What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not complaining, Addie. Just making an observation and I know only too well that our countrymen/women on our eastern coast are and have been experiencing far more challenges with this winter's weather. I have family in the Boston and Martha's Vineyard areas and, so far, they've been doing okay. I also have children in the Washington, DC region and they, too, are faring well.

I'm not a stranger to adverse and cold winter conditions. For many years I lived in far northern Minnesota near the Canadian border and learned how to manage in bitter cold.

Thankfully, here, we learned many good and hard lessons from our tragic ice storm of January 2009 and have applied them to our current situation. Glenn is also a fantastic thinker and is about the best I've ever encountered at being prepared for emergencies...of most any kind.

Unlike many I've heard from and read about, I don't get cabin fever. I truly love being in my "nest" and am never at a loss for something to keep me occupied. It will be two weeks soon since I've been out and I could care less, but that's just me.

Because we're always reasonably well-stocked with most every necessity, we really have no need to go to the store and are continuously amazed at the wild rush to get to the market before a storm hits. Thankfully, having a large family taught me resourcefulness and the value of having a full larder.

As a result of my, um, "confinement" I've enjoyed reading some books I'd set aside for someday, along with playing in the kitchen, which is a task Glenn never discourages. Wonder why that is?!:glare:

Last edited:
It just seems like the snow never stops. If it isn't snowing during the day, then it is snowing during the night. And with all the snow on the roofs, we have roofs caving all over the place. Five feet or more feet of snow on the roofs. No roof can hold that amount. Yesterday four people were buried in a snow sliding off a roof. More than five feet of snow. One was left with just her head sticking out and was able to call for help. The other three were completely buried. Fortunately there was a fire station just down the street. Before it came though passerby folks started to dig with their hands. One person across the street came running with his shovel. Two of the folks are in the hospital with serious injuries. One was buried for more than five minutes.

I can not recall when it was ever this bad. Even during the blizzard of 1978. Our transit system has never ground to a halt. But it has this winter. Not even during the blizzard of 1978. No matter what is wrong this year, it never happened in 1978. And I worked during that storm in 1978. The transit system found a way to run. Not this year. One train was filled to overcapacity. It couldn't make it through the snow on the tracks. The passengers sat and stood in the train for more than an hour. Then they were allowed to climb down steps and walk on only one side of the tracks because of the "third rail." Just a few thousand volts.

It just seems like we can't dig out, and then it is snowing again. And again. And again. Last night there was a fire at an Assisted Living for the Elderly. They were evacuated and had to stand out in the cold until a bus came so they could be warm. And it was snowing while they were standing there. :angel:

Thank you. I needed that. My daughter sent me some cartoons regarding snow. I did laugh, but since she sent them from work, it makes me worry. She drives to work on the South Shore and it is a reasonably long drive. I made up an emergency kit for her. It contains a warm blanket, radio with flashing light, etc. The road that she has to drive on is known for bad weather accidents. :angel:

I'm off to the theatre in Manchester tonight to see "Top Hat". It got rave reviews when it was on in London and the clips on U Tube look very good.

I wonder if the shades of Fred and Ginger will be in the audience with us.
Got home at 11.30pm. The show was absolutely fabulous! You couldn't fault the singing, the dancing, the choreography and the costumes and sets. One or two of the American accents were a bit wobbly but we can forgive them that in view of the rest of it. The cast included some who were well known from television shows but not to me as I don't watch television.

I rather think that there were one or two songs that weren't in the film but it was "based on" rather than a copy of the film. They were Irving Berlin songs so I think I'll let them off that.

The best bit was that the tickets were half price through Amazon, the train to Manchester and back was free because I could use my old biddies' travel pass, the bus across Manchester was also free service so all I had to pay over and above the theatre ticket was the taxi back to the station in order to catch my train home. Oh, and a delicious tub of ginger ice cream.

It just seems like the snow never stops. If it isn't snowing during the day, then it is snowing during the night. And with all the snow on the roofs, we have roofs caving all over the place. Five feet or more feet of snow on the roofs. No roof can hold that amount. Yesterday four people were buried in a snow sliding off a roof. More than five feet of snow. One was left with just her head sticking out and was able to call for help. The other three were completely buried. Fortunately there was a fire station just down the street. Before it came though passerby folks started to dig with their hands. One person across the street came running with his shovel. Two of the folks are in the hospital with serious injuries. One was buried for more than five minutes.

I can not recall when it was ever this bad. Even during the blizzard of 1978. Our transit system has never ground to a halt. But it has this winter. Not even during the blizzard of 1978. No matter what is wrong this year, it never happened in 1978. And I worked during that storm in 1978. The transit system found a way to run. Not this year. One train was filled to overcapacity. It couldn't make it through the snow on the tracks. The passengers sat and stood in the train for more than an hour. Then they were allowed to climb down steps and walk on only one side of the tracks because of the "third rail." Just a few thousand volts.

It just seems like we can't dig out, and then it is snowing again. And again. And again. Last night there was a fire at an Assisted Living for the Elderly. They were evacuated and had to stand out in the cold until a bus came so they could be warm. And it was snowing while they were standing there. :angel:
You must all be getting our bad weather as well as your own. After the snow recently it has been relatively warm with sun for 3 days. pouring with rain today (Thursday) though.

Did my grocery run today. I decided last week to switch from Friday to Thursday, what with the run of weekend weather events we've had this year. Must be a good, new plan, since I've had pretty clear sailing through the store for two weeks now.

Katie, I'm like you. I'll happily nest summer or winter. However, we go through a lot of fresh produce and dairy every week, so I have to head out to replenish at least those items. So far, the fresh air hasn't killed me. ;)

I've just discovered/invented a simple sweet treat. Green & Black have changed their milk chocolate (feels dumbed down) so I was stumped for a weekend treat for a while.

Today I bought a block of marzipan for a recipe (making a crumble mixture and grating marzipan into it). So I had the idea that this sweet marzipan might go well with a good plain chocolate - I got the 85% organic plain choc. Normally I would make sweets by dipping balls of marzipan into melted choc to set. However, I found that eating little bits of the marzipan and combining it with a square or 2 of the chocolate works just as well! (The mouth combining the two nicely!) :yum: A kind of deconstructed chocolate marzipan!

Last edited:
Resting, I have managed to get "Walking Pneumonia" again. Had a fun night with a ride in the ambulance since Shrek cannot drive at night and I was hallucinating from fever. Then, there I was in the ER with a prescription and being sent home...called a cab. I was dressed in a nightgown, long sweater and my Merrells, with my wallet on a string. No keys. Shrek was sitting by the door when I got home to let me in, he'd been sitting there for 3 hours.

Resting, I have managed to get "Walking Pneumonia" again. Had a fun night with a ride in the ambulance since Shrek cannot drive at night and I was hallucinating from fever. Then, there I was in the ER with a prescription and being sent home...called a cab. I was dressed in a nightgown, long sweater and my Merrells, with my wallet on a string. No keys. Shrek was sitting by the door when I got home to let me in, he'd been sitting there for 3 hours.

Oh no! ((((Hugs)))). Glad you're home!

Thanks guys. And it was a Mercedes-Benz Ambulance...I finally got a ride in a Mercedes.:LOL:

Things come in threes, I'm waiting for the third shoe to drop. Friday was Shrek's 2 week follow up since his laser eye surgery to tack up his torn retina. The doc took one look in there yesterday and said it wasnt taking and we spent 45 minutes setting up Retinal Surgery for Monday. When it rains it snows...

Last edited:
Aren't ambulance rides fun? I know I am getting sick of it. I woke up today from a nap with some nasty pain in my left arm. Thought for sure I was due to another trip. Took just one hit of the nitro spray. Took care of the problem.

So glad you are all right. Stop going out with just a sweater on. Do I have to yell at your for a change?

So did you hallucinate anything worth seeing? I love that Shrek was sitting by the door waiting for you. Sounds like that guy loves you. :angel:

Last edited:
Thanks guys. And it was a Mercedes-Benz Ambulance...I finally got a ride in a Mercedes.:LOL:

Things come in threes, I'm waiting for the third shoe to drop. Friday was Shrek's 2 week follow up since his laser eye surgery to tack up his torn retina. The doc took one look in there yesterday and said it wasnt taking and we spent 45 minutes setting up Retinal Surgery for Monday. When it rains it snows...

Yikes, princess! Glad you're home. Sending strong healing thoughts to both of you. Has your foot healed yet? :ohmy::ermm:

Aren't ambulance rides fun? I know I am getting sick of it. I woke up today from a nap with some nasty pain in my left arm. Thought for sure I was due to another trip. Took just one hit of the nitro spray. Took care of the problem.

So glad you are all right. Stop going out with just a sweater on. Do I have to yell at your for a change?

So did you hallucinate anything worth seeing? I love that Shrek was sitting by the door waiting for you. Sounds like that guy loves you. :angel:

From what I understand I said, "It's too hot Daddy, I can't stay here, I'm burning up Daddy." When I was quite young, Dad and I were on our way to Denver in August and the car died, we were 10 miles away from the nearest services. It was very hot and there was no way I would be able to make the trek. Daddy left me in the car with the windows partially down and told me to lay down in the back. He made it back with the tow truck, but I was already in heat shock moving on to heat stroke. I think this is where that hallucination came from.

I also have a baseline body temperature of 96.4, since that episode of heat stroke. My body thermometer is broken. So when I go to the doctor and I have a temp of 98.6 or 98.8 I am considered to not have a rising temp. Even doctors forget that 98.6 is an average, people have baseline temps that are unique to them. I was at 102.6 when I got to the hospital last night.

Oh Good Grief.
55861413_400x400_180.png

How sweet of your dear Shrek to be waiting for you by the door. :heart: But you'd better suck it up and start wearing something a little more substantial than a sweater on sub-freezing days. You don't need to end up with "Flat-on-your-Back Pneumonia"! Take care and get well soon.

Oh Good Grief.
55861413_400x400_180.png

How sweet of your dear Shrek to be waiting for you by the door. :heart: But you'd better suck it up and start wearing something a little more substantial than a sweater on sub-freezing days. You don't need to end up with "Flat-on-your-Back Pneumonia"! Take care and get well soon.

The sweater was because Shrek made me put it on, I think he made me put the Merrells on too, otherwise I would have walked out in my nightgown. It was just a light drizzle out and it felt good. They could not get a gurney into our apartment, so it was a good thing I was ambulatory, even if I was out of my head.

Oh dear, bet your darling ogre was about beside himself! So glad you're OK!

Yes, he was very upset there was nothing he could do. He did check my temp, take my blood pressure, check my pulse and Oxygen levels and had them all written down for the EMT's. He says I told him what to do...nag, nag, nag even when I can't think straight.

Back
Top Bottom