What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Katie, I live with this. SO is constantly misplacing things like her credit card, glasses, keys and cell. I keep telling her to always put them back where they belong but she's in a hurry and just forgets them or sticks them wherever it's convenient. I'll bet she's driven thousands of miles backtracking to find an item. Her glasses are most often lost.

I don't usually misplace anything, but when I do it makes me nuts. I don't ever, and I can say this honestly, misplace my keys or cell phone. My keys live on a hook in the utility room if they're not in the ignition of the car or in the door lock. If my phone isn't in my pocket or my purse, it's on a shelf in the kitchen. I adopted this discipline when I was raising 8 children and was constantly driving "mom's taxi."

As for glasses, I don't wear them so no need to keep up with them.

Me three!

DH, on the other hand, loses everything: glasses, phone, keys, you name it. And usually they're somewhere in plain sight, which I have to find. DH can also open a cupboard or fridge, and swear that whatever he's looking for is not there, even though it's front and center.

Addie, we are on a fixed income, too. One thing my husband can't get used to is not getting a check every Friday like we did when we worked. The money that comes in on the first of the month has to last all month. I have given his kids instructions that if something should happen to me, someone will have to start taking care of his finances.

Katie, my husband is very neat and doesn't like to see things sitting out. He will put things away, sometimes when I'm still using them, but puts them where they fit, not necessarily where they belong. And if asked, he doesn't remember where he put them. LOL Gotta love him! Glad you found your pan.

When I go shopping, I have to shop for the whole month. I can't drive, and Spike is not always available to take me to Chelsea to get what I need extra in the middle of the month. So I call him and ask him to pick me up what I need when he has the time. As a single mother most of my life, I got used to shopping once a month or getting my income maybe twice a month. Then when I retired, I knew it was going to be once a month for the rest of my life. So it wasn't that hard for me to adjust. But for those who have been on a regular paycheck each week, it is a big adjustment. You can't just run out and get what you want to. And you can't impulse shop if you want your monies to last the month until the next check comes. I have been lucky. I sometimes have a few dollars left over from my check on the last day of the month. I pay rent, my cable, my checking over daft loan and five dollars to purchase 250 extra minutes on my free cell phone. I am not as bad off as some of the residents who don't know how to manage their money. I get $141 in food stamps for the month. More than enough to feed me. I do have to pay for taxable items. Toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc. So I have no complaints. :angel:

Katie, I live with this. SO is constantly misplacing things like her credit card, glasses, keys and cell. I keep telling her to always put them back where they belong but she's in a hurry and just forgets them or sticks them wherever it's convenient. I'll bet she's driven thousands of miles backtracking to find an item. Her glasses are most often lost.

DH does that, too. I've given up telling him to put them where they go and just pick them up if I see them in an odd place and put them on the kitchen counter where we charge our gadgets or the basket in the front hall I put there for just this purpose. It saves us both stress :)

I've heard that the knack of not losing your glasses rests on not putting them down somewhere unusual, i.e. to try and stick to familiar places. I have put this into practise and it does help. :)
I have 2 pairs of prescription reading glasses and 6 pairs of those "of the peg" "readers" I do my serious reading with the prescription specs and have the others scattered round the house - kitchen, dining room, sitting room, bedroom, a pair by the phone and a pair in the car. So why can I never find any of them when I need them? When I do find them they're all in the same room or pocket!

I also lose keys with reckless abandon. If the door I came in through is locked I know the keys are in the house somewhere. If it isn't, I'm really in trouble! I've always been bad with keys. When I was working, if the cleaning staff found keys they used to come to me first before turning them in as lost property!!!

I don't think it's senility. I think it's just not paying attention to where I put things down. This morning I took a knife from the drawer and walked across the kitchen and realised I hadn't got the knife in my hand any more. A bit of thought ensued while I worked out that I'd stopped to turn on the kettle and there was the knife. All due to lack of concentration and thinking about two or three things at once. There's so much going in the front of my brain that something has to drop out the back!

It's nothing new.Years ago I found myself walking up stairs with a bottle of milk in my hand. Went back down to the kitchen to put it away and found I'd put my make-up bag in the 'fridge!

So far I think I'm safe. I haven't gone shopping in my underwear or to visit friends at 3am..... Yet!

Last edited:
I've heard that the knack of not losing your glasses rests on not putting them down somewhere unusual, i.e. to try and stick to familiar places. I have put this into practise and it does help. :)
Sensible in its way but when you wear reading glasses and can't see past your nose when you're wearing them you have to take them off sometimes when you aren't in the "putting your glasses down" place. I found a pair of mine outside on the window sill this morning - after searching the house for them last night. I'd had to put them on while I read the instructions for the glyphosphate and took them off so I could see to use it. I wasn't going to go back in the house and put them in their proper "putting down" place so I put them on the window sill and forgot about them.

