What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They sang me the song of their people until the sun came up, then I put on my Bluetooth headphones and they have had to listen to ME sing, pay back!

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Then this happened for 100 miles...

Attachments

• 1427836635512.jpg
    1427836635512.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 144
Then this happened for 100 miles...
Is that fog? I hate driving through the mountains in the fog, especially if it's an unfamiliar road. Always afraid we'll go off the edge! :LOL: Thankfully, it's not as much of an issue on an interstate. Still, safe travels. Let us know when you, your Mom, and the quartet of yodelers arrive at your destination.

Is that fog? I hate driving through the mountains in the fog, especially if it's an unfamiliar road. Always afraid we'll go off the edge! :LOL: Thankfully, it's not as much of an issue on an interstate. Still, safe travels. Let us know when you, your Mom, and the quartet of yodelers arrive at your destination.

Nope, snow! Shortly after that it was almost a white out and accumulating on the road. I haven't driven in those conditions for almost 20 years, and never in a big truck!

Right now I am watching Part 2 on PBS about cancer. Sunday night they had a special on brain cancer. I watched that and didn't miss a word. :angel:

Just talked with Steve in New York after his mother's funeral today. He will bringing home a recorded conversation from his parents life together that was made 10 yrs ago, just before his Dad died at at age 95. His mother was 102 when she passed a few days ago. What a treasure! I can't wait to hear.

What I would give to hear my parents voices again.

:ohmy: Bakechef, take care....! I'm sure you are...looks like some pretty rough driving.

Kay...wow, 95 and 102. Can't really hope for much better than that. :wub: I know what you mean, I miss my parents every single day. How awesome to have a record of part of their life together.

Addie, I noticed your new pic...is it one of your daughters? :angel:

I'm looking through recipes and texting with my daughter about this weekend's Easter dinner. My granddaughters will be here tomorrow for the week - I'm so excited - they only get down for weekends once a month or so, and school vacations. They live in Central CA with their mom - so technically, they're my step grands, but I love them just as much as if they had been born into the family. They are 10 and 13 and just as delightful as can be. And everyone in the blended family gets along, which is an added plus! :)

Last edited:
:ohmy: Bakechef, take care....! I'm sure you are...looks like some pretty rough driving.

Kay...wow, 95 and 102. Can't really hope for much better than that. :wub: I know what you mean, I miss my parents every single day. How awesome to have a record of part of their life together.

Addie, I noticed your new pic...is it one of your daughters? :angel:

I'm looking through recipes and texting with my daughter about this weekend's Easter dinner. My granddaughters will be here tomorrow for the week - I'm so excited - they only get down for weekends once a month or so, and school vacations. They live in Central CA with their mom - so technically, they're my step grands, but I love them just as much as if they had been born into the family. They are 10 and 13 and just as delightful as can be. And everyone in the blended family gets along, which is an added plus! :)

Yes. It is the last picture taken of her when she was alive. She had her children in the picture, but I gave it to a professional artist to paint just her. He then took five pictures of the painting, with a different child with her. How the heck he managed to do it, I don't know. Maybe Photo Shop. So each child has a picture of her with just that child alone. Her oldest has one with her and the original picture. :angel:

Nope, snow! Shortly after that it was almost a white out and accumulating on the road. I haven't driven in those conditions for almost 20 years, and never in a big truck!

Well, you've made it safely so far (hope I'm not jinxing you...:ermm: ) and I would think you're out of any more chance of snow. Just be careful! (can you tell I'm a Mom?)

...What I would give to hear my parents voices again.
I can still "hear" my parents' voices in my head. Funny, isn't it? I read a long time ago that memory of sound fades first after your loved one dies, and I never wanted to lose the sound of my Dad calling me by my nickname or my Mom saying "love you more" every time I told her I loved her. It was our routine every night when we were ending our daily phone call. So I guess I practice those sounds in my head every day. But it would be a blessing and a joy to hear them again for real. *sniff*

Yeah, it sounds just like a mother. My mother has been gone for 50 years now and I still hear her yelling at my father every time we would whistle together. We used to do different arias. "Milton, how am I going to teach her to act like a lady, if you insist teaching her songs to whistle?" And we would just keep whistling along. He would do the harmony and I would do the melody.

Every so often I would tell her, "Don't worry, I know how to set a proper table and use the right fork or spoon." And then I would cross my legs. For that I would get a good slap on my leg. Proper young ladies cross their ankles, not the whole leg.

And these past forty years or so, I sound just like her. My oldest daughter remembers her very well and she reminds me, "Ma, this is not Nana's time. Those days are gone forever." Sadly so! :angel:

Okay, I need some help. It has been years since I stopped by at the freezer section when grocery shopping. The Pirate comes here almost every night for something to eat. I have plenty of food, but it is all frozen or fresh veggies. I don't buy anything frozen. I can make it myself.

So I am trying to think of frozen meals I can buy to keep on hand. I am getting tired of cooking for him. All ideas are welcome. What kind of frozen food can I purchase (he's paying) that I can pop into the micro or toaster oven?

Thanks. :angel:

Okay, I need some help. It has been years since I stopped by at the freezer section when grocery shopping. The Pirate comes here almost every night for something to eat. I have plenty of food, but it is all frozen or fresh veggies. I don't buy anything frozen. I can make it myself.

So I am trying to think of frozen meals I can buy to keep on hand. I am getting tired of cooking for him. All ideas are welcome. What kind of frozen food can I purchase (he's paying) that I can pop into the micro or toaster oven?

Addie, why don't you ask him what he likes.

I'm reminded of a conversation from when I lived in Denmark. My grandmother was "mothering" my aunt. Eventually my aunt said, "Mom, did you forget that I am a grandmother?"

I have been wondering about some of the new shelf stable meals that I have seen in the grocery store. If any of you have experience with them please pass it along with your frozen food tips.
Hormel-Compleats.jpg

I don't have much experience with this type of convenience food. When I was working and would lose interest in cooking I made casseroles like American Chop Suey, chili, Spanish rice or things like meatloaf, roast chicken and a bag salad. I broke up the monotony with a plate of eggs, or a takeout fish dinner, Chinese food, a slice of pizza etc... Before I knew it the week was over and I had really only cooked once or twice. It was relatively cheap and easy. I was really too tired to care about the fact that I had eaten the same thing several nights in a row! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Good luck!

Last edited:
Last night, after we had our welcome home dinner, the phone rang. His mother had just died. She certainly did it her way, as after she saw her two children together, she was done. Steve will again be on a plane across the country for the funeral in New York. The only empty seat he could get on such short notice is an overnight 5 hr. flight on Sunday. Thankfully, he's in good health but I still worry about him.

My condolences to you and Steve.

I have seen this happen so often. Folks seem to be waiting until they have seen everyone, it's all they are holding on for.

Back
Top Bottom