What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sitting down and putting my feet up after a day of activity. For some reason I was the Energizer Bunny of tasks today.

Began the day by making another recipe of Honey Buttermilk bread. This time making 2 loaves as directed by the recipe. Yesterday, because of the large volume of the dough, I divided it into 3 loaves.

Then, Bella and I did the ironing. Well, I did the ironing as Bella supervised and approved as necessary.

After the ironing was done and the board and iron were put away, I made another quantity of Miracle Pan Release since the jar in the refrigerator was nearly empty and I can't be without the stuff.

While the bread dough was proofing and baking, I emptied some desk drawers and fed the shredder. Why in the world did I keep some of that stuff?!

Afternoon found me disassembling the stove and oven and giving the stovetop a thorough cleaning. Canning sure did play havoc with the top and under the units. Now they're just like new.

Next on the agenda was to remove everything from the inside of the oven so I can run the clean cycle tonight. All the clay tiles and racks are slathered with oven cleaner and cozy inside a trash bag. They'll stay there until tomorrow and will look like new, too.

The last thing I did was to get everything, except the liquids, in the bread machine for some cornmeal pan rolls. I'll get them started as soon as I get up tomorrow and they'll nearly be done by the time we finish breakfast. They're among Glenn's favorites and I haven't made them in a while.

A few minutes ago I made a jar of homemade buttermilk and set supper on to warm.

I'm done!!

Last edited:
Just got back from our son's house. They had us over for a cookout. A lot of our daughter-in-laws family were there too. So we all got to catch up with each other and what has been going on this summer. Everyone is so busy.

I am sitting here listening to fireworks. The City of Boston is giving the citizens of the city a "Goodbye to Summer" show. What summer?

My goodness Katie, you are full of spit and vinegar with all that work you did today. Please send me some of your energy. :angel:

Working on my grocery lists for Wednesday's shopping marathon. I'm gradually cleaning out the fridge and freezer to make room for all the new goodies.

Working on my grocery lists for Wednesday's shopping marathon. I'm gradually cleaning out the fridge and freezer to make room for all the new goodies.

I am sort of dreading/looking forward to my shopping spree for this month. Everyone who has gone to DeMoulas at any time of day, has stated that it was crowded. I don't do well in crowds. The dang claustrophobia just loves to kick in when I don't need it to. I have been known to leave a basket almost full just siting there and run outside. That's why Spike and I go first thing in the morning at seven a.m. Most of the time we have the store all to ourselves. :angel:

I prefer to go as early as possible too, Addie. Even though Walmart is open at 6AM, the money desk where I get my money orders doesn't open until 7AM, and the prescriptions department doesn't open until 8AM.

I usually call for a cab at 7:15, get my money orders and start shopping. By the time I get around to the prescription department it's 8:00 and I can pick up my Rx's then continue through the grocery portion of my trip.

I take a cab back home with my goodies and my personal shopping cart, unload and store everything there, take a beer break, and start my next foray.

I take my third cab to pick up cigarettes and walk over to the Save-A-Lot for the rest of my groceries.

Another cab home, unload and this time I take my time putting things away. By this time I'm exhausted and sore but I'm so revved up that I don't take a nap, but my favorite part of the day is just beginning:

I take my register tapes and go through them to list my meats and other non-standard food items and work on meal ideas.

I try to buy some different items that I haven't used in awhile, or something new, to come up with old favorites to make, or new ideas.

Last edited:
When you are dependent on other means of transportation, it can create problems when you income is fixed and you have to plan every move. Fortunately I have Spike. And he puts all my groceries away. We never go shopping on the first on the month. The store is a zoo. And now that school is out, and the older kids are home to watch the younger ones, the mothers try to get out shopping earlier. WE usually wait until around the 3rd or the 4th of the month. All the food stamp shoppers are done for the week. And a lot for the month. So the store calms down.

My first thought when I got word of the screw up with my food stamps was I may not be able to meet my tithe at the church. That is very important to me. I may not be able to attend church, but that food donation to their food bank will feed some kids a breakfast and lunch.

I haven't even started to make my grocery list yet. It is becoming a job that I hate. I still have a freezer full of meats from last months foray. All I need for there is frozen shrimp for shrimp rolls. (Cheaper then lobster rolls) and some frozen veggies. Petite peas, broccoli. It is the produce department that has me worried. Will it be fully stocked by the time I go there? :angel:

Prescriptions and the 30 pills for 31 day months mess me up with transportation. By next month, I'll have to pick up the majority of the Rx's before payday, creating the need for another extra trip. Each round trip costs me $14.

I know it doesn't sound like much, but each year I've been getting a raise, the cable bill goes up more than the raise. Food stamps are lowered while food prices continues to go up, and my rent goes up too. The fixed income keeps getting smaller,

Last edited:
Prescriptions and the 30 pills for 31 day months mess me up with transportation. By next month, I'll have to pick up the majority of the Rx's before payday, creating the need for another extra trip. Each round trip costs me $14.

I know it doesn't sound like much, but each year I've been getting a raise, the cable bill goes up more than the raise. Food stamps are lowered while food prices continues to go up, and my rent goes up too. The fixed income keeps getting smaller,

Z,

Check with some of the other drug stores in the area. We have two chains that will deliver. The best one will bring you anything in the store for the price of the item(s) plus a flat $5.00 delivery fee. If your order includes a prescription the delivery charge is waived. Several of the folks in my apartment complex intentionally spread out their prescriptions so they can order various odds and ends during the month and have them delivered free of charge.

B

Last edited:

I had them lower my (I am not sure what your call it) definition on my screen to a lower price? Does that make sense to you electronic savvy folks? In doing so, it lowered my cable bill to where I could afford to upgrade what channels I could watch. I also had it done to my internet. That was a big savings for me. Sure my computer runs slower, but I had Spike clean out my computer and I am patient. It really didn't affect it that much. I got an $8 raise in January on my SS check, and a $3 raise on my rent. I now have only my cell phone. I got rid of the landline. That alone was a $20 savings. :angel:

Z,

Check with some of the other drug stores in the area. We have two chains that will deliver. The best one will bring you anything in the store for the price of the item(s) plus a flat $5.00 delivery fee. If your order includes a prescription the delivery charge is waived. Several of the folks in my apartment complex intentionally spread out their prescriptions so they can order various odds and ends during the month and have them delivered free of charge.

B

Great advice Aunt Bea. Rite Aid makes at least one trip to my building each day. That includes Sundays and holidays. And because it is for the elderly, delivery is free. That $5 can mean a meal for some elderly folks. :angel:

We have a couple of residents who own a car, and if they pass anyone in the hall as they head out, will ask if they need anything at the store or would like a lift somewhere. Specially toward the end of the month. And when I am outside on my scooter, I will see some of the folks carrying heavy bundles from the bus stop. I will rush to meet them and take their bundles from them and bring them right to their door. It is not like I am using any gas in my electric scooter. And they have to walk almost three blocks from the bus stop carrying those heavy bundles. I am sure some of them must have a bad heart. :angel:

Zhi~ try walgreens.com for an Online Pharmacy that will deliver your meds for free. On time and free shipping has to be the best decision. It's how I get Shrek's medications.

Last edited:
I am trying to get up the energy to do my last baking "job". I ordered a cake for the little guy's birthday, but told his Mom I would still make a gluten-free cake for her uncle. It is easy as I found a mix that is so close to regular wheat based cake it is incredible so that will make it very easy. TB is very excited that he gets to eat the "real thing", even though it is store bought. :LOL:

I have some house-cleaning to do before we go to the party as we are having friends over tomorrow.

It feels so good not to be in cake decorating mode. So I know I have made the right decision.

I had them lower my (I am not sure what your call it) definition on my screen to a lower price? Does that make sense to you electronic savvy folks? In doing so, it lowered my cable bill to where I could afford to upgrade what channels I could watch. I also had it done to my internet. That was a big savings for me. Sure my computer runs slower, but I had Spike clean out my computer and I am patient. It really didn't affect it that much. I got an $8 raise in January on my SS check, and a $3 raise on my rent. I now have only my cell phone. I got rid of the landline. That alone was a $20 savings. :angel:

I don't understand. Can you give me more information on this? I'd love to lower my cable bill. I'm paying $145 a month!

Bring retired, I depend on internet and TV for my entertainment and am not about to give any of it up.

I get a free cellphone and service from AssuranceWireless.com. It's also available from SafeLink.com.

I don't understand. Can you give me more information on this? I'd love to lower my cable bill. I'm paying $145 a month!

Bring retired, I depend on internet and TV for my entertainment and am not about to give any of it up.

I get a free cellphone and service from AssuranceWireless.com. It's also available from SafeLink.com.

When Spike comes tonight I will ask him. He is the one who put me onto it. I went from $145 like you to $132 a month. :angel:

Last edited:
I yanked up the cuke vines, they looked terrible, as do my cherry tom vines, but they're still producing. Don't even start me on the peppers or Jetstar toms. I planted more bush bean seeds where the cukes had been. Otherwise I've been watching a Cutthroat Kitchen marathon and sitting on my backside. DH has some sort of cold, and has been alternating between Sleepy and Grumpy. Thankfully he's on the upper level.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom