What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In view of comments on here I decided to go and find out what it was all about.

Well! Talk about cutting noses to spite faces! You wouldn't believe how the board are squabbling if it was a screenplay for a film.

The Governor made a big mistake. He has kept quiet until the other day. His wife is a partner in the law firm of Ropes and Gray. The most prestigious law firm in the State. They represent the company. He suggested that the workers go back to work and help the economy. The workers don't have anyone representing them. Just themselves. Their only remark to his statement was, "No, we don't want money, or a raise. We only want back Arthur T. as CEO." It is a good thing that the Governor is not running for reelection. :angel:

I don't often go to restaurants so am not familiar with customer's rights.

Yesterday I decided to treat myself. Went to what looked like a nice place and ordered the duck confit (with puy lentils, bacon and spinach). I don't use much salt in my cooking and found it just about edible salt wise. I was hungry so ate it. I realise the duck confit recipe requires a fair amount of salt but have had this dish elsewhere without this pronounced salty taste. (I noticed there was a saucer of crystal salt on the table!)

I paid the bill but mentioned the saltiness. (I always mention poor standards since I believe it brings awareness to the situation and helps rectify the matter, e.g. for the experience of others).

I was pleasantly surprised that the waitress suggested taking off the service charge! So I had it at a reduced rate.

This is in UK. I am wondering what your rights are in US re. service in restaurants.

Last edited:

Yesterday I decided to treat myself. Went to what looked like a nice place and ordered the duck confit (with puy lentils, bacon and spinach). I don't use much salt in my cooking and found it just about edible salt wise. I was hungry so ate it. I realise the duck confit recipe requires a fair amount of salt but have had this dish elsewhere without this pronounced salty taste. (I noticed there was a saucer of crystal salt on the table!)

I paid the bill but mentioned the saltiness. (I always mention poor standards since I believe it brings awareness to the situation and helps rectify the matter, e.g. for the experience of others).

I was pleasantly surprised that the waitress suggested taking off the service charge! So I had it at a reduced rate.

This is in UK. I am wondering what your rights are in US re. service in restaurants.

I'm surprised that they removed the service charge from your bill as a way of making amends for the poorly prepared food. That seems like they are taking the food out of the mouths of the waiters, busboys, etc.. and not penalizing the restaurant at all. Don't get me wrong I think it was a nice gesture, just odd.

It has been my experience in the US that a restaurant will offer a dessert or a drink from the bar to smooth over some minor problem. In extreme cases I have had them offer a credit for a future meal or remove the cost of an item from the bill. It has been my experience that if you clean your plate and then grumble you will normally receive a heartfelt apology along with a thank you for the feedback. Each restaurant is different and I find the most accommodating ones to be the family owned and operated places where they take a great pride in what they do.

I'm surprised that they removed the service charge from your bill as a way of making amends for the poorly prepared food. That seems like they are taking the food out of the mouths of the waiters, busboys, etc.. and not penalizing the restaurant at all. Don't get me wrong I think it was a nice gesture, just odd.
Yes you make a good point. At the time I was a bit unsure about the offer but now, in hindsight and with your post, I see it penalises the wrong person.

Today I phoned the restaurant and mentioned the situation, i.e. it was not my intent to financially affect the waitress, but rather to pass on my comment to the chef so that he could make amends in future. (Having eaten the meal I was not expecting any compensation, so it was a nice surprise when it was offered).

The manager was very accommodating, enquired about where I sat and at what time and said he would ensure the waitress would get something back. I reiterated that it was really more my intention that the chef be notified and he said he would pass this on.

So, thank you for your post here.

Last edited:
Yes you make a good point. At the time I was a bit unsure about the offer but now, in hindsight and with your post, I see it penalises the wrong person.

Today I phoned the restaurant and mentioned the situation, i.e. it was not my intent to financially affect the waitress, but rather to pass on my comment to the chef so that he could make amends in future. (Having eaten the meal I was not expecting any compensation, so it was a nice surprise when it was offered).

The manager was very accommodating, enquired about where I sat and at what time and said he would ensure the waitress would get something back. I reiterated that it was really more my intention that the chef be notified and he said he would pass this on.

So, thank you for your post here.

Thanks for the update!

Dodging raindrops loading the car to go home from the farm. Managed to pick cukes and zucchini before the rain came back, but couldn't get to the beans. Hate to touch the plants when they are wet--destroys the plants.

Dodging raindrops loading the car to go home from the farm. Managed to pick cukes and zucchini before the rain came back, but couldn't get to the beans. Hate to touch the plants when they are wet--destroys the plants.

When I was a kid my Grandmother would never allow us to pick yellow beans when they were wet, she said it would cause brown rust spots on them. I'm not sure if that was true, I never argued with my Grandmother! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

When I was a kid my Grandmother would never allow us to pick yellow beans when they were wet, she said it would cause brown rust spots on them. I'm not sure if that was true, I never argued with my Grandmother! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
My grandma told me the same thing--I hate to touch any plants in the garden if they are wet.

It has been my experience in the US that a restaurant will offer a dessert or a drink from the bar to smooth over some minor problem. In extreme cases I have had them offer a credit for a future meal or remove the cost of an item from the bill. It has been my experience that if you clean your plate and then grumble you will normally receive a heartfelt apology along with a thank you for the feedback. Each restaurant is different and I find the most accommodating ones to be the family owned and operated places where they take a great pride in what they do.

Same here. I have had a whole dinner removed from the bill and a free desert offered also at the same time. I took one bite of my dish and couldn't even take a second bite. The food was inedible. Shrimp were tough, pasta half cooked and the dish came out cold. Plus they added a ton of alcohol just before they plated the food. Never gave it a chance to cook off. But the waitress still got a good tip for her service. None of the problems had to do with her. It was the kitchen's fault. :angel:

See taste is subjective. Since you say that you use little salt in your cooking, but find this meal salty, says that your palate is suited to lower salt dishes. I personally feel that you were not pointing out "poor standards", just your preference to lightly salted foods. It's likely that most who eat here find the saltiness at an acceptable level, or they would change the recipe.

I do think that it was nice that they removed it from your bill, it shows that they care about customer satisfaction and hope to see you return.

See taste is subjective. Since you say that you use little salt in your cooking, but find this meal salty, says that your palate is suited to lower salt dishes. I personally feel that you were not pointing out "poor standards", just your preference to lightly salted foods. It's likely that most who eat here find the saltiness at an acceptable level, or they would change the recipe.

I do think that it was nice that they removed it from your bill, it shows that they care about customer satisfaction and hope to see you return.

Agreed. And as Aunt Bea pointed out, responses to issues or complaints vary depending on the restaurant management or corporate policy. There are no official "customers' rights" in the U.S.

I'm off to North Wales for a few days from tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon to visit a friend so will be "on leave" until Thursday.

Toodle pip, chaps. Be good while I'm away.

Henri x
Well, I was!

Today I got up early, showered, washed my hair & put on my make-up so that when I got back from the stables all I'd need to do would be to get changed, pack the car and set off. So far so good.

The weather was fine, a bit breezy but OK but by the time I reached the yard it was spitting with rain and the wind was getting up. Turned Horse out and started his jobs. And then it started. Howling gale and driving, almost horizontal, rain! Within half an hour of arriving at the yard my hair was in rat tails, my mascara running down my cheeks and I was drenched right through to and including my underclothes. The only dry thing about me was my feet, thanks to my wellies!

At its worst, which was most of the time, visibility was reduced to a few yards due to the rain. I had to put one of Horse's rugs on top of the wheel barrow to stop the straw blowing away and it wasn't just the loose stuff blowing off the barrow, it was whole 3 foot x 4 foot slices off the big bale going flying down the yard!

Decided that driving on the motorway and the exposed A55 dual carriageway in these conditions was not a good idea so rang Jane to ask if I could be excused until tomorrow. She very kindly agreed so I'll be getting up early tomorrow and setting off before the early morning rush hour. I will be taking my mackintosh and wellies along with the sun cream and sandals!

Oh wow...sounds like awful conditions! I hope the weather is on your side tomorrow though. ;)

:bash: What have I done! Good grief, can't I leave well enough alone? It all started with wanting to clean out the bookshelf and dusting it. There has been stuff on that thing for years that I never look at. So into the trash a lot of it will go. Pull the bk out and the dust looks like the sand dunes of Arabia. Way too much for Rosie to handle. So I have to dig out the other vacuum (named Clunky) to get the worst of it up. Well, I can't leave well enough alone. Have to polish the bk. Now more than half of the stuff on the shelves are headed for the trash room. Two trips there on my trusty scooter. Rosie and Clunky are sitting in the middle of the room just hoping I will trip over both of them. I almost grant them their wish. I am hoping Spike or The Pirate will show up so I can load them down with guilt and they will finish the job for me. During all of this I am trying to spice up a jar of simple pasta sauce so I can simmer the four Italian sausages I have thawed out and am trying to sauté along with the diced onions and garlic without burning. Have to keep a close eye on them. Nothing like multi tasking. Every time I take those dang Vicodin, I get a burst of energy you wouldn't believe. What have I done? Isn't Sunday a day of rest? :angel:

I tried out a chocolate and cherry tart recipe. Quite involved, i.e. simmering cherries in brandy (sugar and lemon zest) the day before. Today making the chocolate pastry and the chocolate custardy filling. (Cherry jam on the base of the prebaked pastry case).

I scaled it down from the original 9" flan size, i.e. to a half pint pie dish. It was quite scrummy when warm. Will have to see if it is a recipe worth keeping when I eat it cold tomorrow! :)

I thought of taking a photo to put on this forum but didn't think it would show up too well being predominantly chocolate coloured throughout!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom