What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Heck Addie, that's what our first neighborhood would do when we had our annual development cookout! :LOL: Ooo, Ooo, now I have to look for the pictures of our kids on their tricycles, wheels all decorated with crepe paper, flags and stuff tied everywhere they could. Those would be perfect to post on Facebook for a Throw-Back-Thurday. :D

I'm relaxing with a bit of wine. Busy day and it seems like I didn't DO anything. Think I'll poke around DC for a bit more and then try to get to sleep earlier than normal tonight.

Heck Addie, that's what our first neighborhood would do when we had our annual development cookout! :LOL: Ooo, Ooo, now I have to look for the pictures of our kids on their tricycles, wheels all decorated with crepe paper, flags and stuff tied everywhere they could. Those would be perfect to post on Facebook for a Throw-Back-Thurday. :D

I'm relaxing with a bit of wine. Busy day and it seems like I didn't DO anything. Think I'll poke around DC for a bit more and then try to get to sleep earlier than normal tonight.

And if you ask them, they will tell you that those are some of their happiest memories of their childhood. I know they are of mine. I even dressed my dolly in crepe paper I think the only part of my carriage that didn't have streamers was the handle where I had my hands.

;) I hope you are enjoying that wine. :angel:

It is 5:30 am and the fire department and two ambulances just pulled up. Heart problem. They always send two ambulances when it is heart or a death. For a death, they don't send the fire department.

Why the fire department? Because they have the key to every door of every apartment building Boston. The ambulance company is supposed to have it, but not all of them do. And the fire department is usually closer than the ambulance. They have the oxygen. It is the same key that opens all the mailboxes. :angel:

Our small city of 100,000 has the nation's oldest annual Memorial Day Parade - this year was the 130th. Our friends' neighborhood Civic League sponsors a neighborhood parade for the kids. I think it depends on the place and the willingness of adults to pitch in with their neighbors and make it happen.

When our kids were young, we took them to our town's July 4th parade every year. I didn't realize how much my eldest enjoyed the parade until she moved back to that town and went to the parade every year as an adult. She's carrying on the tradition for another generation by taking her son to the parade every year.

I grew up with those small town parades. Every year the volunteer fire department would round up the little kids in town and they would ride on the fire trucks in the parade with the firemen. Now we have liability laws and the trucks don't leave the firehouse unless it is for official business, no one gets to ride in them but the firemen. I understand it but it still makes me sad.

I used to love our town's May Day parade. I was in it several years as well. I went back for it a couple of years ago and it still hasn't lost its charm.

Today I planned to work on the fence painting because the weather has been not too cold or hot. so, I look out first thing and it is pouring rain. We need to get this done. The only positive thing to come out of our teacher's strike going until October is I can hire some teens to do it if tje weather cooperates.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I'm trying to decide which method to follow to dehydrate sweet corn...freezer space is at a premium right now (and, if I don't like how it turns out, I can always mix it in with the Girls' feed in December when the weather is such I don't want to venture out to get feed and poor planning on my part [or gluttonous overeating on their part] leaves me short). Some worry about getting coffee (or wine), I have to worry about chicken feed before a winter storm hits.

Sittin' back and appreciating having the grocery shopping done and all the goodies put away.

Tomorrow is my day to go to "the big city" to purchase things I can't get locally and to spend time playing with my best friend, which usually includes having lunch out somewhere great. It's always fun and I'm looking forward to it. I'm formulating my game plan to optimize my time there.

Plus, right at this moment, I'm listening to an anthology CD of The Hollies. I've been bobbing my head, tappin' my feet and groovin' along with every song. So much fun....

Last edited:
I did that. :LOL: Last year I decided to cancel my satellite and go with just Netflix and Hulu. (big mistake, I wasn't happy with that at all, and missed my TV programs.) I called one of the satellite companies and told them I was thinking about re-signing and after an hour of negotiations, ended up with 50% off for one year. I told them I would consider it if they would give me 2 years. They did. Sold. :LOL:

I have At&t and Time Warner offering me cheap packages multiple times a week, but I know that as soon as I get the channels that we actually want and a box on all 4 tvs and it's not gonna be cheap anymore! We still get everything we need, just takes being a geek and more work!

Last edited:
I canceled our super-expensive all-inclusive DirecTV package and got rid of all the HBO and Cinemax stuff, as I rarely if ever watched it. DH is not happy, but it saves us over $100 a month. Thankfully we were able to retain the Tennis Channel. Like I care.

Just got back from walking Beagle. What a gorgeous day! Can't believe it's September already.

I canceled our super-expensive all-inclusive DirecTV package and got rid of all the HBO and Cinemax stuff, as I rarely if ever watched it. DH is not happy, but it saves us over $100 a month. Thankfully we were able to retain the Tennis Channel. Like I care.

Just got back from walking Beagle. What a gorgeous day! Can't believe it's September already.

I told Rob that it would save us over $1200 per year if we got rid of the TV portion of our plan, that could go towards traveling. He weaned himself off it. Luckily we have a good connection so we can stream lots of stuff.

...;) I hope you are enjoying that wine. :angel:
I always enjoy my wine Addie. ;)

I'm giving my" barking dogs" a rest before I have to stand on them again to get ready for bed. First thing today way to clear up two different issues. For some reason our new homeowner's policy didn't get paid because someone didn't do what they had to do for electronic funds transfer from our account. I gave them the bank numbers, so I didn't mess up! I'll probably have to make a stop at the agent's office tomorrow to hand them a check. :glare: Next was another go 'round with the "Hell" Connector. *sigh* They send a notice saying they didn't get my payment...when the credit union said they cashed my check. 29 minutes after the beginning of my phone call they verified that, indeed, they did have my payment. :mad: After that I did a load of laundry and ran the dishwasher. At least those things went smoothly.

On to trimming chicken, packing some up for later and seasoning some for dinner. Got busy with the rest of dinner, ate, then made a too-big batch of potato salad for Wednesday. Looks like I won't have to cook much after tomorrow! :LOL: And after all that, now I know how Katie felt yesterday. Katie, I don't know how you do all you do as often as you do it. :wacko:

Three trays of corn are in the dehydrator, a large bag of corn took the place of the bag of ice in the freezer, dishes are done, kitchen floor swept and mopped, grain and lentils for breakfast are cooked. Cabbage is prepped for a batch of kimchee and another batch of sauerkraut. The Girls feed is ready to go out in the morning. I love all the garden produce, but really, could I get to bed before 4:00 a.m. just one night this week? Thank goodness, I work from home and only "report in" one day a week.

Last edited:
Sittin' back and appreciating having the grocery shopping done and all the goodies put away.

Tomorrow is my day to go to "the big city" to purchase things I can't get locally and to spend time playing with my best friend, which usually includes having lunch out somewhere great. It's always fun and I'm looking forward to it. I'm formulating my game plan to optimize my time there.

Plus, right at this moment, I'm listening to an anthology CD of The Hollies. I've been bobbing my head, tappin' my feet and groovin' along with every song. So much fun....

And here we are all talking about how great it is for the small town activities.

I still don't have my food stamps. I am going to have to call a supervisor. My worker it seems doesn't like to return calls. Or she just doesn't like her job. So no grocery shopping today. CG, I can understand completely your frustration when folks can't do their jobs properly.

Aunt Bea, it seems like you should be able to pick up a form at your local fire stations and sign a release to pin on the child's shirt for the fire truck ride. We lived across from a fire house barn when the kids were small. Spike always ran to the window when he heard the sirens as the doors opened. He became a regular visitor there as a small child and was allowed to climb all over their vehicles at will. He quickly learned the sound of the radio and horn letting the men know that a call had come in. He would climb down as fast as he could and run to the back of the vehicles and building completely out of the way. The firemen always knew he was in back, not in front where he could get hurt as they pulled out.

We had a right over your head thunderstorm yesterday afternoon that was real bad. Poor Teddy. It was so loud. Some of the claps even made me jump. With that storm we had a deluge of rain come down. One of the electrical poles at the top of the hill was rotted out at the bottom real close to the ground and fell down taking all the wires with it. The pole was on the downside of the hill and the water rushed right into it. We lost power for a couple of hours. I took a nice long nap. When I woke up, I didn't even have time to look for a candle. And now I can hear more thunder in the distance. :angel:

Aunt Bea, it seems like you should be able to pick up a form at your local fire stations and sign a release to pin on the child's shirt for the fire truck ride. We lived across from a fire house barn when the kids were small. Spike always ran to the window when he heard the sirens as the doors opened. He became a regular visitor there as a small child and was allowed to climb all over their vehicles at will. He quickly learned the sound of the radio and horn letting the men know that a call had come in. He would climb down as fast as he could and run to the back of the vehicles and building completely out of the way. The firemen always knew he was in back, not in front where he could get hurt as they pulled out.
:angel:

That was only half the fuss!

The other argument was that if an emergency occurred while the firemen were out playing with a bunch of kids someone might die. The firemen attempted to explain that the response time would actually be quicker than normal. It usually takes several minutes for enough volunteers to assemble at the fire house so they can respond to a call. In the case of the parade they could just unload the children and be on the way to the call in a couple of minutes.

These squabbles are fairly common in small towns.

That was only half the fuss!

The other argument was that if an emergency occurred while the firemen were out playing with a bunch of kids someone might die. The firemen attempted to explain that the response time would actually be quicker than normal. It usually takes several minutes for enough volunteers to assemble at the fire house so they can respond to a call. In the case of the parade they could just unload the children and be on the way to the call in a couple of minutes.

These squabbles are fairly common in small towns.

Unfortunately not only the kids lost out on some happy memories, but the town having a "fell good" day that would stay around for quite a while. When you have happy kids, you have better behaved kids. :angel:

I'm getting psyched up for my marathon monthly shopping. I'll have lots of goodies, but I'll be whupped!

Today I finally tackled a much delayed project. Since returning back to my flat (4 months), I have been waiting to come to terms with no longer being able to cycle (too nervous after the owner of a parked car suddenly swung its door into me).I have cycled for over 40 years and so it is an end to a chapter. I even sometimes dream of cycling and have written a poem about my bike - as a kind of closure.

Today I prepared the bike in readiness to sell it, i.e. stripped it of all its eccentric accessories and repainted it.
Finally acknowledging and letting go.

Back
Top Bottom