What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just finished making a little goodie for my best friend of over 60 years. She sews; has since she was a little girl. I swear the thing she uses as a pin cushion must have belonged to Neanderthal Man. It's some sort of canning jar lid, stuffed with something or other and taped around the perimeter to keep the fabric covering the stuffing from spilling out. It's quite primitive and, nor surprising, worn.

I've been kicking around an idea for one for her for a while so I headed out to my studio and put it together. Turned out better than I'd envisioned.

Total cost was 25 cents because I bought the cup and saucer at a local thrift store. Everything else came from my "stash," even the tatted doily on the bottom. It had some tears and breaks in it so using it this way allows her to enjoy it but not have to baby it. She loves things with tatting on them, old china and old buttons so it fits her fairly well. For a little more interest, I added an old thimble and an old-fashioned needle threader and some colorful pins.

What's the verdict?

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 156
I just finished making a little goodie for my best friend of over 60 years. She sews; has since she was a little girl. I swear the thing she uses as a pin cushion must have belonged to Neanderthal Man. It's some sort of canning jar lid, stuffed with something or other and taped around the perimeter to keep the fabric covering the stuffing from spilling out. It's quite primitive and, nor surprising, worn.

I've been kicking around an idea for one for her for a while so I headed out to my studio and put it together. Turned out better than I'd envisioned.

Total cost was 25 cents because I bought the cup and saucer at a local thrift store. Everything else came from my "stash," even the tatted doily on the bottom. It had some tears and breaks in it so using it this way allows her to enjoy it but not have to baby it. She loves things with tatting on them, old china and old buttons so it fits her fairly well. For a little more interest, I added an old thimble and an old-fashioned needle threader and some colorful pins.

What's the verdict?

So cute, Katie! Maybe you or some other DCer can answer a kinda-sorta related question: I'm thinking of doing a cross-stitch as a Christmas gift. I've never tried it -- would you happen to know if there is a learning curve or can a complete beginner turn out a decent item? TIA.

Cross stitch is very easy, I even taught DH how to do it. Start with a simple pattern.

Super cute pin cushion, Katie!

Last edited:
So cute, Katie! Maybe you or some other DCer can answer a kinda-sorta related question: I'm thinking of doing a cross-stitch as a Christmas gift. I've never tried it -- would you happen to know if there is a learning curve or can a complete beginner turn out a decent item? TIA.

No. It's as easy as pie. No learning curve at all, unless not doing it is considered a learning curve.

I love it. It's quick, easy and, when you put it down, you don't have to remember what row/round you are on. Plus, it's very portable so it can be done anywhere.

Go for it. It's fun.

What's the verdict?

Absolutely sweet and beautiful, as well as practical and thoughtful.

Brilliant, Katie!

Katie, I love that pincushion! You could probably sell them at a gift shop.

It's halftime in the Buckeyes/Spartans game. Our Bucks are up by seven! Sure hope OSU wins. See you later when the game is over.

Several years ago DH bought a shower chair at a flea market. He said he was going to use it for fishing. He never did, but when I had my heart surgery we put it to good use. I was very glad we had it. By the time I came home from the hospital, he had removed the shower head and replaced it with one that you could detach and use as a hand held. I sat on the little shower chair and he bathed me, then rinsed me off with the hand held shower head. Very sweet. He also attached a bar on the tub that helped me get on and off the toilet. Since that time, he added some grab bars...one going horizontally above the soap dish and the other one vertically where I step out of the shower. It does make me feel much safer. I friend recently got a concussion when she slipped in the shower.

Carol, does the hand held one rest on a slide bar?

Moen 3867 Four Function Massaging Handshower with Slide Bar, Chrome - Hand Held Showerheads - Amazon.com

There are cheap ones and very expensive ones. This one has four spray adjustments like mine does.

Spike installed one of these for me when I first moved in. It can be adjusted for tall or short folks. I love it. It attaches to the pipe where the shower head was originally. Way up by the ceiling. When maintenance saw it, they decided to install these anytime there was a request. The also liked the grab bar placed just outside the tub. I can hold on to it when stepping out.

Our toilets are low and for me it is easy to get up. At least my feet touch the floor when sitting. :angel:

I suppose I could but I retired 5 years ago and I enjoy "playing" and creating without any pressure.

Thanks for your praise.

Katie, I went to the church fair today. You would be surprised at the pin cushions I saw there. And all made from scraps. I still have one that I bought there more than ten years ago. They all cost just one dollar, but every year they are a sell out. And all the money goes to the ministry activities of the church. They only cost $1.50 each.

Today, I bought two autumn theme kitchen towels for my grandson. It is a housewarming gift and will be useful for their first holiday meal with company in their new home. They don't match their kitchen theme, but that was not my intention. It goes with the Thanksgiving theme. And they both had hand stitching on the end with the fold over flap and button. The two of them cost me the grand sum of $5.00. :angel:

Last edited:
Katie, I love that pincushion! You could probably sell them at a gift shop.

It's halftime in the Buckeyes/Spartans game. Our Bucks are up by seven! Sure hope OSU wins. See you later when the game is over.

So how did the game go? The Pirate went to New York/New Jersey to see some college game. There were about 50 men. It was a Men's Only" weekend. The whole trip cost each one just $300.00 free meals and tickets to the game included. Not a bad deal. He should be back In Mass. by tonight. :angel:

Addie, it's been a great football weekend at Chez Goddess! Our OSU Buckeyes won 49-37. Then, to put the icing on the cake, the lowly New York Jets beat the Browns arch-rival, the Pittsburgh Steelers! For the first time in something like two decades, the Browns are leading their division. So THIS is what it's like to be a Patriot's fan? I'm not used to my football team winning. :LOL: I sure wish pac was coming around though. We could celebrate together! Miss the guy...

What am I doing?.....communicating in a spiritual chat room - it's how I spend a lot of my time! :)

Addie, it's been a great football weekend at Chez Goddess! Our OSU Buckeyes won 49-37. Then, to put the icing on the cake, the lowly New York Jets beat the Browns arch-rival, the Pittsburgh Steelers! For the first time in something like two decades, the Browns are leading their division. So THIS is what it's like to be a Patriot's fan? I'm not used to my football team winning. :LOL: I sure wish pac was coming around though. We could celebrate together! Miss the guy...

Well you are a true football fan. You are there win or lose. But it is so sweet when you have the #1 team in your town and they win almost every game.

Boston is one of the few cities that have hockey, football, basketball, baseball and soccer championship teams. And it isn't even just Boston that supports these teams. These teams belong to New England. Fans from the most northern part of Maine come down at least once a year to see a game in person. They gather a bunch of friends and they make it a whole day trip and come down on a bus. Over and over again you will hear players state that the fans in Boston are like no other city. Just look at the stands. There are no empty seats. We sure do love our teams! :angel:

No, this is not what it's like. You have to actually win something like one, two or three Super Bowls.:angel::angel:

Baby steps Andy. Baby steps. :LOL: I just keep reminding myself that the New England teams pretty much stank before we moved here in 2000. Since then, you guys have been collecting trophies left and right. We move here=Your teams win. Coincidence? Hmm...maybe, maybe not. :LOL:

Baby steps Andy. Baby steps. :LOL: I just keep reminding myself that the New England teams pretty much stank before we moved here in 2000. Since then, you guys have been collecting trophies left and right. We move here=Your teams win. Coincidence? Hmm...maybe, maybe not. :LOL:

Maybe you could hang around for a while longer...

The Golden Age of Boston Sports is, without a doubt, the period from the turn of the millenium to now. It's never been this great for all the major sports at the same time before now.

Looks like the Browns could make the playoffs this season. Maybe they'll play the Patriots in the AFC championship game.

It's been a busy day for me. First, the doctor for my annual review and getting my prescriptions renewed for the next six months. Blood tests to see how some of the meds have been working.

Then, it was off to Walmart to pickup new prescriptions and some printer ink I was completely out of.

I made it home with cab fare, a few groceries, and 98¢ left in the bank!

I'm taking it easy and having some dinner.

The 98¢ isn't a problem. I have books on order and some new reading glasses. Other than that, I have everything else I need. If not, I'll make do.

Back
Top Bottom