What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm working on my grocery lists for tomorrow's shopping spree. By tomorrow afternoon, I'll be able to indulge in my favorite time of planning recipes and working on getting all the meats and produce prepped and frozen or cooked.

I went to Gastro yesterday. I am scheduled for a Barium study later this month. This morning I am going shopping. I received a $21 increase in my food stamps due to winter heating costs. I don't know how they figured that. I don't pay for my heat, but I am not complaining. Right now I will take what ever help I can get.

It is 5 a.m. and I need to be ready by 7 a.m. :angel:

It never sounds like you eat enough to use up your food stamps, Addie, but I guess with your boys being there so much you need that extra food. My brother-in-law is eligible for food stamps but won't apply. He's eligible for a lot of things he won't apply for. I don't know why. He worked all his life and paid taxes. In fact, he still works a little part time job and is still paying taxes. He would rather live so frugally instead of taking what he calls hand-outs.

I bought this little fountain at Goodwill today. I'm going to put it on my coffee table for the holidays. It didn't have the directions in the box so I googled to make sure I was using the right amount of water and putting it in the right place. In the directions it said "empty the water from the fountain before turning upside down to change the batteries." Well DUH! It's a good thing they told me that!!! LOL

Sarah Peyton LED Candle Water Fountain - Overstock™ Shopping - Great Deals on Indoor Fountains

That's cute, Carol! Hope you got a good deal. Oh, and the comment about "emptying water..." is probably for movers. When my cousin moved from Chicago to Minnesota years ago I remember her telling us the movers packed everything as-is..including a vase with flowers and water still IN it! :ermm: Thanks to her learning experience, I made sure all of our stuff was packing ready when we moved here. However, I didn't know the movers were going to turn my dresser on its side. :huh: All my boxes of fashion jewelry opened and spilled. I was untangling earrings and chains for months! Next move, I'm packing all of our clean towels into the dresser drawers. That way there should be no chance of contents shifting. I hope.

That's cute, Carol! Hope you got a good deal. Oh, and the comment about "emptying water..." is probably for movers. When my cousin moved from Chicago to Minnesota years ago I remember her telling us the movers packed everything as-is..including a vase with flowers and water still IN it! :ermm: Thanks to her learning experience, I made sure all of our stuff was packing ready when we moved here. However, I didn't know the movers were going to turn my dresser on its side. :huh: All my boxes of fashion jewelry opened and spilled. I was untangling earrings and chains for months! Next move, I'm packing all of our clean towels into the dresser drawers. That way there should be no chance of contents shifting. I hope.

I got it for $2, so I think that's a good deal. I will probably just use it for something different over the holidays. I have other decor for every day. I love Goodwill!

I bought this little fountain at Goodwill today. I'm going to put it on my coffee table for the holidays. It didn't have the directions in the box so I googled to make sure I was using the right amount of water and putting it in the right place. In the directions it said "empty the water from the fountain before turning upside down to change the batteries." Well DUH! It's a good thing they told me that!!! LOL

Sarah Peyton LED Candle Water Fountain - Overstock™ Shopping - Great Deals on Indoor Fountains

That's really pretty. You could put some small ornaments or bits of tinsel in among the rocks, or instead of the rocks, to sparkle it up for the holidays :santa:

Usually when there are stupid directions for appliances, it's because some stupid person did it and then complained to the company about it :rolleyes: The manual for my stove advised not standing on the open oven door because the oven would tip over :ermm: :LOL:

GG, that is so funny about the oven door! I see all kinds of stupid directions. I had a friend in high school whose mother was electracuted with the hairdryer while taking a bath. That's a warning I see often.

Because the section with the rocks is the reservoir for the water, I have to be careful what I put in there. I could use some small plastic flowers, like poinsettias, or maybe I will just put a wreath or something on the table with the little fountain in the middle. I have a large octagon shaped coffee table. When I finally figure out what I'm going to do I will post a picture.

I have an attic full of Christmas decor, but can't use much of it anymore. We used to have shelves that separated our living room and dining room but we took them out and now just have an open floor plan. We also used to have a large entertainment center, and now we only have a small glass stand for the flat screen TV. So I don't have as many places to put things out. Some day I will let the kids pick out what they want and donate the rest.

I have an attic full of Christmas decor, but can't use much of it anymore. We used to have shelves that separated our living room and dining room but we took them out and now just have an open floor plan. We also used to have a large entertainment center, and now we only have a small glass stand for the flat screen TV. So I don't have as many places to put things out. Some day I will let the kids pick out what they want and donate the rest.

The less you put out, the less you have to take down after the holidays. :angel:

The less you put out, the less you have to take down after the holidays. :angel:

Yes, I'm finding that out, Addie. I have to be very alert when DH decides to take down the Christmas decorations. When I do it, I plainly mark each box so we know what's in them next year. He has a habit of throwing everything together, in the wrong boxes, some things just in bags, then next year we can't find anything. He must have done that last year because when he got out the lights for outside, they were all tangled up. He gave them to ME to untangle. If I had put them away, each string would have been rolled up separately, and the box clearly marked "outside lights."

Years ago we had an old damask tablecloth that had belonged to his grandmother. It was tattered, but we used it as a tree skirt under the tree. It had sentimental value. When we put the tree away, we put the tablecloth in the box with the tree. The next year we bought a bigger fake tree and he sold the old one for a couple dollars. Away went his grandmother's tablecloth in the box with the tree. I wanted to kill him. (Please don't notify the authorities. I would not really "kill" him. He tends to be entertaining at times!)

I got one of my Christmas presents yesterday. My Mr. Coffee maker died. I have had it for many years and it was time it to go to it final resting place. So The Pirate bought me a Zojirushi. It is made in Switzerland. It has a metal carafe and no hot plate. And it shuts itself off when done dripping. I am having a problem with my camera. I took a pic, and as soon as I can upload it I will. A pot was made at 11 last night, and at six this morning, the coffee was still hot. I love it! I also got something else I needed desperately. New nightgowns. I have had my presents ones for nine years or so. So worn thin, you could see through them. :angel:

Maybe your sons were getting tired of being able to see through your old nightgowns. But then, one of them, at least, likes to walk in on you in the bathroom, so maybe that's not the case.

Addie, I am never going to let you forget that story! LOL

I'm glad you got a coffee maker that you like.

Maybe your sons were getting tired of being able to see through your old nightgowns. But then, one of them, at least, likes to walk in on you in the bathroom, so maybe that's not the case.

Addie, I am never going to let you forget that story! LOL

I'm glad you got a coffee maker that you like.

Gee thanks Carol. A true blue friend indeed. It seems like every day it is a new complaint with me. Today, it is an UTI. So much joy. The Pirate got me a flannel nightgown with long sleeves. It is so warm. I think I am going to order me some more. The Pirate went through all of mine and tossed most of them in the trash. He bought some made of just cotton. Their fine, but just not as warm as I need them for the winter. :angel:

I remember one Christmas, during my working years, I was so busy the tree stayed up until St. Patrick's day! It was a real tree and it looked fine until I began taking the ornaments off of it. By the time I was finished it was just a wooden skeleton! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

These days I put out a ceramic tree, a nativity set, my wooden Santa Claus riding a pig and a stuffed shark swallowing poor Santa Claus! For me it is more about the memories than the decorating. The last two things help remind me of how commercial Christmas has become. :(

1_ede7d4c3b6a6c80ee38498313f4471a3.jpg

I remember one Christmas, during my working years, I was so busy the tree stayed up until St. Patrick's day! It was a real tree and it looked fine until I began taking the ornaments off of it. By the time I was finished it was just a wooden skeleton! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

These days I put out a ceramic tree, a nativity set, my wooden Santa Claus riding a pig and a stuffed shark swallowing poor Santa Claus! For me it is more about the memories than the decorating. The last two things help remind me of how commercial Christmas has become. :(

1_ede7d4c3b6a6c80ee38498313f4471a3.jpg

I have a Bah Humbug large sign that I hang on my door. I gave all my Christmas stuff to the Building. They now come out only at Christmas time. And I don't have to put them away. :angel:

Rereading the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series. I just started the last book, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest and even though it's bedtime, I just don't feel like putting it down.

My shopping is all done, everything is put away. Tomorrow I'll have a few things to prep for the freezer.

I've had two "days" since I got up this morning around 10. I was buzzing along, doing two loads of laundry and a bit of decorating, sorted through one of two boxes of Christmas ornaments...and then KaPow! Started to burp a funny taste up, muscles started to ache (kinda hard to tell if it's a bug or age catching up with me...) and couldn't warm up. Self-medicating with a Boubon/honey/lemon hot toddy, extra strong. I'll pour myself into bed shortly and hope for a miracle when I get up in the morning. Got a Date Night with my honey on Friday. The community theatre I did a few shows at is running "Inspecting Carol" this weekend. It's a spoof version of "A Christmas Carol" and features a bunch of people I know.

And the less you have to enjoy during the holidays.
I'm with you GG. No live tree since we'll be spending the holiday with the kids back home, but I figure on having three trees up before we leave. I have the 6-foot one in the sunroom, lights already on, and a box of ornaments to hang when the sun warms the room - probably tomorrow. Also putting 5-foot alpine tree in the family room by the fireplace, and a 3-foot alpine on the window seat in the living room, along with an assortment of other holiday items. Lots of other things spread around too, putting the everyday items into the box that the Christmas things come from. Then around the 6th of January I start putting it all back. The obvious Santa things are first, but the trees, angels and winter items might be out until after Valentine's Day. After all, as long as it's white and red it should be OK, right? :whistling

The obvious Santa things are first, but the trees, angels and winter items might be out until after Valentine's Day. After all, as long as it's white and red it should be OK, right? :whistling

I agree CG, I like to leave a few
"winter related" things out for a while after Christmas. I just make sure the "holiday" items are put away the first week of January. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom