What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I write one maybe two checks a month. I have three bills that total very small amounts, less than $25 each. The one check I do write is my rent check. Any other check is usually for the grocery store for items not covered by food stamps. The three bills I pay on line. Write a check, pay three bills on line and in less than 20 minutes, I am done for the month. A great feeling. :angel:

Moving a little slow today but the new hand is performing beautifully. The culprit now is my left hip, which I suspect needs to be replaced. Holy crap! Patch, patch, patch!

At any rate, all the housecleaning is done, laundry is done (some still on the line but dry), I know what dinner will be and I have some root beer cookies in the oven.

Got a little later start today because Mother Nature saw fit to rain on us, which is a good thing. It's been horribly dry here and we needed it, but it didn't help when it came to hanging laundry outside.

I decided not to be thwarted and fashioned a clothesline on the back porch. No biggie because the porch is 60 feet long. The problem was finding clothesline. Couldn't find any but I made do quite nicely by crocheting together one strand each of lacing thread and 27-pound test fishing line (not monofilament) using a large crochet hook. Only took a matter of minutes to end up with 18 feet of very nice line. Laundry is flappin' in the breeze.

Worked so well I might just make enough to run the full length of the porch.

... and fashioned a clothesline on the back porch. No biggie because the porch is 60 feet long. The problem was finding clothesline. Couldn't find any but I made do quite nicely by crocheting together one strand each of lacing thread and 27-pound test fishing line (not monofilament) using a large crochet hook. Only took a matter of minutes to end up with 18 feet of very nice line. Laundry is flappin' in the breeze.

:idea: GENIUS! Hope you don't have many problems with that hip. You need a break between all the patch-patching.

I write one check a month, for the power bill. They want to charge me $2 to use my credit or debit card, so I just mail them a check.

I just finished a document for one of my clients. No big deal, except my client's network got hacked in July. I feel as if I'm a character in a spy novel...all this hush-hush stuff is very intriguing (and somewhat scary because of the vulnerability of technology), but also very exhausting. Spending the weekend at the farm relaxing (mowing, picking beans, and more beans, and more beans).

I know where my business account cheque book is--I write 5 cheques / year on that account--all to the government for taxes. I would have to hunt for my personal cheque book. I don't think I've written a personal cheque since...2008?

Last edited:
I pay all my bills via credit union's bill payer. I write 1 or 2checks a year for gifts. That's about it. Even the state and the Feds get paid electronically. I know where the checks are, just don't care much.

Last edited:
Moving a little slow today but the new hand is performing beautifully. The culprit now is my left hip, which I suspect needs to be replaced. Holy crap! Patch, patch, patch!

;) Just so long as you don't have to get a new heart. The one you have is just perfect. At the rate you are going we will never be able to say, "I have an old friend." Little by little we are getting a whole new friend. :angel:

I have a J C Penny account. But I use it maybe once every three or four years. Only to buy large articles. Like my big craft cabinet.

So tonight I tried to order a three bin laundry cart on wheels. Here we go again. My card number is not being recognized. So I will have to call them tomorrow. I need to use this card more than I do. :wacko: I go through this every time I try to use it. :angel:

Here in Canada you would only be saving 88 cents because stamps are now $1.00 plus 12 cents tax!

And we complain because the USPS wants to raise our stamps from $.47 to $48? But most of the folks I know always buy the "Forever" stamp. The price is not listed on them, so if you bought a roll when they were maybe only $.40, you can continue using them no matter how many times they raise the price. They also want to discontinue Saturday deliveries. Since I get mostly junk mail, that wouldn't bother me. :angel:

I just got notice that HUD will be here to inspect the building. I should have known something was up on Thursday. I have never seen so many maintenance workers on the property before. They were even changing the light bulbs in the outside lights. They also washed the covers.

They choose apartments at random and take another look at any problems ones that are on their list from last year`. It seems my apartment is always on their list. So it is time to do some heavy cleaning. I sent Rosie out to do her job. She keeps missing the area around the big chair. She has room to go there, but never does. I am going to have to put her there right at the beginning of her cleaning. She thinks she is a lazy little hussy! I will just have to break her of that attitude.

I finally got my little hospital bathing bucket thanks to Spike. I took all those bottles and spray bottles and put them in that. No more hunting for what I need. Now I have room for the large bottles of bleach, amonia, etc. I forget who gave me that hint, but a big Thank You is coming your way.

My next big job tday is cleaning the four silk lampshades. But right now I need to slow down and catch my breath. I have been rushing around, climbing, bending, etc. Time to take a break. I bought these lampshades quite a while back. They were very expensive. I should have gotten the paper ones. Then I could just toss them and get new ones. These shades require special handling. Something I am not good at. I just like to get in there and clean the dang things. I have them in the bathtub and will spray them down first. The a small squirt of Dawn and a soft cloth will do the job. :angel:

Last edited:
;) Just so long as you don't have to get a new heart. The one you have is just perfect. At the rate you are going we will never be able to say, "I have an old friend." Little by little we are getting a whole new friend. :angel:

Thanks, Addie. Your comments are sweet.

This whole hip thing has me a bit upset. I've spent so much of the year "surgerying" body parts and it seems as though another one shows up.

Two considerations are at the fore and they are that I shouldn't let the hip get to the stage where the pelvic bone is being routed out by my thigh bone. Not a good scenario. Secondly, I've more than handsomely met my insurance deductible for the year, which would make paying for hip replacement a little more palatable.

I'm just looking at the fact that, here it is nearly the middle of August and the holidays are fast approaching. Although, Glenn had hip replacement a number of years ago and tells me he was only "down" for about a month.

Buck had his done, but I can't remember how long his recovery time was but it may not have been too long since the memory is so fuzzy.

We'll see. Right now, it's take each day as it comes.

Sec

Just wanted to say I feel for ya, Katie. If it's not one thing, it's another with me, too. Take care. :)

I just got back from the downtown farmer's market with a bunch of goodies for the week. I went there with my because she spent the night with us after having a dental procedure requiring a sedative. Had a nice time visiting with the farmers and the master gardeners staffing the table. We're really lucky to have a nice market so close to home.

It's easier to post a picture than describe everything ;)

Attachments

• 2014-08-09 11.50.02.jpg
    2014-08-09 11.50.02.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Nice looking haul GG. Thanks for the farmers' market reminder. Stirling wants to do some shopping tomorrow and I'm pretty sure there is a real farmers' market open on Sunday afternoons.

I just got finished doing some shopping at the health food store. I got an organic, free range chicken and I'm planning on tandoori chicken, so I better get off my bum. I'm just not sure how long to marinate it. I have read anywhere from 3 hours to overnight plus the day. I also read that I shouldn't marinate chicken breast for more than an hour in yogourt or it will turn to mush.

My girlfriend's father in Atlanta had both his hips replaced in his late 70's. He is now 99 years old and goes to work every day with his hips. They are still working just fine. He will use a cane if he is walking outside, but not when he is home or at work. Nance told me with both hips, he completed PT in less than a month each time. :angel:

I did something I don't usually do....just sat in a park on a sunny day and spent time just watching the children frolic. It was lovely to observe their carefree play - so refreshing. :)

Back from the Farmer's market, lots of leafy greens, tomatoes, onions and carrots. The celery looked quite "leggy" so I didn't get any. Good thing I stopped when I did, I couldn't get anymore in my bike basket. I need to get some panniers for the bike.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom