What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They will sometimes have that info. Someone mentions their grandparent, with a link, on FaceBook. Next thing someone collects enough info to trick the grandparent. Of course it doesn't always work. But, sometimes the panic of grandchild-needs-emergency-medical care or whatever, freaks out the grandparent enough to forget to ask the right questions.
Well at least this is now an established scam so the chances of catching someone out must be now minimised. Nevertheless, I can see that the elderly may be fairly easy targets e.g. with fading memory.

Addie did the supermarket have security and CCTV ? , hopefully the man can be found ?

Yes they do have CCTV. In fact they have so many close ups of him. They picked the best one for the TV stations to show. Pirate was able to identify him as soon as his face showed up on the screen the first time. They have pictures of him just wandering around the store.

He is still loose. I hope when they do that Pirate is not there because he will want to finish what he started. I would hate to visit him in prison. :angel:

Wow...never heard of that here in UK. I guess it relies on the ability not to detect who the grandson is. I would have thought some elemental questions would sort that out, i.e. name, age etc.
A variation of it crops up from time to time. I had an email from a friend who was stranded in Madrid airport because she'd had her bag stolen with her tickets and money. I was asked to send her a huge sum so that she could get home. I would have been suspicious anyway and would have made enquiries but in this case I didn't have to as she was standing next to me at the time!

In any case most of my friends and family know that I'd be the last person to have a couple of thousand pounds lying around waiting for them to have a crisis!

I Googled Viola Meal in a Bag. and Hormel Foods. Plenty of ideas and meals there, Enough to keep him fed for a month.

The only reason I can do this is because he gets way more then me in food stamps. So I will use his to buy his food. He keeps telling me to buy food for myself with his stamps. But I would rather spend the money on his needs than mine.

Everyday when I come here and sit on the porch with Buttons on my lap with my cup of coffee, I am reminded of how grateful I am that I have friends like all of you. All in one day I can vent and spout off, laugh my head off, have compassion for someone, and so many other emotions. Today I can feel grateful for all your help. I even learned about some new products. I left a bottle of Champagne as a thank you gift for all of you.

Thanks. :angel:
Glad we can help

They will sometimes have that info. Someone mentions their grandparent, with a link, on FaceBook. Next thing someone collects enough info to trick the grandparent. Of course it doesn't always work. But, sometimes the panic of grandchild-needs-emergency-medical care or whatever, freaks out the grandparent enough to forget to ask the right questions.

And it is for this very reason when I do post with any member, I never refer to what relation they are to me. And most of my posts are very short. Nice picture. That is good news. etc.

And when it comes to Poo, I have to be ever mindful of his medical license and location. Who knows what drug addict may be looking for someone to write a script for them. I don't put any information out there regarding my family. If there is something you really need to tell me, use the phone. It would be nice to hear from you. :angel:

Just talked with Steve in New York after his mother's funeral today. He will bringing home a recorded conversation from his parents life together that was made 10 yrs ago, just before his Dad died at at age 95. His mother was 102 when she passed a few days ago. What a treasure! I can't wait to hear.

What I would give to hear my parents voices again.
Sorry to hear about your loss. Thoughts on way to you and Steve.

Shopping this morning and the stables all afternoon. Tetley had made a real pig's ear of his bed so I had to do a big muck out to get rid of his, erm, deposits. Really he is the filthiest horse I've ever had dealings with. Stable looked like there's been an all night party in there! I'm sure I don't feed him as much as comes out the other end.

Horrid wet day so Tetley didn't go out to play - not much point in turning him out when all he'd do would be to stand knee deep in mud, looking miserable. He's a nuisance when I have to muck out his stable while he's in it - he has to follow me round, investigating what I'm doing!

I just got done prepping as much as I can for Easter dinner at my daughter's tomorrow afternoon. I'm bringing a few dishes, she's baking the ham and a few dishes.

We're having Easter dinner tomorrow instead of Sunday, because my granddaughters will be on the road Sunday, headed back home to central CA. They have school Monday.

MC, I enjoy your Tetley stories. He sounds like a large dog, following you around! If ever you can get a pic of him, I'm sure we all would like to see the famous Tetley. :)

Last edited:
Yes, would love to see a pic of Tetley, filthy or not!

So far today I've managed to load the dishwasher. That's it. I think being on a plane with a three hour delay in Atlanta and getting coughed on by a whole bunch of people has done something to both DH's and my energy levels. He's been comatose and sleeping, and I've been marginally upright for the past three days.

I did get out the fixings for corn chowder which I plan to make tomorrow, just not now.

Glad we can help

And you all certainly did help. Thanks a lot!

Now on to my next dilemma.

Do any of you pay your bills on line and use the automatic withdrawal from your bank account feature? I have four bills that I pay every month on line. I am seriously thinking of do such. But I have always felt that I had to be in charge of my funds. Is this manner of bill paying really safe? Should I go for it and can I withdraw it any time I want? :angel:

Mad Cook, another Tetley fan here, too! You now have a few of us clamoring for a photo.

Dawg, I hope you shake off whatever unwanted souvenir you brought home. Feel better soon.

Addie, Himself has a number of monthly bills paid automatically online. I don't know how he did it, since I run other parts of the budget and I'm not the techie in the house. I know Andy has mentioned that he pays practically every one of his bills online or automatically. You might want to check with him since he seems to be DCs numbers wizard. Another reliable source would be to check with your bank. I'm sure they have someone on staff that could help you set things up.

Addie, I pay Just about all my bills online. It may work differently in the US. Those bills that are always the same amount, I set up a payment schedule at my bank's website. I can change that payment schedule anytime I want, myself. (The bank calls those "recurring payments".) Those bills that vary in amount, I pay when I get them, at the bank's website. Some of my bills get automagically paid by credit card. I gave the companies permission to do that and I can tell them to stop any time. I pay off that credit card, in full every month. I earn "Canadian Tire Money" for everything I spend with that card. I don't like giving companies my banking info, but I did give it to my insurance company, and they take the monthly instalments for my house and car insurance.

Last edited:
...Do any of you pay your bills on line and use the automatic withdrawal from your bank account feature? I have four bills that I pay every month on line. I am seriously thinking of do such. But I have always felt that I had to be in charge of my funds. Is this manner of bill paying really safe? Should I go for it and can I withdraw it any time I want? :angel:

Addie, giving a company permission to take the amount of a bill from your account every month is one way of dong automatic payment. Another is to use the bill payer function your bank offers.

The difference is who initiates the payment. In the first option, the company automatically takes the billed amount from your account every month and you never have to do a thing.

With the second option, you have to receive the bill and go to your bank's online bill payer service and enter the amount to be paid and the payment date each month. If you forget, you're payment wont get made. This what I do.

The second option gives you a little more control. You can examine your bill for errors before you commit to paying that amount. The first option is a "set it and forget it" option.

I don't use the first option so I don't know a lot of details. I would assume you can stop the auto withdrawals anytime. I don't know how long that takes or what the process is.

Been busy this morning and it's only 9:15. I'm going out to my daughter's for our Easter dinner this afternoon. The scalloped potatoes and lattice top peach pie (Claim Jumper;)) are in the oven, eggs are coming to a boil for deviled eggs, the carrots are peeled and sliced for steaming, the pineapple, mango and watermelon are prepped and ready to cut up for the fruit salad.

I need another cup of coffee. :ermm: :LOL:

I just made a batch of Salt and Pepper's gum drops in lemon flavor for Sunday. SIL loves lemon desserts and so do I.

Yes, would love to see a pic of Tetley, filthy or not!

Here you are. It was my avatar when I first landed in DC. Taken in his (drag)hunting days. It's not me riding him. Bev was the "girl" friend of the previous Master of Hounds ('nuff said!) and she had Tetley on part loan for hunting on side saddle a few years back.

File0003_large.jpg

It isn't a very flattering picture of him. He doesn't seem to take a very good photo and he's much better looking in real-life

Last edited:
Addie, giving a company permission to take the amount of a bill from your account every month is one way of dong automatic payment. Another is to use the bill payer function your bank offers.

The difference is who initiates the payment. In the first option, the company automatically takes the billed amount from your account every month and you never have to do a thing.

With the second option, you have to receive the bill and go to your bank's online bill payer service and enter the amount to be paid and the payment date each month. If you forget, you're payment wont get made. This what I do.

The second option gives you a little more control. You can examine your bill for errors before you commit to paying that amount. The first option is a "set it and forget it" option.

I don't use the first option so I don't know a lot of details. I would assume you can stop the auto withdrawals anytime. I don't know how long that takes or what the process is.
Addie, I use the "set it and forget it" method ie "direct debit" as it's called over here, where the company you are paying requests the payment from your bank. The rules may be different over with you but here the company you are paying sets the amount which is payable and the date on which it goes out and can't change either without letting you know either by email or in writing and there is a legally binding direct debit guarantee which the companies and banks have to comply with. With some companies we have the option to choose the date on which the payment goes out. If the payment falls due on a Bank Holiday (a public holiday such as Christmas Day) or a Saturday or Sunday, then it is taken out on the next working day. We can stop the payments any time we like by just instructing the bank although it's a good idea to tell the company as well.

We also have a "standing order" system where you set up a payment to go out at regular intervals. The difference it that the standing order is an arrangement between you and your bank and the bank follows your instruction to make the payment and the receiving company just accepts it without any input at all apart from telling you its account details.

I use both depending on which is more convenient for me. Direct debit is great for things you might forget about until it's too late eg insurance payments or the television licence or the car tax or for magazine subscriptions. Sometimes companies over here will give you a discount if you pay by direct debit.

As I say, you'd need to check that the same rules apply at your end but I hope this helps you formulate your questions on the systems that apply where you are.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom