What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TB empties the dishwasher in the morning so I don't have to bend. I fill it throughout the day (easier for me than emptying for some reason) and then when he gets home from work in the evening he puts the soap in and turns it on. Great teamwork!

I am up again nursing some pain, but it isn't as bad as the past few weeks. I am down on a lot of my medication as well, so the new diet seems to be helping. I just need to get my sleep and not take two hour naps in the afternoon.

Since we're usually done with our evening meal by 6:30 p.m., the kitchen is always completely cleaned up and so we can have an evening of TV or whatever we find to entertain ourselves. Occasionally, we've been so tired that we've even been in bed and asleep by 8 p.m. Not often, but every once in a while the tired stick just gives us a good old whack. Tonight might be one of those nights...at least for me.

Except for eating breakfast and a brief lunch, this is the first time I've sat down all day. I've been canning all day.

Finally got the last of the Italian green beans done, to the tune of 7 more quarts and 3 packages for the freezer, along with a generous portion to have with tonight's supper.

Cut off corn to end up with 16 cups of fat, juicy kernels and 50 plump ears. All the corn has been put in our auxiliary refrigerator until I can can/process it tomorrow.

I also roasted the last of the tomatoes and now have a half gallon of roasted tomato sauce to turn into my "special" tomato sauce recipe and can in jars.

I'm whupped and am soooooo ready to put my feet up and "take 5."

And what about the kids?

Some of the school bus drivers here in Boston have decided not to show up for work. Contract difficulties. Only certain schools (Charter Schools) and kids are presently in school. Next week all the schools will start after Labor Day.

Parents brought their kids to the bus stop, and then headed off to work. All the time thinking their child would be in school. But an hour later, no bus. Fortunately the bus company sent buses out to pick up these kids an hour later. Most of the children had headed home, crossing dangerous streets. And since most children have cell phones they were able to call their parents to let them know what happened.

Why aren't these contract problems solved over the summer? And why are they waiting until the first day of school to go on strike? A strike not authorized by their union. In this state, public servants are not allowed to go out on strike. I really think the school bus drivers should come under this rule.

What happens next week when the kindergarten kids start school and the parents along with their children are standing there waiting for a bus that isn't coming? These drivers who don't like the way their union is handling the talks, who decide to make their own work rules, need to be fired. Obviously to them the safety of these children just don't matter. :angel:

Last edited:
Whew! After all that, Katie, I hope you take 10 or 15! ;-)

Actually, GG, I took 30. I went into our bedroom and took a 30-minute nap. I didn't sleep, but rested comfortably. Guess it must've energized me because I went ahead and finished the sauce and just put 8 half pints of oven-roasted tomato sauce into the water bath canner. That means both canners will be finished for the season when the sauce is done.

Tomorrow should be a breeze. Yeah!

Well I WAS listening to the baseball game, but then the internet started fluttering in and out again and I keep getting knocked off. A repeat of our Saturday adventures. :mad:

I'll now spend the rest of the evening watching the news and trying to catch a ride on the WWW.

I am cheering and dancing!

Our crazy and stupid Supermarket Family Feud has come to an end. The workers are returning to work starting tomorrow. By the first of the month, just in time for food stamp recipients to start getting their groceries for less.

They finally reached an agreement tonight and a binding agreement was signed. All that is left is the legalese end of it.

The employees that were fired during the protest, will get their jobs back. All employees are to report to work tomorrow including those fired. A lot of the employees weren't even sure they could win this fight. But they were willing to stick their necks out. The rally adopted a giraffe as their symbol. What else has such a long neck. The employees and the public have won. Not bad for a non-union company.

One of the employees said, "The celebration will last all of five minutes. Then it back to work!"

Personally, I am glad the employees won. :angel:

Our crazy and stupid Supermarket Family Feud has come to an end. The workers are returning to work starting tomorrow. By the first of the month, just in time for food stamp recipients to start getting their groceries for less.

They finally reached an agreement tonight and a binding agreement was signed. All that is left is the legalese end of it.

The employees that were fired during the protest, will get their jobs back. All employees are to report to work tomorrow including those fired. A lot of the employees weren't even sure they could win this fight. But they were willing to stick their necks out. The rally adopted a giraffe as their symbol. What else has such a long neck. The employees and the public have won. Not bad for a non-union company.

One of the employees said, "The celebration will last all of five minutes. Then it back to work!"

Personally, I am glad the employees won. :angel:

I'm glad the strike is over and the employees can go back to work.

From what I have read so far it looks like Arthur S. actually won by forcing the sale and freeing up the cash that he was after from the beginning. The idea of the employees winning looks like window dressing to me. I'm curious to see the news on this over the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:
I'm glad the strike is over and the employees can go back to work.

From what I have read so far it looks like Arthur S. actually won by forcing the sale and freeing up the cash that he was after from the beginning. The idea of the employees winning looks like window dressing to me. I'm curious to see the news on this over the next couple of weeks.

This family feud goes back so many years. Artie S hasn't got exactly clean hands. His cousin took him to court claiming that AS cheated him out of his share of the company. The court found for AS and AT had to turn over the controlling amount as a penalty. Since then AS has been trying to get back the controlling amount of the company stock. Nice family. The founder of the store was an immigrant from Greece. He built it up by putting in very long hours. His two sons took over the business when the old man died. Then one of the brothers died suddenly and that is when all the fun started. The surviving brother screwed the side of the dead brothers family royally. The screwed family took the other side to court and since then all hell has be playing it for all it is worth. :angel:

Roasting some zucchini, garlic and onions in olive oil, the house smells great!

Next I need to prep a bunch of escarole so I can make a small batch of Scarola e Fagioli!

I use my version of Frank Pellegrino's family recipes found in his Rao's restaurant cooking books.

:whistlingWoke up this mornin'~~~~~:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm continuing my kitchen cabinet cleanout. Took out a 3 foot stack of cookbooks last night that I'm hoping the library will take. Today, I'm shocked at the amount of cocktail and dinner napkins I have, most still in their original packages. Good gravy, apparently I'm a hoarder.

A stack of cocktail napkins does not make one a Hoarder Dawg. It just shows you aren't drinking enough. :mrgreen: I have more stuff set aside for our garage sale than I can display in the 2-car garage! I'd post pictures, but I'm afraid DC doesn't have enough band width...or whatever the "space" is called at a website.

I'm heading out to my Happy Place (Market Basket) mostly to congratulate the associates for getting Their Boss back. And to see if they have any Miracle Whip in the salad dressing aisle. We're having fried fish for supper tonight and I thought I'd try the Chief's way of making coleslaw with MW. I'm pretty sure we haven't had that in our home since we got married almost 40 years ago! Like everything else, it's probably changed by now. I'm sure their "quart" is down to 30 or 29 ounces too. :glare:

:LOL: I'll take that under advisement, CG. My stack of napkins rivals my stack of cookbooks...

Last edited:
A stack of cocktail napkins does not make one a Hoarder Dawg. It just shows you aren't drinking enough. :mrgreen: I have more stuff set aside for our garage sale than I can display in the 2-car garage! I'd post pictures, but I'm afraid DC doesn't have enough band width...or whatever the "space" is called at a website.

I'm heading out to my Happy Place (Market Basket) mostly to congratulate the associates for getting Their Boss back. And to see if they have any Miracle Whip in the salad dressing aisle. We're having fried fish for supper tonight and I thought I'd try the Chief's way of making coleslaw with MW. I'm pretty sure we haven't had that in our home since we got married almost 40 years ago! Like everything else, it's probably changed by now. I'm sure their "quart" is down to 30 or 29 ounces too. :glare:

There is a restaurant back home that makes a wonderful coleslaw and I've heard that their base is Miracle Whip, with just a couple things added. I don't want that stuff on my sandwich, but it sure is great in a coleslaw!

:LOL: I'll take that under advisement, CG. My stack of napkins rivals my stack of cookbooks...

I had a small stash of those "too nice to use napkins" for so long they started to become "too nasty to use"! I finally just started to use them instead of paper towels until they were gone. It did free up a small space in the closet that almost immediately disappeared! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I had a small stash of those "too nice to use napkins" for so long they started to become "too nasty to use"! I finally just started to use them instead of paper towels until they were gone. It did free up a small space in the closet that almost immediately disappeared! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I hear ya, AB. I put some in the car along with some of the wrapped takeout plasticware, of which I also had a huge collection. I left a small stack in the cupboard to use as paper towels. Geez, I had napkins left over from our wedding reception, almost 30 years ago!

Last edited:
Every time we go to Ikea Rob stocks up on colored napkins. He feels the need to buy them there because that's where we got the napkin holder... For a while, he wouldn't want to use them up too quickly so he would want to share my napkin at dinner, (he'd use it after I was done). That all stopped when I told him he reminded me of his mother, :LOL:

Now we can use them freely.

Every time we go to Ikea Rob stocks up on colored napkins. He feels the need to buy them there because that's where we got the napkin holder... For a while, he wouldn't want to use them up too quickly so he would want to share my napkin at dinner, (he'd use it after I was done). That all stopped when I told him he reminded me of his mother, :LOL:

Now we can use them freely.

:LOL: Most of my unopened napkin stash came from a friend who had also given us a set of plexiglass coasters, where you would switch out the napkins according to season. It was always her hostess gift. I just threw them up in the cupboard.

DH and I share our wet hand wipes. Once we were at the airport awaiting a flight, and had breakfast. I'd put a used wet hand wipe on an empty plate, along with a used kleenex, planning to throw them away when we left. To my shock, DH started wiping his hands with my used kleenex, thinking it was the wet wipe! It still cracks us up!

Last edited:
I'm trying to finish my adult Bible study chapter for Sunday. And I mean trying.

These three terrorist kittens are going to drive me over the edge of sanity sooner or later. If it isn't my pencil, it's my workbook they're monstering. If it's not the study book, it's my very pricey study Bible. If it's not the Concordance, it's my notebook. When all else fails, they turn off my keyboard, climb my back, chew on my knuckles, swat my jump drive off the desk, run off with a stylus, climb my legs, and then try to kill each other under the desk on my feet.

I have to go. My Nook just sailed off the desk.

Back
Top Bottom