I see myself as a sort of non-professorial absent-minded Professor ;)

Sensible in its way but when you wear reading glasses and can't see past your nose when you're wearing them you have to take them off sometimes when you aren't in the "putting your glasses down" place. I found a pair of mine outside on the window sill this morning - after searching the house for them last night. I'd had to put them on while I read the instructions for the glyphosphate and took them off so I could see to use it. I wasn't going to go back in the house and put them in their proper "putting down" place so I put them on the window sill and forgot about them.

I see myself as a sort of non-professorial absent-minded Professor ;)

Ah I see....in that case, I would mentally retrace my steps and try to visualise my actions - but I guess you do that?

If I take my glasses off, I fold them shut and hang them by one stem from my neckline.

Yes I do that with sunglasses/shades when I'm out. It works until I stoop down for something and then they clatter to the ground! (Ah, have just read that Mad Cook has that experience too, i.e. in the post directly above mine - typed around the same time as my post).

Some hook the stem ends on to a looped chain around their neck so they can dangle like a necklace when not needed.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the dryer to finish flipping some laundry around, then I'll put things on hangers. After that I have a couple of plants I need to re-pot. My spider plant is trying to dig itself a new home, the cactus plant is so root-bound they're crawling over the edge, and the new basil plant I bought really should be in two pots. If I still have time I have a banana plant that has sprouted a couple of baby plants. I've re-potted the plant once before and ended up with a dead mother plant and three babies. Kept one baby and now she's a mom of 3. Even plant life goes on.

However...hooray! I found the pan. Exactly where I'd looked any number of times....
It was a case of "if it was alive it would have bitten me". :LOL: I experience that on occasion just because I do the same "put it down now, put it back later" method.

Was talking to my son, he said when they got back from their vacation they went to pick up their dog at the place were they were boarding him for the week and they thought he would be happy to see them. Well, to their surprise he wouldn't even look at them. Even in the car on the way home he would not interact with them. He was so mad at them, poor little guy. My son said that he is finally forgiving them and starting to play with his toys.

Yes I do that with sunglasses/shades when I'm out. It works until I stoop down for something and then they clatter to the ground! (Ah, have just read that Mad Cook has that experience too, i.e. in the post directly above mine - typed around the same time as my post).

Some hook the stem ends on to a looped chain around their neck so they can dangle like a necklace when not needed.

I use one of those eyeglass neck cords, too. Very handy. :) Works well for me since I don't need them for anything but reading small print.

Last edited:
Taking care of my best bud "GR"He just got back a little while ago from the vets office.He really likes the "NEWWW vet lady" Traitor!

While I was working in the front yard borders the other day,I noticed that he stepped into that gopher hole the wrong way.He winched a little, shrugged it off, he was too interested in playing ball.I didn't think anything of it.

He started limping favoring his right paw.To the point he wouldn't put his full weight on it.Today was day 4.Vet time! Our usual vet would only see him as a drop off.Meaning we'll get to him when we can.So I called another vet, they flat out said no because he hasn't been seen their before.

Got online found a really nice new veterinarian office that was more than willing to take him in right now.So off we went.

He not only fractured his nail he came very close to having it completely removed.Had a foxtail in his ear.Remember Houdini? Lil S...!Left the dogs with fleas.We and the vet couldn't find any on him.Apparently what had bitten him GR chewed his hair off to the point of infection.He was pulling it off his belly.Gross!

At least he/we found a vet that he/we weren't terrified of.The staff was really good with him.We were in and out within an hour.Not the usual 4 hour wait.

He's on a painkiller now chilling out watching old yeller...I'll stop the dvd before yeller goes.:ermm::LOL::ROFLMAO:
I don't want him drifting off into lala land wondering if I nap...will..???

Was talking to my son, he said when they got back from their vacation they went to pick up their dog at the place were they were boarding him for the week and they thought he would be happy to see them. Well, to their surprise he wouldn't even look at them. Even in the car on the way home he would not interact with them. He was so mad at them, poor little guy. My son said that he is finally forgiving them and starting to play with his toys.

All of mine did that to my husband when I got sick.He took me away from home really fast.They didn't like that.
To this day they give me the "Don't trust him look, you won't be back" when I leave with him.
They give him the "You bring my mom back or else look!" I think they mean it.:ohmy:

Addie, so sorry to hear about Poo. I've had the grandbaby for a few days - forgot how much work a 1 year old is.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom