What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess those self check out things are just a sign of the times but I don't like them.

Then again, I miss the little guy in the leather bow tie pumping my gasoline, washing my windows, and checking my oil and water too.

I have a technique for overcoming impatience at long queues to check out. If they don't have magazines in that area, I ensure I pick up one or 2 en route so I have something to read once I get to the queue. Then, when it is my turn to unpack my groceries, I just place the magazine to one side. No one ever says anything! ;)

Last edited:
Whenever I go anywhere I think I may end up waiting, I throw either a library book or one of my own (older) magazines into my purse. I figure I can catch up on my own reading that way.

Today I will be attempting to dig out a dead white rose bush that got heavily attacked by bleach - from a disturbed anti social neighbour. (She has also bleached next door neighbour's hedge and killed that; now replaced by a fence). When it comes to her it's a case of "don't get me started...."
258595.gif
780422031.gif

Putting together the dreaded income tax package for the accountant!

Still missing one form, it happens every year, very frustrating!

Oh well, it's a sure sign of spring! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I grab a bag of cookies and eat them while waiting in line. If the line is long enough I finish them before I get to the register and don't have to pay for them. LOL

Just kidding!!!

I grab a bag of cookies and eat them while waiting in line. If the line is long enough I finish them before I get to the register and don't have to pay for them. LOL

Just kidding!!!

Spike and I had gone shopping. We were checking out and I started to have a really bad sugar crash. "Spike quick, help me, I need some sugar really fast!" He had a bottle of real maple syrup in his order. He grabbed it and opened it while I was trying to not hit the floor. He handed me the bottle and I chugged that syrup down like it was water. The poor checker had no idea what had just happened. Spike yelled out to the checker manager to come help me. He brought over a chair for me to sit on while Spike continued to check out his groceries. The checker manager saw the bottle of opened maple syrup. Took it back and got Spike a full new one. No charge. It has become the family joke. Whenever anyone in the family needs a new bottle of maple syrup, they ask me if I am feeling sick. :angel:

A type 1 diabetic should. I am type 2 and I don't because I have only had 1 low in 8 years. But DH always has hard candy with him, and that's works good, too. I'm not sure of Addie's circumstances.

Ditto for me.

If my blood sugar drops I can usually find something with enough carbs to get things back on track. I was taught to go in 15 gram increments and then retest after 15 minutes until I reach a safe level. It doesn't take much, a cup of milk has 11 or 12 grams.

Right, nowadays diabetics have glucose meters. My mum was diagnosed with diabetes in the early '60s. Personal glucose meters were not available. She had an episode while walking down the street. She was stopped by a cop for drunkenness. She didn't have any alcohol on her breath. Eventually they figured out that it was low blood sugar. After that we made sure she always had some glucose tablets with her that she could put under her tongue in case of low blood sugar.

For some reason, Medicare denied my doctor's prescription for a meter. I'll be talking to him about that on my next visit.

I'm type 2 as well. I have too much insulin when I eat carbs.

Off to Book Group in a few minutes. This month's book is "Jonathon Livingstone Seagull" - now there's a blast from the past! Because it's such a short book we also have John Donne's "The Flea" which is a touch risqué - old John wasn't backward at coming forward when it came to the ladies, despite being a clergyman!

MC, that is an old classic! It would be interesting to hear how your book group critiques it. I gave my old copy (maybe a 1st printing?) to our son when I also passed along my old copy of "The Little Prince". Haven't read "The Flea", but now you have my interest piqued. :whistling

Don't diabetics carry glucose/dextrose for low blood sugar?
When Himself was going through a medication adjustment for his Type 2 he would get a rare sugar crash. I kept a Hershey chocolate bar in my purse. However, on those days I was out too long and still had to hit the grocery store hungry I'd eat the bar. :ermm: At least I was able to replace it immediately. :LOL:

A type 1 diabetic should. I am type 2 and I don't because I have only had 1 low in 8 years. But DH always has hard candy with him, and that's works good, too. I'm not sure of Addie's circumstances.

I don't carry one either. That crash was the first in many years. And I haven't had one since. If I know I am going to be out of the house for a while, I make sure I eat something first. Tomorrow I am going to grocery shopping, then to lunch with my daughter and then off to the hairdressers. So I will make sure I have a small dish of scramble eggs before I head out the door. It will keep my sugar level up. If I am lucky, the shopping will be for a short while and I can just rest for a whole before heading out again.

Hard candy takes too long to work on me. I have to have a high liquid sugary dose. It works immediately on me. Even before I have finished swallowing it.

There are no set rules for diabetics. Only guidelines. :angel:

Don't diabetics carry glucose/dextrose for low blood sugar?

Only if they use insulin to manage their diabetes. Some oral meds can cause hypoglycemia in Type II Diabetics, but for the most part if they only use orals they have no problems. Most Type II's have no problems eating on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Had to go buy a new trash barrel. The guys who cleared the snow and ice dams off the roof crushed ours. They're picking up the tab.

Only if they use insulin to manage their diabetes. Some oral meds can cause hypoglycemia in Type II Diabetics, but for the most part if they only use orals they have no problems. Most Type II's have no problems eating on a regular basis.

It's true. I have the worst eating habits of any diabetic. I only eat when I remember to. Although my gastro surgery many moons ago was a life saving one, it also is the main cause of my eating problems today. They severed my Vargus nerve along with other nerves. The nerve that creates the acid and the one that tells me I am hungry. So unless I remember to eat, I don't. I don't get faint like most folks do when they don't eat for a long length of time. I wish I did. It would make my life a lot more simple to my eating habits. But in spite of my bad eating habits, I am able to keep my numbers down without medication. Don't ask me how. I have no idea. :angel:

I'm walking around the house in my big, winter, bother boots with my cane. I have to go for eye tests and see my ophthalmologist tomorrow. I broke my toe about 3 1/2 weeks ago and I want to know if the boots make the toe hurt. A week ago on Friday I tried because I wanted to go to a friend's surprise birthday party. I walked about 5 metres and the toe started to hurt. Needless to say, I missed the party. The toe hurt for a couple of days.

I will be taking a taxi to see the doctor. That assumes that the toe doesn't hurt later. Right now, it seems to be okay in the boots.

Back
Top Bottom