What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sitting here listening to thunder in the distance. I looked at the radar map and the storms are just below us heading straight for Boston and then some more northwest of Boston and headed straight for here also. Should be an interesting day. It is the one that is north that is the biggest. Should be in interesting day. A good day to bake something. Cinnamon rolls sound good right now. :angel:

PS: See that picture to the left? Well, look at it as if all the hair is standing straight up. We just had a clap of thunder that brought me right out of my chair. I swear it was right here in the room with me. :angel:

Last edited:
Do you have a tax free weekend in your state? I have gone a couple of times during ours. The stores are absolutely jammed with people. You would think the big stores at a mall like Sears, Macy's, etc. would have enough room for people. Only in your dreams. Specially the appliance section of the stores. Computers are also a big item and the stores are packed even more. During this weekend a lot of the stores have special sales. So the buyer wins twice. :angel:

Addie: yes our state does have a tax free week end. It's Aug. 1-2. It applys to clothing and shoes under $100. Like you said the stores are packed.

Addie: yes our state does have a tax free week end. It's Aug. 1-2. It applys to clothing and shoes under $100. Like you said the stores are packed.

I am surprised that it is only shoes and clothing. The whole purpose of tax free weekend was to get kids off to school. Most states also include school supplies. We aren't taxed here for clothing at all along with food. So that wouldn't apply to us. I know they need new clothes, but they also need backpacks and other supplies. Here in most of the schools in Mass, the school supplies all paper supplies and pens and pencils. Even art supplies. Children are free to buy their own if they so choose. So for us it is best to do so during Tax Free Weekend.

Most of our kids will buy their folders, three ring binders and other supplies that the school does not supply. They are not necessary, but it helps the kids to stay organized. :angel:

Addie - having only joined recently, I have no knowledge of Poo's age (and, hence, - to some extent - constitution) but it does strike me as a rather serious illness. You say you are not too worried about him so this bodes well. I am spiritually focused (i.e. not orthodox religion) so praying is not what I do but I do hope that the outcome to this is favourable.

Poo is 41 years old. All my kids are middle aged. Two are approaching retirement. It is a very serious illness. At any time that clot could have broken loose and headed for his heart or even brain, bringing on a stroke of severe heart attack. Right now I am waiting for him to call me back. I called him, but he was going through the evaluation with all the doctors. Hopefully he will have good news for me when he calls back. He is progressing slowly but surely. So right now it is looking good. But anything could happen in a split second. A pulmonary blood clot is nothing to take for granted that he will be all right. If he continues on the path he is presently on, I will be able to put my mind at ease in a couple of months. Until then, all I can do is pray. Thank you for caring. :angel:

Tax free weekends are nice, but they are just another ploy to get customers into the stores IMO. Our sales tax here is 6%, but most sales prices are much lower even if you include the tax. Unless they are offering a good sale price PLUS the tax free sales it's not really a bargain. I try not to be lured by that. It tends to make me buy things I don't really need. The same thing happens with the Kohls' coupons. I think They jack up their prices beforehand to make you think you're getting a bargain with the 30% off coupon.

Tax free weekends are nice, but they are just another ploy to get customers into the stores IMO. Our sales tax here is 6%, but most sales prices are much lower even if you include the tax. Unless they are offering a good sale price PLUS the tax free sales it's not really a bargain. I try not to be lured by that. It tends to make me buy things I don't really need. The same thing happens with the Kohls' coupons. I think They jack up their prices beforehand to make you think you're getting a bargain with the 30% off coupon.

Like most of the folks here I am on a fixed income. So I have to shop carefully. When I know a tax free weekend is coming, I start to look at the prices of anything I might be interested. My best way I found is to look on the web at the store I am interested. They rarely show their big sales there. So I know I have a set price. Then the week before the TF weekend is coming, I go back and look again. They don't call it a sale, but usually the price is lower by the amount of the tax I would have paid. If it is higher, I don't go there. I only buy high end items. As the tax can be rather large. Our tax is 6.5% and that can add up when you are buying an appliance or other big item. Fifty dollars for a sales tax is a lot when you are on a fixed income. :angel:

Like most of the folks here I am on a fixed income. So I have to shop carefully. When I know a tax free weekend is coming, I start to look at the prices of anything I might be interested. My best way I found is to look on the web at the store I am interested. They rarely show their big sales there. So I know I have a set price. Then the week before the TF weekend is coming, I go back and look again. They don't call it a sale, but usually the price is lower by the amount of the tax I would have paid. If it is higher, I don't go there. I only buy high end items. As the tax can be rather large. Our tax is 6.5% and that can add up when you are buying an appliance or other big item. Fifty dollars for a sales tax is a lot when you are on a fixed income. :angel:

Most of the DC members? I don't think that's true.

Our tax-free weekend doesn't include appliances or other expensive items except computers, since kids don't need them for school.

I am sitting here watching the TV. We just had a tornado touch down just down the street from where I live. About 1/5 of a mile. I need to go to the store, and just hope it is not on the street I have to go on. Any live wires down and I am going to turn around and come right back home. :angel:

At the moment I am losing my marbles looking for a roasting pan I need to use to roast my tomatoes. I always keep my pots/pans/tools in a specific place. You know, "a place for everything; everything in its place." Well...it ain't in its place and I've looked high and low.

It's not as though it's a small pan. It's a really, really big, deep rectangular roasting pan and I can't for the life off me figure out where it's gone. I don't even remember the last time I used it. Ugh!!!!

I looked for it yesterday, too, with no success and am having the same rotten luck today. "Hey, pan! The tomatoes won't last forever!!!! Come out! Come out, wherever you are!"

'Spose that will work?! I've tried everything else and I can't blame it's absence on anyone but myself. Rats, not even any resident children to chastise for being careless.

We just got back from the annual 4 day family reunion at the lake, it was a success. We still are on vacation through Sunday, August 3rd. Dh has to be back by Friday the 1st for a wedding cake. Shortly we are off to Branson, Mo. Dh just got back with a rental car, leaving shortly for a 9 hour car drive. Not sure if we will get there in 1 day or stop near Kansas for an overnight.

After vacation I will definitely have to get back on the healthy eating lifestyle. I'm afraid to even step on the scale!

At the moment I am losing my marbles looking for a roasting pan I need to use to roast my tomatoes. I always keep my pots/pans/tools in a specific place. You know, "a place for everything; everything in its place." Well...it ain't in its place and I've looked high and low.

It's not as though it's a small pan. It's a really, really big, deep rectangular roasting pan and I can't for the life off me figure out where it's gone. I don't even remember the last time I used it. Ugh!!!!

I looked for it yesterday, too, with no success and am having the same rotten luck today. "Hey, pan! The tomatoes won't last forever!!!! Come out! Come out, wherever you are!"

'Spose that will work?! I've tried everything else and I can't blame it's absence on anyone but myself. Rats, not even any resident children to chastise for being careless.

You don't live alone. Is it a perfect pan for draining engine oil or washing motor parts in kerosene? ;)

You don't live alone. Is it a perfect pan for draining engine oil or washing motor parts in kerosene? ;)

Ha! Ha! I know where you're going with this, Andy, but Glenn is more than particular with how he manages car repairs/maintenance. His garage space is almost surgically clean, and even though the roasting pan is spotless, I don't think he's the culprit.

However...hooray! I found the pan. Exactly where I'd looked any number of times. That always seems to be my M.O. I keep going back, over and over, to the same spot when I'm looking for something. Perhaps it's intuition telling me to look more thoroughly. Unfortunately, I'd broken my rule and hadn't put the pan back on its hook on the pot rack. I'd simply slid it on a shelf just below, probably because I was in a hurry, anticipating to put it where it always lives at a later time. My bad!

...Exactly where I'd looked any number of times. That always seems to be my M.O. I keep going back, over and over, to the same spot when I'm looking for something. Perhaps it's intuition telling me to look more thoroughly. Unfortunately, I'd broken my rule and hadn't put the pan back on its hook on the pot rack. I'd simply slid it on a shelf just below, probably because I was in a hurry, anticipating to put it where it always lives at a later time. My bad!

Katie, I live with this. SO is constantly misplacing things like her credit card, glasses, keys and cell. I keep telling her to always put them back where they belong but she's in a hurry and just forgets them or sticks them wherever it's convenient. I'll bet she's driven thousands of miles backtracking to find an item. Her glasses are most often lost.

I am sitting here watching the TV. We just had a tornado touch down just down the street from where I live. About 1/5 of a mile. I need to go to the store, and just hope it is not on the street I have to go on. Any live wires down and I am going to turn around and come right back home. :angel:
That sounds scary! :ohmy:

Okay, now that I've found my roasting pan I'll begin the process of making some tomato sauce. I just brought in about 6 pounds of lovely, ripe Roma tomatoes from our fruit-laden tomato plants out front.

The first pan of tomatoes is roasting now and I have two colanders of washed tomatoes ready to go in the oven when the first batch comes out. Looks like I may get about 6 to 8 pints of sauce from this picking. There are loads more tomatoes, which means there'll be plenty to put by for the future. Yeah!

Here's a picture of the first pan of tomatoes, slathered with olive oil and sprinkled with freshly-ground black pepper and salt.

Edited to add: I forgot to provide a link to what the tomatoes will become.

Attachments

• 001 - Copy (2).jpg
    001 - Copy (2).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Katie, I live with this. SO is constantly misplacing things like her credit card, glasses, keys and cell. I keep telling her to always put them back where they belong but she's in a hurry and just forgets them or sticks them wherever it's convenient. I'll bet she's driven thousands of miles backtracking to find an item. Her glasses are most often lost.
I've heard that the knack of not losing your glasses rests on not putting them down somewhere unusual, i.e. to try and stick to familiar places. I have put this into practise and it does help. :)

Addie, we are on a fixed income, too. One thing my husband can't get used to is not getting a check every Friday like we did when we worked. The money that comes in on the first of the month has to last all month. I have given his kids instructions that if something should happen to me, someone will have to start taking care of his finances.

Katie, my husband is very neat and doesn't like to see things sitting out. He will put things away, sometimes when I'm still using them, but puts them where they fit, not necessarily where they belong. And if asked, he doesn't remember where he put them. LOL Gotta love him! Glad you found your pan.

Back
Top Bottom