What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm walking around the house in my big, winter, bother boots with my cane. I have to go for eye tests and see my ophthalmologist tomorrow. I broke my toe about 3 1/2 weeks ago and I want to know if the boots make the toe hurt. A week ago on Friday I tried because I wanted to go to a friend's surprise birthday party. I walked about 5 metres and the toe started to hurt. Needless to say, I missed the party. The toe hurt for a couple of days.

I will be taking a taxi to see the doctor. That assumes that the toe doesn't hurt later. Right now, it seems to be okay in the boots.

It has been about 20 years since I owned a pair of winter boots. In fact boots of any kind. I am not a fan of winter. So if I have to go out, then it is from the door to the car. I also have stopped wearing sox for more then ten years now. I can't stand anything at all touching the graft on my wound. not even a blanket. I am absolutely paranoid when it come to my graft. That graft saved my leg. The first time on day five after the surgery, I took my first step without pain, and I grabbed my surgeon with a big hug and started to cry. She understood without saying a word. :angel:

I'm walking around the house in my big, winter, bother boots with my cane. I have to go for eye tests and see my ophthalmologist tomorrow. I broke my toe about 3 1/2 weeks ago and I want to know if the boots make the toe hurt. A week ago on Friday I tried because I wanted to go to a friend's surprise birthday party. I walked about 5 metres and the toe started to hurt. Needless to say, I missed the party. The toe hurt for a couple of days.

I will be taking a taxi to see the doctor. That assumes that the toe doesn't hurt later. Right now, it seems to be okay in the boots.

Sorry you broke your toe, I hope the boots work. At least it's still snowy and cold instead of summer!

Sorry you broke your toe, I hope the boots work. At least it's still snowy and cold instead of summer!
Thanks PF. But, it would be so much handier if it were summer. Walking in flipflops works. I had actually planned to wear flipflops and socks. Then we got all that snow and it might snow today, so flipflops won't work. Of course, then I would be worried about someone stepping on my toe.

I am type 2 diabetic, and I can go for hours and hours without eating without getting a low. I think I eventually get what's called a liver dump and that brings my blood sugar back up. Not all type 2s are like that. For a while I was taking a med that did lower my blood sugar and I did get a couple lows, but now, without that med, that doesn't happen.

I am type 2 diabetic, and I can go for hours and hours without eating without getting a low. I think I eventually get what's called a liver dump and that brings my blood sugar back up. Not all type 2s are like that. For a while I was taking a med that did lower my blood sugar and I did get a couple lows, but now, without that med, that doesn't happen.

My doctor has finally gotten the message to dose me according to my weight. I am the size of a child. I have had my BP meds reduced twice after a couple of trips to the ER due to low BP readings. Now I need to get my carbs in order. For the past two or three days I have had some extremely high readings, 282 to very low for me. 118. All in the same day. I would rather go back on the meds than play games with my food. When I hit the lows, I can get my readings up within seconds. Not the same when the reading is too high. How the heck do I get that down quickly? I am going into Winthrop on Thursday to talk to the dietician. I faxed over my readings for the past two weeks. Within minutes I got a call from the head nurse. THEY want to see me as soon as possible. :angel:

Just lugged home a duvet (double bed size - 2 in one/all seasons) on a little trolley base. Phew!

I made the mistake of buying a new mattress that had synthetic filling. (I couldn't establish what my old mattress had until it was too late - mixed fibres, i.e. had some natural content). The mistake being apparent on the first night's sleep - overheating/burning up, i.e. enough to wake me up, face sweating! :ohmy: I had no idea this was possible!

Very few stores take mattresses back and this store did not. I was seduced by the price and it being the last few days of the sale. Apparently "not fit for purpose" does not cover what I experience! Hmm.
258595.gif

So, in order to offset the heat, I have changed my synthetic duvet for a goose feather & down one (since they "breathe") and will soon be buying a thick, natural mattress protector. (I have a hot water bottle to fill with cold water as standby....chilled water if necessary!) Feels like a major operation: operation Chill!

Last edited:
Addie, I would think that it would be dangerous to put you back on meds to lower your BS unless you are going to commit to eating regular meals. I understand that after your surgery you no longer get the hunger message, but in that case you should set an alarm to go off to remind you to have a meal, even if it's a small one. I think they are going to tell you that you need to eat regular balanced meals to keep your blood sugar from going too high. Taking a walk will bring down a high blood sugar, but I understand that is not something you can do. It would be better to eat in such a way to keep it from going too high.

By the way, I am not a doctor. Do not take my suggestions as a replacement to talking to your doctor.

Last edited:
Went out for a late morning haircut appointment to find I had a completely flat tire. Fortunately, SO was home so I used her car. When I got back, I pumped the tire and dropped it off at the garage for repair. SO can drop me off when she gets back from getting our grandson.

Getting ready to pick up Rob's car from the shop. It's his annual checkup and oil change. I have to get on Rob to take car of his car. He had them look it over from stem to stern, and check his belts. He had the oil changed and all of the belts replaced (they were 11 years old, and almost 80,000 miles). They say everything is now tip top.

If I didn't get on him about servicing his car, he'd run it until it stopped! There is no good reason NOT to take care of a paid off 11 year old car with less than 80,000 miles on it!

Addie, I would think that it would be dangerous to put you back on meds to lower your BS unless you are going to commit to eating regular meals. I understand that after your surgery you no longer get the hunger message, but in that case you should set an alarm to go off to remind you to have a meal, even if it's a small one. I think they are going to tell you that you need to eat regular balanced meals to keep your blood sugar from going too high. Taking a walk will bring down a high blood sugar, but I understand that is not something you can do. It would be better to eat in such a way to keep it from going too high.

By the way, I am not a doctor. Do not take my suggestions as a replacement to talking to your doctor.

I hear you Carol. I am going in to Winthrop to find out what is going on. They think this all may be tied to all the weight I lost in just one month.

I did take out a Porter House steak. I fixed it with McComack garlic/sea salt that I bought a couple of months ago. Now I am just waiting for it to thaw out a little more. Then I will have it with some steamed broccoli and petite peas.

That garlic/sea salt is delicious. I do have a freezer full of meats/proteins. Not today, but I will be making a baked potato probably tomorrow for the burger I have in there. Hamburg is not my favorite meat. But it is quick and easy. I am more likely to eat something quick and easy than something that is complicated and takes time to prepare and cook. Winthrop also ask me to keep a food diary from yesterday until I see them on Thursday. :angel:

I'm shredding cheese with my micro-plane. I'm doing it in spurts because I don't have enough spoons to do it in one go. It's so Stirling can make fettuccine Alfredo tonight.

I'm shredding cheese with my micro-plane. I'm doing it in spurts because I don't have enough spoons to do it in one go. It's so Stirling can make fettuccine Alfredo tonight.

You totally lost me on this one TL. Why do you need a spoon with a micro-plane?

I have a Porter House steak thawing out. I will bring it with me. The two of you can each have a bite if I can have some Alfredo. :angel:

Thanks. Yesterday I didn't have any spoons. Even if someone handed me a fist full of them I would have dropped all of them. I will have to remember that.

Yesterday I was so sick. Every time I lifted my head off my pillow, I went into a spasm of dry heaves. My spoons must have been at someone else's home. :angel:

Last edited:
Thanks. Yesterday I didn't have any spoons. Even if someone handed me a fist full of them I would have dropped all of them. I will have to remember that.

Yesterday I was so sick. Every time I lifted my head off my pillow, I went into a spasm of dry heaves. My spoons must have been at someone else's home. :angel:
I hope you're feeling better tomorrow

WOW!
I just fell in love with my B-day present.:wub:
Fire HD 7 - Amazon's Official Site - Learn More

This thing is awesome.I'm amazed by the picture and sound quality from it.Tested it on Netflix last night.Watched 4400.Awesome display!

Still learning to watch my step when I'm on Amazon.Looking for cookbooks can be dangerous.They don't kid around with the one click wonder buys....I'm broke now.Please send your donations to....:ROFLMAO:

Can't wait to see how well it works on the road.So far using it for reading recipes has finally been made much easier on my eyes.It was to the point I was avoiding reading anything online or off because of the strain.It certainly beats lugging a heavy awkward laptop around.

Yep, life does get better with age.:ohmy::angel:

I'm sitting down with a cup of tea having just cleared up the kitchen after an afternoon's baking. Two (caraway) seed cakes, a batch of ginger oat cookies in the storage boxes and a batch of bread dough sitting in my cold kitchen to rise slowly and bake tomorrow. Enough to make a loaf to eat and a loaf to freeze. Feeling very pleased with myself.

I make cake for myself, obviously, but I also give one away to the lady who feeds Tetley on Thursday and Sunday nights. Not sure how she feels about caraway seed. A lot of people aren't keen.

Just lugged home a duvet (double bed size - 2 in one/all seasons) on a little trolley base. Phew!

I made the mistake of buying a new mattress that had synthetic filling. (I couldn't establish what my old mattress had until it was too late - mixed fibres, i.e. had some natural content). The mistake being apparent on the first night's sleep - overheating/burning up, i.e. enough to wake me up, face sweating! :ohmy: I had no idea this was possible!

Very few stores take mattresses back and this store did not. I was seduced by the price and it being the last few days of the sale. Apparently "not fit for purpose" does not cover what I experience! Hmm.
258595.gif

So, in order to offset the heat, I have changed my synthetic duvet for a goose feather & down one (since they "breathe") and will soon be buying a thick, natural mattress protector. (I have a hot water bottle to fill with cold water as standby....chilled water if necessary!) Feels like a major operation: operation Chill!
I have a deep feather and down mattress topper that I bought from QVC a few years ago. Expensive but one of the best things I ever bought! It needs a bit of a shake every other day and I let it air for an hour or two when I change the bedding and it fluffs up beautifully. The great thing is that it's never too warm or too cold and it feels like lying on a cloud.

WOW!
I just fell in love with my B-day present.:wub:
Fire HD 7 - Amazon's Official Site - Learn More

This thing is awesome.I'm amazed by the picture and sound quality from it.Tested it on Netflix last night.Watched 4400.Awesome display!

Still learning to watch my step when I'm on Amazon.Looking for cookbooks can be dangerous.They don't kid around with the one click wonder buys....I'm broke now.Please send your donations to....:ROFLMAO:

Can't wait to see how well it works on the road.So far using it for reading recipes has finally been made much easier on my eyes.It was to the point I was avoiding reading anything online or off because of the strain.It certainly beats lugging a heavy awkward laptop around.

Yep, life does get better with age.:ohmy::angel:
Stirling has the Samsung something or other. This does look better. For one thing, it has front and rear facing cameras. His only has the front facing, so he can't really take photos other than selfies and he doesn't do selfies. Does it have a slot for a SIM card? That makes a tablet a lot more versatile. Stirling's does. He only uses that when there is no WiFi available. In a year and a half, he hasn't gone over 150 Meg of data using the SIM card more than twice.

Back
Top Bottom