What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is your planting season? Were I live we don't put plants in the ground until the last frost. Usually around the middle on May.
I guess you mean bulbs? Perennials are there all the year round. Plants in pots I keep off the ground by inverting their saucer so they sit on top of upturned base.

That's neat, Creative. I like making stuff from discards too. Matter of fact, I have great difficulty throwing anything away :LOL: Since we're surrounded by woods, I make a lot of trellises from branches.
I can picture that...sounds lovely and rustic! :)

I guess you mean bulbs? Perennials are there all the year round. Plants in pots I keep off the ground by inverting their saucer so they sit on top of upturned base.

I suspect JoAnn means the time you plant your vegetables and annual flowers. I'm thinking JoAnn, Simonbaker and I are around the same planting zone, somewhere around USDA Zone 5. That means we don't dare plant any annuals until there is no danger of frost, usually mid-May. Many of us still have a lot of snow, though here it's melting.

It looks like you have a nice temperate climate, where you can have flowers almost year 'round.

Last edited:
My store just installed 8 self-checkouts and holy cow, it's murder. It's one price override here, one ID check there, a card won't work, how do I ring up bananas, why isn't there a pay by check button, how does this work, error corrections, voids, why is it saying to take my items when they're already in the cart, etc., etc.

Then there are the geniuses who think self-checkouts are where the CSS (customer service supervisor...me) rings up everything for them and the customer has to bag it and put it in the cart. Riiiiiiiiiiight.

I ran into the store manager on my way to lunch, and she asked how the self-checkouts were going, as this was our first day with them.

I said, "Well, it's fine, but I don't think they're finished with the construction part of them yet."

"Oh?" she asked. "I'm sure they're done now."

I shook my head. "No, the trapdoors and the button haven't been installed yet."

She got a good laugh from that and swatted me on the arm.

Oh....I wish! I'd even settle for a catapult; especially at the service desk.

Last edited:
Self checkout technology is far from foolproof. Even if you do everything right, sometimes the machine backs up and tells you to take everything off the belt and start over. Then if there is no store personnel to clear the problem, you're stuck.

I understand these machines are there because they can save the stores a lot of money, but it's very frustrating for a customer when the alternative is to go to a traditional register and have others do all the work.

img_1412224_0_f90957060431c6dd17b809aabc7a9b55.jpg
Is that your yard right now, creative? As in, you can actually see grass NOW? Oh, how delightful! I'm not sure we'll ever see the grass - currently hidden by nearly five feet of snow. *sigh* By the way, your entire yard (what is visible) is a real delight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy, it's taking a long time for people in our area to warm up to self-checkouts, so they are really the best place to go now. No lines. At first I didn't like the fact that it was putting someone out of a job, but you can't fight progress. The only problem I have with them is when they don't recognize that you have bagged the item because it is a very small or light item. I rarely buy a lot at a time so they are a god-send for me.

Andy, it's taking a long time for people in our area to warm up to self-checkouts, so they are really the best place to go now. No lines. At first I didn't like the fact that it was putting someone out of a job, but you can't fight progress. The only problem I have with them is when they don't recognize that you have bagged the item because it is a very small or light item. I rarely buy a lot at a time so they are a god-send for me.

Our supermarket hasn't installed them yet. I do use them at Costco. That's where I feel the frustration. Their CS is on top of things.

Our Walmart has self-checkout. Years ago, one of my former students and Walmart employee offered to teach me how to use them. I try every once in awhile, but usually get a glitch or two.

Self check at Costco would truly frighten me.

Last edited:
One supermarket has had them for a couple years, the other does not, and they're at Walmart, too, but people just don't like to use them. DH started using them before I did. He HATES lines, so he got used to using them and now has me using them.

I'll brave the lines. My DH, who is terribly short on patience, wouldn't tolerate self check if it gave him any possibility of a problem.

Self checkout technology is far from foolproof. Even if you do everything right, sometimes the machine backs up and tells you to take everything off the belt and start over. Then if there is no store personnel to clear the problem, you're stuck.

I understand these machines are there because they can save the stores a lot of money, but it's very frustrating for a customer when the alternative is to go to a traditional register and have others do all the work.

We have these Walmart Neighborhood Market stores, they are basically just a Walmart version of a grocery store, not a full Walmart. Most of their registers are self scans with only two regular ones. There are many times when self scan is the only thing open, like 8 self scan registers with one person there to assist. I go in there only when they have something that nobody else does and I have yet to go in when there is a real register open.

I use self scan often, but in a situation like this you WILL get stuck behind people that have no idea how to use them. Just when you think that Walmart can't create a more miserable experience, they prove you wrong by opening up their " Neighborhood Market "

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I kinda like the self-check out. Stirling hates it. In fact, when he is with me it always causes problems that I don't usually see. But, it must not have been great for the store or a lot of customers said they hated it. One of the two stores in the area that had took them out.

I'd be quite happy to use them if they were more reliable/trouble-free. That way, SO could do the bagging rather than nagging the baggers to do it her way.

On the subject of bagging...I hate those things they have in Walmart that go around and the clerk bags as she rings. When you're done, they just leave the bags there and I never know if I have all my bags. Also, it seems that they like to put just one thing in each bag.

When you have a light item, just press it into the bag with a little pressure. We have self-checkouts at our Walmart and Sam's. I use them all of the time and never have a problem.

When you have a light item, just press it into the bag with a little pressure. We have self-checkouts at our Walmart and Sam's. I use them all of the time and never have a problem.

DH throws the light items into the bag! LOL Like 2 small pkgs of dry yeast I bought. Usually if there is any problem, help is there immediately. It's always faster than waiting in a regular check out line for us.

One of the funny problems with self-checkout is buying wine or beer. I have to stand there and wait for someone to verify my ID that I am at least 18. When I'm lucky, I can wave at the staff member in charge of self-checkout and say, "You don't really need ID, do you?" and the person pushes the appropriate button.

Back
Top Bottom