What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm struggling with the downsizing. My furniture is mostly family hand-downs going back as far as the 1860s in a couple of examples. It suited my old house which was Victorian but it won't really go in this house which is 20th C. Mum's furniture does suit it so I expect that I'll be keeping that with certain exceptions. There isn't room here for my piano which was my grandmother's wedding present from her parents in 1915 and is a rather pretty burr walnut upright with boxwood marquetry and mother of pearl inlay decoration. I'll really miss it. Not sure what will happen to it as charity shops won't take it. I offered it on Freecycle but no-one replied.
I read once that when you have to let go of things that are old family items, you take photos of them. Use the photos to create an album, posting the picture on one page and writing down the memories on the opposing page. I was going to do that starting with the heirloom cut glass that I've dragged around for years. When asked via phone, neither our daughter nor son were interested in them. We ended up visiting our progeny before I had taken pictures, so I took the box of glassware to OH. I came home with one piece - she decided to keep all the rest! :LOL:

Slowly but surely, I plan on getting "portraits" of all the memory items before they go into our garage sale later this year.

I'm up again, having more problems sleeping. I was actually able to get up and out of the house today, visiting the kids (we are planning to stay in their lives and they seem to be very happy about that, so is their Mom). I am feeling good after my surgery but still weak so am trying to take it easy while still getting a few things done.

I have been getting my craft studio back in shape after using it as a make shift bedroom for us while the kids were here. Since we won't be officially having them over (as far as the government agency is concerned), we don't have to have a dedicated room. we are locking up things in DH's offices so that when we have them over on a weekend one at a time, they can sleep on his sofa-bed.

Violet is really happy to have her bed back beside my computer in my studio. She gets quite flustered when things are not the way they "should be". If we move things around she thinks we are "moving" and has quite a fit. This dog really does think like a person. I feel bad for her because she gets quite upset and inconsolable.

Well, hopefully I can get to sleep - we have a lot of errands for tomorrow.

Last edited:
LPBeier - I'd be interested to know what crafts you do. (I guess others may know but I am new here). :)

PF, you are up too early and I am up too late (still haven't slept).

Creative, I have several craft areas.
1) crocheting baby hats and other props for photographers
2) designing crochet patterns such as hats, afghans, gloves, mitts, etc.
3) designing and creating cakes including wedding, birthday and novelty
4) teaching cake decorating
5) quilting (mostly for myself or gifts and when I have the time)
6) paper crafts including cards, packaging for my hats, labels, cupcake wrappers.

At the moment I am concentrating on the crocheting but have been doing a few cakes as well. There are cake pictures on my profile and I will try to post some of the crochet ones as well - others have asked for them.

PF, you are up too early and I am up too late (still haven't slept).

Creative, I have several craft areas.
1) crocheting baby hats and other props for photographers
2) designing crochet patterns such as hats, afghans, gloves, mitts, etc.
3) designing and creating cakes including wedding, birthday and novelty
4) teaching cake decorating
5) quilting (mostly for myself or gifts and when I have the time)
6) paper crafts including cards, packaging for my hats, labels, cupcake wrappers.

At the moment I am concentrating on the crocheting but have been doing a few cakes as well. There are cake pictures on my profile and I will try to post some of the crochet ones as well - others have asked for them.
Wow...I am very impressed! I think you earn my username more than myself. ;)

Last edited:
Just took grandson to the swimming pool, hope we don't get any rain this afternoon. Had the oil and filter changed in my car this morning and also the tires rotated. Glad that is taken care of. I can't believe that school starts here in 13 days, what a fast summer vacation for the kids.

I've got so much food since my major shopping on Friday, that I haven't a clue what's for dinner.

I'm still sorting and sifting through my purchases and getting them stored to later.

I'll probably just keep nibbling away.

I made and ate the enchilladas. Very good, but needs flour tortillas instead.

I finally got the huge pork roast (cooked Friday) separated into freezer bags for later..

The pork steaks I got turned out to be very tough, so the rest will just stay in the freezer until I figure out what to do with them (1&1/2 huge steaks). I'll probably just let them sit in the freezer and braise them later on.

The pork steaks I got turned out to be very tough, so the rest will just stay in the freezer until I figure out what to do with them (1&1/2 huge steaks). I'll probably just let them sit in the freezer and braise them later on.
Just a suggestion....if it's not too late. How about making them into schnitzels? Bashing them out thin (will tenderise them), season then pane them (flour, egg and crumb) to shallow fry?

I've got so much food since my major shopping on Friday, that I haven't a clue what's for dinner.

I'm still sorting and sifting through my purchases and getting them stored to later.

I'll probably just keep nibbling away.

I made and ate the enchilladas. Very good, but needs flour tortillas instead.

I finally got the huge pork roast (cooked Friday) separated into freezer bags for later..

I discovered pork, or steak, pizzaiola a few years ago - the meat is browned and then braised in pizza sauce with lots of onion, garlic and oregano. Really good :yum:

I don't think tough pork steaks would be a good choice for schnitzel; it's a quick-cooking dish so would be more suited to pork loin.

I think the pork steak, if it isn't cut too thick (1/2 inch or less is probably best), would be great for schnitzel. It gets pounded thin and that tenderizes it, so quick cooking works well. Of course this works best if the meat has been cut across the grain.

I'm still dealing as best I can with all the produce covering my counter top. Just roasted some cherry tomatoes and froze them, now on to the cukes. I may make some more of Steve Kroll's fridge pickles, as the ones I made earlier are disappearing at a rapid pace. Still have to deal with green beans and broccoli. I grow very small amounts of stuff, but it's still more than enough for 2 people.

DH informed me yesterday that he was tired of eating so healthy...

Have to pay bills...was going to try not to think about it, but I better get it done before I DO forget.

I'm still dealing as best I can with all the produce covering my counter top. Just roasted some cherry tomatoes and froze them, now on to the cukes. I may make some more of Steve Kroll's fridge pickles, as the ones I made earlier are disappearing at a rapid pace. Still have to deal with green beans and broccoli. I grow very small amounts of stuff, but it's still more than enough for 2 people.

DH informed me yesterday that he was tired of eating so healthy...
I guess there are ways of 'dumbing down' the healthy side e.g. having the veg with a creamy cheese sauce - perhaps with a fat pork chop! ;)

Stilton & Broccoli soup? Is nicoise salad still too healthy? (Green beans, tuna, boiled egg, etc)

Last edited:
I pay most of my bills autmagically with my Canadian Tire MC. That way I earn Canadian Tire "money on the card" for paying bills.

I like to sit down the first day of every month and schedule all my bills right then and there, that way I don't have to think about it again for another month.

We also use rewards cards to pay any bill we can, can't beat free money!

I really need to get off my couch and get stuff done. It's my last day off for 6 days and I have a ton to do. I have to go about 25 minutes out of town on errands, have to come home and make wedding cake layers and a dessert for a get together tomorrow!

Somewhere in there I have to go kick some butt at Verizon Wireless...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom