What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finally know what is setting off these bouts of not sleeping. I have neuropathy in the leg where I had a very large skin graft placed. In the middle of the night my leg will start acting up and my sleep gets interrupted. I end up having to get up, take 8 mgs. of gabapentin and stand until it kicks in. That can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 45 minutes. By then I am wide awake and am off to a round of not sleeping at nights for a week or even longer. Before you know it, I am in a vicious cycle. Up for 24 hours or longer, sleep around the clock or longer. Drives me crazy. I am now getting smarter in scheduling my medical appointments.

I try to make them for the afternoon. But this is not always possible. My cardio only sees patients in the morning, and my cardio vascular doctor has afternoon patients. If I didn't have so many medical appointments, it wouldn't bother me. One good thing that all this crazy weather is doing, is making it impossible to keep any appointments. All appointments have been cancelled until further notice. Yea! It gives me time to deal with this crazy problem. I can't even make it to Winthrop. Just too much dang snow. Vehicles can barely get in and out of our driveway. There is just no place to put anymore snow. So while they work on that problem, I will work on mine. :angel:

Helpful hint with the Gabapentin, you should take it every night before bed, not wait until your leg gets twitchy. Avoid the problem, don't wait until it happens, that's why it takes so long for it to work and you lose sleep.

Mom swore gabapentin didn't work very well for her, she was only taking it when her pain was a 7 or 8 out of 10, once she started taking it regularly it worked wonders, her pain never got over a 5 out of ten. If this is a benefit to you and scheduling it works, tell your doctor and get a regular prescription instead of an as needed.

As for Insomnia, it is more common in women and tied to hormonal cycles, then completely goes nuts once we hit menopause.

I love my Gabapentin. I found that it works best when I take them 3 X day. The nervous legs and itchy feet are caused by too many carbs. If I don't eat any, I can actually skip a pill or two, but when I do take in carbs, it's best to stay ahead of the game.

If you wait until the twichiness starts, it can be hard to get ahead of it.

Use your Gaby! Regular use will save you so much aggravation and frustration.

I love my Gabapentin. I found that it works best when I take them 3 X day. The nervous legs and itchy feet are caused by too many carbs. If I don't eat any, I can actually skip a pill or two, but when I do take in carbs, it's best to stay ahead of the game.

If you wait until the twichiness starts, it can be hard to get ahead of it.

Use your Gaby! Regular use will save you so much aggravation and frustration.

The most I have ever been prescribed was 64 mgs. a day. Little by little I was brought down to 8 mgs a day. I recently was increased to 16 mgs a day. And it does make a difference. I have already taken my morning ones. Almost time for the noon dose.

That little trick you told us about taking pills by tucking your head down has made taking those capsules so much easier. I don't even know I swallowed them. Thank you so much PF.

My doctor keeps asking me if I have any neuropathy in my feet due to the diabetes. Nope. But I sure have it in my leg from the wound and graft. I was horrified when I first looked it up and saw it was for seizures. I don't have seizures. Then thinking on it, I sure do. Just watch what my leg can do if I don't take that gabapentin. I can dance a one legged jig in my sound sleep. :angel:

I took gabapentin for shingles after the need for narcotics was gone. It helped. Once the pain became manageable I quit taking it. The DR wanted DH to take it for his shingles but he wouldn't take it because it was for seizures. He thought it would CAUSE seizures. He takes very little meds other than his BP pills.

I took gabapentin for shingles after the need for narcotics was gone. It helped. Once the pain became manageable I quit taking it. The DR wanted DH to take it for his shingles but he wouldn't take it because it was for seizures. He thought it would CAUSE seizures. He takes very little meds other than his BP pills.

The pain from shingles is similar to that of a seizure, just like my leg pain. It is intense at first, then calms down just like any part of the body would do in having a seizure. Then it comes back and repeats. Just like a seizure would do. But it certainly doesn't mean you are having a seizure. It is the pain that is having the seizure. :angel:

The most I have ever been prescribed was 64 mgs. a day. Little by little I was brought down to 8 mgs a day. I recently was increased to 16 mgs a day. And it does make a difference. I have already taken my morning ones. Almost time for the noon dose.

That little trick you told us about taking pills by tucking your head down has made taking those capsules so much easier. I don't even know I swallowed them. Thank you so much PF.

My doctor keeps asking me if I have any neuropathy in my feet due to the diabetes. Nope. But I sure have it in my leg from the wound and graft. I was horrified when I first looked it up and saw it was for seizures. I don't have seizures. Then thinking on it, I sure do. Just watch what my leg can do if I don't take that gabapentin. I can dance a one legged jig in my sound sleep. :angel:

Your doctor must be child dosing you, because the normal dosage is 100-300 mg three times a day, (for 300-900 mg total in a day).

Saw an ad for nurses at Winthrop...long commute for me:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Your doctor must be child dosing you, because the normal dosage is 100-300 mg three times a day, (for 300-900 mg total in a day).

Saw an ad for nurses at Winthrop...long commute for me:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Great place to work if you are desperate for a job with the elderly and most of them in advance Alzheimer's. They do have a lot of patients that go there each day for day care and some only a couple of days a week. And then there are those like me that go once a month for a vitals check. If I have recently been to the hospital for any reason, I have to report in to Winthrop when I am released. It is a super great program for the elderly. But for patients like me, it can be invasive at times. They have finally taken my word that if I feel that anything is wrong, I will let them know immediately and call for transportation to take me to Winthrop. I am one of the very few patients that do not need all of their services.

My doctor does have to keep in mind that I am a lot shorter than a lot of kids. And with my recent weight loss also has to be kept in mind. I was 160 pounds when all of this started. I am now 125 lbs. 4'7" and 125 is just about child size and weight.

At one time I had to have my BP meds drastically reduced because the doctor in the hospital didn't take any of the info into consideration. Dang near killed me when I kept passing out right after I would take my BP meds. My BP would plummet. Fortunately I was in the hospital for a pre-op workup when it once happened. The last words I heard were "Do we have a crash cart?" :angel:

PF, I have to say one thing for Winthrop. In the eight years I have been going there, I have NEVER seen any of the aides or nurses lose their patience with any of the patients. They have never raised their voice or treated them roughly. Every patient there is treated as if it were their very own mother or father. When Alzheimer patients reach the violent stage, they are immediately removed from the community and placed in the section for just them. I once had one slap me really hard across the face. My first reaction was to slap her back, but I knew better. I just called for one of the nurses and off she went. Behind locked doors. Never to be seen again. :angel:

Great place to work if you are desperate for a job with the elderly and most of them in advance Alzheimer's. They do have a lot of patients that go there each day for day care and some only a couple of days a week. And then there are those like me that go once a month for a vitals check. If I have recently been to the hospital for any reason, I have to report in to Winthrop when I am released. It is a super great program for the elderly. But for patients like me, it can be invasive at times. They have finally taken my word that if I feel that anything is wrong, I will let them know immediately and call for transportation to take me to Winthrop. I am one of the very few patients that do not need all of their services.

My doctor does have to keep in mind that I am a lot shorter than a lot of kids. And with my recent weight loss also has to be kept in mind. I was 160 pounds when all of this started. I am now 125 lbs. 4'7" and 125 is just about child size and weight.

At one time I had to have my BP meds drastically reduced because the doctor in the hospital didn't take any of the info into consideration. Dang near killed me when I kept passing out right after I would take my BP meds. My BP would plummet. Fortunately I was in the hospital for a pre-op workup when it once happened. The last words I heard were "Do we have a crash cart?" :angel:

That's why I responded as I did, I knew that your smaller size would make a difference from normal dosing.

Winthrop is on the wrong side of the Mississippi...:rolleyes:

Just went out and got the mail. My new full body snorkel skin arrived, or so I thought. The package felt really light, so I was pleased, thinking it would pack really well. Got inside to find the whole top edge of the padded envelope was ripped, and there was NOTHING inside! Called the post office just in case there was a wetsuit lying on the floor there, nope. Called the company, they're sending me another one, and filing a claim with USPS. Turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be.

What rotten scoundrels, Dawg! Any chance you could put Beagle on guard duty? The crook could use a new ankle decoration. :brows:

Glad to hear you shouldn't have any trouble getting what you paid for. Nothing sadder than buying something, only to find out you're stuck with the cost of someone else's deed.

I'm cruising the web, stalling until it's time for my weekly Tom Selleck fix. :yum: Hope I can stay awake during "Blue Bloods". So far I've logged two morning I wake up at 6:30 AM, way too early for someone who goes to be between 3-4. Ended up falling asleep today a little after 9. Didn't want to get out of bed - I had done that yesterday, back and forth from hall to bedroom, finally going to the kitchen for a cuppa and a few graham crackers. Himself was sleeping lightly and heard my every move. Fingers crossed, we'll both sleep good tonight.

Sheesh, CG. This cold has lasted waaayy too long! Hope you and Himself get to feeling better soon, and that you can get some sleep!

Beagle is a lover, and is totally worthless as a guard dog. I'm not sure if the envelope with my wetsuit got caught on something that ripped it open, or if someone was looking for CC receipts. Or a new wetsuit. It apparently happened in transit from CA.

Last edited:
Thanks, Dawg. Colds like me. And I never get enough rest to begin with, so they hang on even longer. Himself just started with this about three days ago or so. Have no idea why they stay with him so long since he gets enough rest for the both of us. :glare:

If I wake up during the night and stay awake, I'm heading downstairs. If I make tea again I'll be sure to "season" it with a liberal amount of whiskey. :D

With temps in the single digits, SO and I went out to clear off our cars and move them so the plow can clear our parking spaces. Sadly, my battery was dead so SO had to give me a jump start. Then I rode around a bit to recharge the battery and warm up.

Now I'm enjoying a nice warm bowl of maple cinnamon oatmeal and a hot cup of coffee.

I have to go to a wake later for our property manager's mom.

Wonder why it's called a wake. It's not because they wake!
In this sense "wake" comes from the Old English word meaning "to watch over" or "to guard" and refers to the old tradition of keeping a vigil over the corpse the night before the burial and praying for the soul of the departed (and possibly to fend off evil spirits)

Nothing to do with waiting to see if the dead person wakes up.

(You can take the woman out of teaching but you can't take teaching out of the woman!)

Last edited:
Thank you Mad Cook for the explaination! Now, can anyone tell me what a "rampart" is?

It is the top of a wall in a military base where they shoot cannons and other large firearms from. Usually a wall surrounding the base. It is mainly a defensive wall for protecting those inside. There is usually a walkway at the top with cutouts for the armaments. Soldiers walk across the top and keep an eye out for invaders.

We have a couple of forts in Boston. They both have ramparts as they are located right on the water. The one out at George's Island was used during the Civil War for holding prisoners. During WWII for it was put back into military use for holding German prisoners. They also used the island as a focal point to find German subs right off shore of Boston. It has quite a history. I used to take my kids out there all summer long. You do have to take the Island ferry to get out and back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Island_(Massachusetts)#mediaviewer/File:Georgesisland.JPG :angel:

Last edited:
I'm sitting here this morning waiting for the phone to ring. My little Cheyenne (15 mo. old GD) is having surgery right now for her crossed eyes. My stomach is in knots thinking of her under general anesthesia. I don't dare go take a shower, so here I sit waiting for the phone to ring. I better get busy with something near the phone.

I'm sitting here this morning waiting for the phone to ring. My little Cheyenne (15 mo. old GD) is having surgery right now for her crossed eyes. My stomach is in knots thinking of her under general anesthesia. I don't dare go take a shower, so here I sit waiting for the phone to ring. I better get busy with something near the phone.

She is going to be fine. In fact you may not get a call until mother and child are home. So be patient. She is just barely put to sleep. And only to keep her still. They don't like to paralyze patients that small. Here eye has been numbed and she will have no pain when she wakes up. But she may be dang sleepy when they bring her out of it.

Go get some knitting or hand sewing while you wait. :angel:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom