What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When my old scooter was ready for the graveyard, I put it out by the dumpster with the instruction booklet, power cord, etc. It was gone in an hour. If it is a small item, just put it in the Community Room. Someone will take it even if they don't need it. A bigger item, put it beside the dumpster and it might take as long as an hour.

The sad part is that quite often, when a resident dies, the family comes to clean out the apartment, none of the kids want any of the furniture. Most likely furniture that their parents had most of their married life. And they can't be bothered to take it to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. Of course, the kids will fight over who gets the good stuff. When Old Joe died, he was 102 y.o. He had no family left. So maintenance got to clean out his apartment. He had pictures from WWI and II when some family members served, to the Korean Conflict when he served. Those they sent to the VFW. Somebody was smart enough to put the names on the back. Maintenance got to pick over the rest.

Like the saying goes, Somebody's trash..... :angel:

Last edited:
I use the Community Room for getting rid of useful things that I no longer want. I always include the instruction manual.

There just isn't enough room to keep something I'm not using.

I keep a box for smaller items and when it gets full I take it there.

I'll be taking an electric skillet and a crock pot down soon. I don't need a crockpot since I like to cook low and slow on the stove and have the time to babysit it. The skillet is nice and large, but when I have a large amount to cook, like a big batch of taco meat, I just use the stew pot to contain all the ingredients.

I don't know why it's so hard for me to de-clutter, especially in the kitchen. I have a couple of sets of dishes I accumulated over the years that are just taking up space in the back of the cupboard. I think I'll take photos of the dishes, gadgets, etc. and send them to my kids. If they want something, I'll box it up, put it in the garage (just as soon as I de-clutter the garage :rolleyes:) and donate the rest.

Thanks for the nudge, ladies.

...I think I'll take photos of the dishes, gadgets, etc. and send them to my kids. If they want something, I'll box it up, put it in the garage (just as soon as I de-clutter the garage :rolleyes:) and donate the rest.

Thanks for the nudge, ladies.

A few years ago, SO and I (mostly SO) decided to get rid of the clutter we had accumulated by combining two households and just never use. We got together with my kids for a cookout and told them to take any or all of the stuff in set out in the basement free for nothing. They didn't take much. The rest got donated. Found out years later they thought I was dieing and that was the reason for cleaning house. I hope they weren't too disappointed.

A few years ago, SO and I (mostly SO) decided to get rid of the clutter we had accumulated by combining two households and just never use. We got together with my kids for a cookout and told them to take any or all of the stuff in set out in the basement free for nothing. They didn't take much. The rest got donated. Found out years later they thought I was dieing and that was the reason for cleaning house. I hope they weren't too disappointed.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Today DH cleaned out the bottom of the china closet. There were so many things in there I didn't even know I had. Sometimes when we go to Goodwill, DH will find brand new items that someone donated and he buys them for a couple dollars just because he hates to pass them up. I must have about 5 of those little electric choppers, the ones small enough to hold in your hand. I like keeping one handy when I just need a few chopped nuts etc, but I have no need for 5 of them. If the kids don't want them they will get donated back to Goodwill, with strict instructions for DH not to buy them! Maybe I'll donate them to Salvation Army Store. We never go there.

Today DH cleaned out the bottom of the china closet. There were so many things in there I didn't even know I had. Sometimes when we go to Goodwill, DH will find brand new items that someone donated and he buys them for a couple dollars just because he hates to pass them up. I must have about 5 of those little electric choppers, the ones small enough to hold in your hand. I like keeping one handy when I just need a few chopped nuts etc, but I have no need for 5 of them. If the kids don't want them they will get donated back to Goodwill, with strict instructions for DH not to buy them! Maybe I'll donate them to Salvation Army Store. We never go there.

The Salvation Army is a charity, while Goodwill is a for-profit company, if that makes a difference to you.

I had a de-cluttering day today too, and am happy with how much I got done. Well, at least in the 3 bedrooms. Once I got going, I was on a roll! :) Three boxes of stuff are in the trunk of the car for the Salvation Army. The kitchen is cleaned up from dinner, laundry is done, I'm tired, and ready to settle in and find a good movie.

I was awakened at 4:30 this morning by a mild earthquake (3.7), not a biggie but enough to rattle the windows and shake my bed a bit. I laid there listening to the rumble deep in the earth and waited for it to stop, then went ahead and got up since I was awake. :ermm: :LOL:

The Salvation Army is a charity, while Goodwill is a for-profit company, if that makes a difference to you.

I prefer the Salvation Army over Goodwill. The only problem is that neither one will do pickup anymore. That makes it hard to donate good, still usable objects. We have a SA in the town over. They have been there for years. You used to be able to leave your donations there. Not anymore. Now they want you to leave it at the center up on the Route #1. So if you don't have a car, you are out of luck and they lose. Over to the dumpster they go.

We don't have a Goodwill anywhere near us. :angel:

dw donates a lot of stuff to the vietnam veterans of america, or something like that. they'll pick up just about anything.

I had a hard time when I first moved here. For that matter, still do. No one will pick up. Then I asked a guy working around the house about it, and he said that a relative needed stuff and came and took all of it away. I was so happy to see what was good stuff go to a needy family. Since then, Goodwill has opened a store in Dubuque (it wasn't there when we moved here). So we keep stuff in the garage and when it piles up (a few times a year), we bring it to Goodwill. Our Goodwill seems to hire Downs Syndrome adults, and I'm all for that.

What it comes down to is that I am NOT a junque collector. If I haven't used it for a year, it goes away. I just don't want stuff around that I don't use. And people give me things. So I hold on to them ... then, when no one is looking, I give it away!

I had a hard time when I first moved here. For that matter, still do. No one will pick up. Then I asked a guy working around the house about it, and he said that a relative needed stuff and came and took all of it away. I was so happy to see what was good stuff go to a needy family. Since then, Goodwill has opened a store in Dubuque (it wasn't there when we moved here). So we keep stuff in the garage and when it piles up (a few times a year), we bring it to Goodwill. Our Goodwill seems to hire Downs Syndrome adults, and I'm all for that.

What it comes down to is that I am NOT a junque collector. If I haven't used it for a year, it goes away. I just don't want stuff around that I don't use. And people give me things. So I hold on to them ... then, when no one is looking, I give it away!

The SA also hires the mentally challenged and has a workshop for them. They repair a lot of broken and other damaged goods that they receive. You would be surprised at what a great job they do reupholstering furniture. It all looks brand spanking new. They learn trades so well, they could and some do get hired by companies outside the SA. But if they fail out in the world, they know they can always come back. I know one woman who called SA and ask if they could send a repair person to fix her fridge. She paid him the going union rate. SA provided the to an from transportation. :angel:

Since both my cold and the weather put the kibosh on hopes of a garage sale this year, I've been sorting through and boxing up all the items I've collected. Not quite half of them are already stuffed into one of those big, metal storage cabinets that can be used to store office supplies. Most of the rest are lined up along the basement wall. I'll herd everything into boxes and line it up, ready for it to make a run for the bulkhead doors when the warm spring winds blow. Meanwhile, it looks like I have the upcoming winter to weed through even more stuff I don't use/need/want. If I time it right, I'll have the sale and repack the left-behinds in time for the town's boy scout troop's semi-annual yard sale. They make thousands of dollars for their activities and so that the troop can go to the Jamboree.

If the timing is off, I'll just make a few trips to Salvation Army. My Dad said that the WWII servicemen were eternally grateful to SA because they were the group that set up canteens, provided blankets and necessities, and made contacts with family members when asked. Dad said Red Cross did basically nothing for them compared to Salvation Army. To this day, in my Dad's memory, when the red kettles come out I put a bunch of folded-up dollar bills in my pocket. Every time I see a bell-ringer, I pull one of those dollars out and put it in the kettle. :heart:

Since both my cold and the weather put the kibosh on hopes of a garage sale this year, I've been sorting through and boxing up all the items I've collected. Not quite half of them are already stuffed into one of those big, metal storage cabinets that can be used to store office supplies. Most of the rest are lined up along the basement wall. I'll herd everything into boxes and line it up, ready for it to make a run for the bulkhead doors when the warm spring winds blow. Meanwhile, it looks like I have the upcoming winter to weed through even more stuff I don't use/need/want. If I time it right, I'll have the sale and repack the left-behinds in time for the town's boy scout troop's semi-annual yard sale. They make thousands of dollars for their activities and so that the troop can go to the Jamboree.

If the timing is off, I'll just make a few trips to Salvation Army. My Dad said that the WWII servicemen were eternally grateful to SA because they were the group that set up canteens, provided blankets and necessities, and made contacts with family members when asked. Dad said Red Cross did basically nothing for them compared to Salvation Army. To this day, in my Dad's memory, when the red kettles come out I put a bunch of folded-up dollar bills in my pocket. Every time I see a bell-ringer, I pull one of those dollars out and put it in the kettle. :heart:

My family shared similar stories. They said the Red Cross used to charge them for food, smokes etc... and that the Salvation Army gave them what they needed. Many of my family would never give blood to the Red Cross unless it was to repay the blood bank in a specific persons name. I wonder how much this perception has cost the Red Cross over the last 75 years.

Last edited:

Me too. I make it a point to find a red kettle every year. And if I can't, I give the money to my daughter to do it for me. They always have a kettle right outside the Registry office where she works every year. They paid for both me and my sister to go to summer camp every year.

Spike's godfather once told me that the SA were always there with doughnuts and coffee for not only the American military but their English comrades in arms during WWII. The Red Cross charged the men. When his daughter gave her 10 cents for her milk money to the Red Cross in school, he went to the school and demanded the dime back. He was furious. He ripped the little pin they gave her. According to him that was more than they every gave him while he served in England.

When Spike's godmother's sister got burnt out, the RC put the family up in a motel for three nights, and then helped them with furniture. Six months later they got a bill from them. I don't know what their practices are today, but I do remember after 911, they wanted to put the millions of dollars into the general fund rather than continue to help families that needed it. And the paperwork was horrendous for the victims. And then there was Katrina.

If anyone has a story regarding the RC that is a happy one, I would love to hear it. Because all through my life I have never heard a good word about them. And in the same breath, I have never heard a bad word about the Salvation Army. :angel:

My family shared similar stories. They said the Red Cross used to charge them for food, smokes etc... and that the Salvation Army gave them what they needed. Many of my family would never give blood to the Red Cross unless it was to repay the blood bank in a specific persons name. I wonder how much this perception has cost the Red Cross over the last 75 years.

I was born in 1939 and I needed blood as an infant of 4 months old. My father was my match. The hospital wanted him to go to the RC, but he refused. They were already developing a bad reputation then. He made the hospital do it right there. I had to have a transfusion two years ago and I refused. I told the doctor that I refused to get any blood from the Red Cross. There had been several stories in the news of them having to pay very large fines for sending bad blood to hospitals and not keeping it under proper refrigeration. He informed me that BMC does not use blood from them. They have their own blood bank and I would be receiving blood from the hospital. Mass General has a 24 hour facility for donating blood for family members along with other hospitals in Boston.

I wonder if Clara Barton is turning over in her grave today. :angel:

I am sitting here with the TV on mute and have a disc in my computer tower of Strauss waltzes while sitting here at the computer. I have been awake since 2 a.m. and I have never gotten out of the habit of keeping the house quiet as if there were still people sleeping. Don't know why. I live alone. You would think after ten or more years I would be over it. I guess lifetime habits are hard to break.

I came across the "Favorite recipes of DC member." Read the whole thread.

I have some of those Commander hooks on the side of my computer desk. It is to keep all the wires hung up. I keep the headphones plugged in along with a few other items. I was forever tripping over the wires. I keep my camera on the desk and it is always in the way. I just looked and noticed that Spike hung it up there out of the way. What a clever kid.

I thought I bought a couple of pie crusts to make an apple pie. I got the apples, but forgot the crusts. So tomorrow I will have to make my own. :angel:

I appreciate the posts re donating items -- I'll be looking up the nearest Salvation Army donation place. Goodwill seems to have gotten too big for its britches, adding new buildings when imo the money could be better used. I've heard some uncomplimentary stories about the higher-ups' salaries, too. On balance, I think I'll go with Sally or the Vets.

Already this morning I've boxed up some glassware and a nice set of dishes that I've never used. Still suffering from "but-what-if-I-need-it-itis" in the gadget department.

I appreciate the posts re donating items -- I'll be looking up the nearest Salvation Army donation place. Goodwill seems to have gotten too big for its britches, adding new buildings when imo the money could be better used. I've heard some uncomplimentary stories about the higher-ups' salaries, too. On balance, I think I'll go with Sally or the Vets.

Already this morning I've boxed up some glassware and a nice set of dishes that I've never used. Still suffering from "but-what-if-I-need-it-itis" in the gadget department.

Put the "what-ifs" in a box and write the date on it. Set the box in the garage and if you need an item go retrieve it. In six months take the box to the thrift shop and donate it. I guarantee you will not need any of the items and you will not miss them! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom