What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TB and I have found an excellent way to teach the kids some boundaries and get a little quiet time by ourselves. We are trying to instill what a time-out means. So one of us does something "bad" and the other sends them on a time-out into our room...which has the computer, the cat, a bed to flake out on, etc. I may just do lots to make me have time-outs! :LOL:

So if you see me hanging around....;)

Absolutely nothing, though there's much I should be doing. Just got back from the pool with the Kindle in its waterproof case, and no rugrats!

Well, I guess I'm house-watching for a neighbor who's out of town, he called to say his 20-something year old daughter decided to come home and have a party. He wants me to make sure his house doesn't burn down and that nobody gets too out of control.

For the past few hours, I've been on a really good spiritual chat site (that I frequent a lot). We exchange info, support and usually have a really good laugh...like tonight.

Although I have stopped doing stand up comedy now (did it in the last century...when I was alive
tongue.gif
), I find interacting with my online friends provides ample opportunities for wit and I love making them laugh!
color.gif

Just finished cleaning up lunch for our construction crew who are busily building a large garage behind our house. Work began about 8 a.m. and is going nicely.

The guys broke for lunch about noon and we enjoyed grilled hotdogs, Cajun potato salad, baked beans quintet, tumbled tomatoes and cold drinks. A basket of oatmeal cookies was dessert.

Apparently they enjoyed the meal because the dozen dogs and huge bowl of potato salad, along with a big pot of beans are nearly gone. The tomatoes took quite a hit, too. Luckily, there are a few cookies left.:rolleyes:

They're making wonderful progress and it looks as though we'll have a finished garage by nightfall. Those 4 guys are busy little bees.
Good God! (Sorry, Addie.) Do workmen over there expect 2 course luncheons as well as money? Don't tell our workmen over here - it would scare them off! The last lot in my house graciously accepted mid-morning and mid-a'noon cups of tea but clearly thought I'd lost my mind when I offered cookies! At lunchtime they retired to their van to eat their sandwiches in peace despite invitations to use the dining room and plates, etc!

Last edited:
Good God! (Sorry, Addie.) Do workmen over there expect 2 course luncheons as well as money? Don't tell our workmen over here - it would scare them off! The last lot in my house graciously accepted mid-morning and mid-a'noon cups of tea but clearly thought I'd lost my mind when I offered cookies! At lunchtime they retired to their van to eat their sandwiches in peace despite invitations to use the dining room and plates, etc!

:LOL: Not a problem. There is nothing that says anything about "Good." Just "oh my" and "damn".

I have been on the phone with my girlfriend in Atlanta. Her father just turned 93 this past week. He still goes to work every day and puts in a full eight hours. We were both sitting at our computers and trying to dress her for her high school reunion in two weeks. We were both on QVC and looking at tops to go with the long silk skirt she is wearing. We finally both agreed on a Bob Mackie sequined top. I kept having to remind her that it is in Atlanta in the heat of summer and she would want to wear a light colored top with a light material. The place may be air conditioned, but she still will have to go to and from her car. The top we chose will leave enough of her arms showing that she can wear bangle bracelets half way up her arms. And a necklace that would do Cleopatra proud. Gee, I went shopping and it didn't cost me a cent. I like that! :angel:

cj, Spike and I had a serious ten minute talk of what I expect of him when my time comes. He is the strong one and the one I know I can rely on to carry out my wishes. The Pirate and my daughter will fall apart. One step below useless in an emergency. Poo, he is the medical one and can explain to the others exactly what happened. I think every child should sit down and have "that" talk together with their parents. :angel:

Addie, my mom and I did that Tuesday night while I stayed in the hospital with her. We have everything straight now. And she was released Wednesday with no antibiotics and the present of a weeks paid vacation from her boss.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

So I am sitting here and have a questions for all the housekeepers. I have the cloth and am ready to go out to fill a pot with hot soapy water so I can take apart the floor fan and clean it. The problem is I don't have a basin for such jobs. And I hate the thought of using a cooking utensil for a dirty household job. But I don't have a choice. What do all of you use for a container when washing woodwork, or cleaning other parts of your home with water? I know, the pot can be cleaned after with clean hot soapy water. It is just the idea that I should have a particular basin or such for this kind of cleaning. :angel:

Addie, I know this is late but do you have any of the pans that the hospital would give you when you decide to grace them with an overnight stay or longet?

What am I doing right now - getting ready to go to bed. Mom's kept me busy this week - walking twice a day to get her strength and endurance up.

Addie, I know this is late but do you have any of the pans that the hospital would give you when you decide to grace them with an overnight stay or longet?

No. But you will bet I will take one home the next time. And I know there will be a next time. There always is. I am going to have to ask Spike if he has one. Between him and Sandy, there should be a whole collection in the house. :angel:

I have a huge glass of wine, relaxing after a good but interesting day.

Steve and I had full charge of our new little g.daughter for a full today at her house.
Both my younger son and his wife had to work overtime this Saturday, and I don't mind telling you I lost sleep about taking care of her without a safety net. Dang, it's been a very long time. The two grands I had before our new little Cheyenne are grown and in their '20's. Ack! I didn't know that disposable diapers now days have velcro tabs. When she needed a diaper change I was yelling for Steve to help me because the "sticky tabs" were no good, and not sticky!

In all, it was a blessing to be with her all alone today without anyone around. She had such a rough start in being so premature, but at 8 months old she's now perfect in every way, right down to entertaining the old folks with such heart warming smiles for a whole day.
Life is indeed, very very good.........

Last edited:
Addie, my mom and I did that Tuesday night while I stayed in the hospital with her. We have everything straight now. And she was released Wednesday with no antibiotics and the present of a weeks paid vacation from her boss.

I am glad you had the "talk". There are a few members that recently in the past few years have had to settle their parents estates. It is because they talked about what their parents wanted, they knew what they had to do. Sitting across from the funeral director is not the time to have to make decisions that you might live to regret later.

Gee, if I get sick do you think her boss will give me a paid vacation also? :angel:

Steve and I had full charge of our new little g.daughter for a full today at her house.
Both my younger son and his wife had to work overtime this Saturday, and I don't mind telling you I lost sleep about taking care of her without a safety net. Dang, it's been a very long time. The two grands I had before our new little Cheyenne are grown and in their '20's. Ack! I didn't know that disposable diapers now days have velcro tabs. When she needed a diaper change I was yelling for Steve to help me because the "sticky tabs" were no good, and not sticky!

In all, it was a blessing to be with her all alone today without anyone around. She had such a rough start in being so premature, but at 8 months old she's now perfect in every way, right down to entertaining the old folks with such heart warming smiles for a whole day.

Psst, Kayelle...disposables now have velcro tabs. Sorry if I'm a bit late with this info.

Kay, don't feel bad. When my daughter had her first baby, she was changing him and called for me to bring her the wipes. Huh? What are wipes?

When I changed my kids diaper, I used a warm wet facecloth with Ivory or Castile soap to wipe their bottom. Not a cold wet piece of paper. I didn't have a special baby's tub for the bath. The kitchen sink did the job. And I had cloth diapers for all five of my kids. If I were to have another baby in the house today, I would still use cloth diapers. And none of my kids ever had a diaper rash.

I am so glad you got to spend the whole day with your granddaughter. Sounds like a perfect day. :angel:

Kay, don't feel bad. When my daughter had her first baby, she was changing him and called for me to bring her the wipes. Huh? What are wipes?

When I changed my kids diaper, I used a warm wet facecloth with Ivory or Castile soap to wipe their bottom. Not a cold wet piece of paper. I didn't have a special baby's tub for the bath. The kitchen sink did the job. And I had cloth diapers for all five of my kids. If I were to have another baby in the house today, I would still use cloth diapers. And none of my kids ever had a diaper rash.

I am so glad you got to spend the whole day with your granddaughter. Sounds like a perfect day. :angel:

I hear you loud and clear Addie!!

Actually, they usually use cloth diapers for her (huge savings with $).
I requested disposable today.. at my age, grand mother was not interested in dealing with even one more cloth diaper in the toilet. Been there, done that...
Age has it's perks. ;)

Kayelle, it sounds like Cheyenne had a perfect "Grandfolks and Me" day! Glad she could make you so happy, even if the new "hardware" had you a bit befuddled. :)

When our kids were born I had dozens of cloth diapers ready to go. Too bad our tiny babies' backsides were so small. First time I put a diaper on our son, put the plastic pants over it, and picked him up...the diaper slid right down his legs! Same thing with our daughter. We went ahead and used the disposable ones the hospital sent home with the kids as self-preservation. Found them so very nice to use. Keep in mind our two were going through about 8 diapers a day EACH (if not more) because they not only had tiny bodies, they had tiny bladders. Somehow, though, they seemed to have pretty big appetites. :huh: Ended up using disposables until they were potty-trained. I still have their cloth diapers though. They make wonderful drying cloths when washing the car.

Back
Top Bottom