post 21823 ". Unless a person takes too many it can do no harm and it's inexpensive."

Upon looking further (on Lyme forums) evidently too much lactobacillus CAN produce a condition that's explained here:

Cytolytic vaginosis. [Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1991] - PubMed - NCBI

And here:

"The study indicated that special attention has to be paid during evaluation the _____ (deleted by cave76) smears of the patients with presumed _________ (deleted by cave76) in order to prevent an erroneous diagnosis of CV."

Cytolytic vaginosis: examination of... [Cent Eur J Public Health. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

It's not common but should be considered. Just saying.

Whilst I appreciate what you say, it was not my own discovery. I heard about it via a radio programme and - if you google "cold sore" and "ice cube" you will see lots of info come up so it would seem to be fairly common knowledge, i.e. established. Sometimes science can be overrated....direct, common experience is just as valid in my view.

The point is that the ice cube method works EVERY time if applied at the tingly stage. I don't care much for the argument about not apparently killing the virus fully. It works at the time and, in my experience and others too, barely ever comes back.

Just because something is on the Internet doesn't make it true. It might just mean that a lot of people are repeating the same misinformation.

If it works "EVERY time," then it must be coming back, else you would not have to do this repeatedly. I almost never get cold sores and I'm immunocompromised.

Direct experience is highly overrated - most people don't remember things accurately, or discount other variables, or use logical fallacies and/or magical thinking in drawing conclusions about their personal experiences. That's why the scientific method was developed - to avoid these problems as much as possible.

Oops, sorry---- I thought that since people can talk about diarrhea even bloody diarrhea, explosive diarrhea, puking and poo pourri ............

If you want to a ask a moderator to delete the offending words, I'm o.k. with that.

Thanks so much for those nasty images. Seriously, I don't want to know about what happens to your intimate body parts. It's not about being offended - it's about having enough respect for others and yourself to keep some things private.

Thanks so much for those nasty images. Seriously, I don't want to know about what happens to your intimate body parts. It's not about being offended - it's about having enough respect for others and yourself to keep some things private.

?? A confusing answer, but I'm used to be confused. That's o.k.---- probably best to S. O. B. (Scroll On By).

I was planning on grilling some veggies today, but the southern end of the Sierras are on fire again :( so the air quality is not that great down here in the valley. Such a shame, there was just a big fire up there a couple of weeks ago, several cabins were lost. No lives though, thank goodness.

Anyway, headed out in a few to get my grandson a gift for his 4th birthday next week. Can't believe he's almost 4 already! :wub:

Why do you persist in pursuing this topic? A question was asked about probiotics and the need for them while on antibiotics. The question was answered. And you continue to bring this back to socially taboo subjects. This is NOT a health site or a scientific site, please stop.

She should take the probiotic. Is her antibiotic once a day or twice? If it's twice a day, take the probiotic at lunch time with a meal. Once a day antibiotic, take the probiotic at night with a light snack.

The probiotic will help her avoid having diarrhea caused by the antibiotic.

Her antibiotic is once a day. She didn't take it after work yesterday AM and her tummy was okay later on during the day yesterday and last night. She took it again this am and started throwing up again about an hour ago. If it keeps up she's going back to the ER even if I have to call an ambulance.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Her antibiotic is once a day. She didn't take it after work yesterday AM and her tummy was okay later on during the day yesterday and last night. She took it again this am and started throwing up again about an hour ago. If it keeps up she's going back to the ER even if I have to call an ambulance.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Yes, obviously having a reaction to the oral antibiotic. Not unusual to have an extreme reaction to oral vs. IV antibiotics. The doctor needs to find one she can tolerate.

If you would PM the name of the antibiotic she's taking plus the dose and I'll dredge up what I know about antibiotics simply because of my inclusion in a community about Lyme disease a community that often takes antibiotics for years.

I've taken almost every antibiotic known so my personal experience might help you. Some are more prone to leading to emesis than others.
I am NOT a doctor nor a nurse.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, let's lighten up.

I'm relaxing with a large glass of Cotes du Rhone Villages having just polished off a plate of tortellini while listening to a dramatisation of Walter Scott's "Ivanhoe" on the radio.

Nice relaxing evening. Now trying to decide what to knit next as I've just finished a baby cardigan for my cousin's baby girl.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1412...ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108 but not in stripes - had some pale green yarn with white slubs. Looks good and made a head band with the yarn that was left.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom